Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networks detected but not found by setup app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Setting my new Aria up has proven to be an incredibly frustrating, and ultimately fruitless, seven hour exercise in futility.

Have tried everything suggested in Help docs, watched a number of videos, renamed SSIDs, changed passwords, channels, bands. Have tested a number of suggestions from these and other user forums. Tried both PC and mobile installs. Tried different machines, 2 iPads & an iPhone.

The closest I've got was using the web-based installer in Safari on my iPad. After connecting to the Aria WiFi and clicking the "I'm connected" button, the browser goes to the "Available Wireless Networks" page but no networks show at all. Strangely that's also the moment that the scales' screen starts to scroll a "NETWORKS DETECTED" message.

To add to my frustration, there definitely seems to be a link established between the installer and the scale - pressing the "Refresh Networks" button instantly causes the scrolling message on the scale to restart. But it still doesn't return any wifi networks to select.

It really, really, really shouldn't be this frustrating to setup a supposedly advance wifi enabled device.

Life is way too short for the hassles. I'm tired of searching for and testing solutions for something that should be comparatively simple. If Aria doesn't want to play nice very soon, she's going back into her box, and getting kicked back to her cold, miserable store shelf.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

I had a similar problem trying to register or setup for a second time when my new ARIA was removed from my Fitbit Account...I finally became so frustrated that I returned it to Fitbit and I ordered a Bowflex Scale that shows weight, body fat, BMI and calories to gain or lose weight...However it doesn't link to my computer

Best Answer

I am having the same hassles. I have a huge case of buyers remorse as I am so frustrated at trying to set up the Aria scale. Wish I had known it was this difficult before I got them.

Best Answer

I think several Fitbit Aria Scales have a bug or defect.....A scale should not be this complicated just to setup... 

Best Answer
A follow-up post for completeness:
After calling it quits last night, I started with fresh hope this morning. Many depressing posts later I found this ex-Aria user posted a near identical situation as mine to this board almost a year ago (https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Aria/Aria-scale-network-woes/m-p/184429). That means my issues are not new or unheard of. Little relief though as that user never received a single directed reply from FitBit support despite detailing exactly what he had tried and where the setup system failed. A few kind-hearted users do offer some suggestions in that post, but just like the original user, on trying these I got no further with my Aria setup at all.

I gave her every opportunity to make me a believer, but she failed.

Returned the scale this afternoon. They didn't even bother to suggest a store credit - I was offered a full, no-questions-asked refund with their Customer Service rep telling me that they'd had a number of returns in the past with similar problems. I took a Withings Wi-Fi Scale off the shelf alongside the remaining Arias, and took the difference as a refund.

Got home, unpacked the box and spent exactly 2 minutes to set it up, connect it to my home wifi network, link it to my Withings account and app, weigh myself, and see my profile updated. 2 minutes.

So it doesn't have a cute name and it doesn't calculate BF% (although from my reading I gather Aria doesn't handle that specific stat very well anyway). It's a little cheaper, looks equally as good, and by far most importantly, it works.
Best Answer

I'm also having this problem. The scrolling text on the aria even says "Networks Detected" but on the web page? Nothing! On the software on my computer? NADA. 

This is absurd. Something that costs this much to do so little should do it well. 

Best Answer

Hello everyone and welcome to this thread @kirat! So sorry to hear that your Aria scales are unable to connect with your networks. I would like you to follow the setup process as advised in this thread. This should help you to get your Aria scales connected with your Wi-Fi.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friends! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's incredible what utter garbage aria's wifi chipset is considering how much it costs.

The First aria I got couldn't connect to my wifi because the router didn't run some old standard (I think 802.11b, or something similar). I had to change my router setup to get it to work.

After the first aria died (for no reason btw), I got another one to replace it. This one had the problem of network detection. For hours, I was trying to make it work from my laptop (MS Surface Book, Windows 10) and the web interface. Then, I remembered the crap wifi aria has, and I dug out a 5 year old lenovo laptop. From that laptop evertyhing went smoothly. 

So, my recommendation for anybody with a similar problem is a) return the aria and get a scale with decent hardware, or b) find an old computer that will not confuse the aria wifi chipset.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's March 2017 and this problem is still not resolved.  What in the hell is going on?!  Detected Networks keeps scrolling but can't seem to sync to my application?  I am going to return this tomorrow and pick up a competitor's scale.  I feel embarrassed for purchasing such a **ahem** product.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Its 2019 and I am having this same issue...fitbit what is the problem!

Best Answer

@ariaisawful Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear about the setup difficulties you've experienced with your Aria scale. I would like to follow up on this issue and would like to know the following details: Did you make changes to your network (router, router settings or WiFi password)? Is your Aria showing any other error message? What is the make and model of your router?

This information will help me to assist you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, 

I have the same issue. I changed my router and I tried to connect to the new one but without success. There is always NETWORKS DETECTED on the ARIA and on the browser after entered the password it tells there is not possible to connect.

Who solved this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrea

Best Answer
0 Votes

replaced the router, and cannot connect the Aria. Following instructions. I do get "connected, no internet available" when connecting to the wifi. The setup then tries to complete, and fails. So frustrating. I have enjoyed the Aria for a couple years. Disappointed that it can't jump the hurdle of a new router.

I never get to the place where it asks for the password.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@andrew87 @mcfloozy It's great to see you guys in the Fitbit forums! I'll be happy to assist you with the connection issues that your Aria scales are experiencing with your new routers.

I'd just like to know a few details that will help me to determine the cause of the issue: What is the make and model of your routers? Are your routers running the protocol 802.11b and bandwidth 2.4GHz? Does your WiFi password contain special characters? These details can be reviewed with your Internet service providers.

See you guys later! 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @JuanJoFitbit thanks for your answer.

Yes my router is running the protocol 802.11b and bandwidth 2.4GHz and my WiFi password doesn't contain any special characters.

Anyway I solved the issues changing the router settings, selecting on "Check Lateral Band" the parameter: INFERIOR. (I don't know if I translate it well because it was in Italian).

And then when Aria was looking for wifi, I write it manually (writing ssid (that is wifi name) and password) and then Aria connected to the wifi.

I found this solution after struggling a lot on router settings. It's not really a user-friendly step when someone change the router and I think everybody has to change different parameters based on their new router.

It would be good (if it's possible) if the connected scales can be updated with online updates in order that they can recognize the new technologies of routers. But I don't know if this is technically possible with an online update of the Aria software or if this is an hardware issue.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

Andrew87

Best Answer

@JuanJoFitbit   I've had my Aria for years and worked just fine.  Recently I had to change my wifi ( Comcast Xfinity router/modem, it's the latest model)  and now my Aria will not connect ---   same issue as all the people in this thread...      BTW,   all my other devices around the home reconnected to the new wifi w/out any problems (cameras, Alexa, smarttvs, even my water irrigation system)  --- so FITBIT,  please tell me you can as well....

Best Answer

@andrew87 Thank you for getting back! I'm so glad to hear that you managed to get your Aria scale connected to your network. Thank you for posting the update here and thank you for sharing your feedback since this helps us to keep improving. Don't hesitate to get back if more assistance is needed.

@lmoy Welcome to this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria is not connecting to your network either. It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Your patience and feedback are greatly appreciated.

Best Answer
I no longer can edit the wifi mode on XFINITY -- any other suggestions? Why
am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel
Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these
settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home
network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you
have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed
separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and
password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network
that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit Hi Juan, thanks for your reply -- I tried to find the settings you describe ... Comcast has removed that option on the latest setup;  see note below.    Any other suggestions?

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given time.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit Hi Juan, Any update from FITBIT ?  this is the only device that can't re-reconnect to the Comcast WIFI ! 

-- I tried to find the settings you describe ... Comcast has removed that option on the latest setup;  see note below.    Any other suggestions?

Why am I no longer able to view/change some advanced settings?

If you don't see the 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi settings (WiFi Mode, Channel Selection, and Channel Mode) in Advanced Settings, this means these settings are now being managed automatically to help optimize your home network and provide the best performance possible. Additionally, if you have xFi Pods, you won't see your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi networks listed separately. Pods require that you only have one WiFi network name and password, so that all of your devices can seamlessly connect to the network that will provide the best WiFi signal at any given t

Best Answer