Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Networks detected but not found by setup app

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Setting my new Aria up has proven to be an incredibly frustrating, and ultimately fruitless, seven hour exercise in futility.

Have tried everything suggested in Help docs, watched a number of videos, renamed SSIDs, changed passwords, channels, bands. Have tested a number of suggestions from these and other user forums. Tried both PC and mobile installs. Tried different machines, 2 iPads & an iPhone.

The closest I've got was using the web-based installer in Safari on my iPad. After connecting to the Aria WiFi and clicking the "I'm connected" button, the browser goes to the "Available Wireless Networks" page but no networks show at all. Strangely that's also the moment that the scales' screen starts to scroll a "NETWORKS DETECTED" message.

To add to my frustration, there definitely seems to be a link established between the installer and the scale - pressing the "Refresh Networks" button instantly causes the scrolling message on the scale to restart. But it still doesn't return any wifi networks to select.

It really, really, really shouldn't be this frustrating to setup a supposedly advance wifi enabled device.

Life is way too short for the hassles. I'm tired of searching for and testing solutions for something that should be comparatively simple. If Aria doesn't want to play nice very soon, she's going back into her box, and getting kicked back to her cold, miserable store shelf.

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

There are multiple people with this problem yet @JuanJoFitbit has simply let the trhread die without response. Why?

Best Answer

Fitbit support and products are on a downward spiral - very sad 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi All, I recently changed routers to a mesh network with Nest WiFi. Tried to set up my Aria scale and kept getting the Network Not Found message after inputting my WiFi password. I read a few forums here and tried the ideas: first I turned off cellular data; and second I manually entered the name of my WiFi network instead of selecting it from the list of ones the setup found for me. It worked! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

TLDR; pick one: a secure network with updated firmware or an Aria connected on a vulnerable network.

Earlier this week, my better half created a new virtual network on which to host all IOT Devices.

His wireless access points are all 802.11a/b/g/n, and his network uses WPA2 Enterprise grade encryption with DHCP enabled. These fulfill the Aria setup requirements; however, I could not connect my device to the IOT network nor could I connect it to the old network.

I spent four hours of my weekend troubleshooting this device and scouring the internet for knowledge base threads and discussions. This thread, though started in 2015, mirrors my problems to the T.

I contacted support and spent the better part of an hour arguing that a WAP certified for 802.11a/b/g/n was indeed compatible with for 802.11b protocols. I made the analogy that by Fitbit’s logic, a type AB+ person bleed out instead of accepting the universally accepted type O- blood. Ultimately, it was recommended that I contact my Internet Service Provider to resolve the problem.

During the time that the IOT network was deployed, firmware was also updated on the routers and wireless access points throughout the house.  With the firmware update, a whole slew of vulnerabilities was patched, and an Archaic Mode was added for older, insecure devices.

Only after enabling Archaic Mode on the IOT network was I able to recognize the network from Aria configuration settings and add it.

At face value, this resolved my immediate wireless connectivity problems with the Aria; however, my gripe with Fitbit is with the protocols used in manufacturing the Aria the first place.

802.11b was superseded by IEEE back in 2004, yet Fitbit decided to use obsolete wireless protocols when designing int Aria in 2012 (and in subsequent releases up to my 2015 purchase).  To accommodate the scale, I now have a considerable vulnerability on my network.  It has become apparent that the Aria was not designed with current standards much less any level of future-proofing to ensure network compatibility down the road.

Worse yet, many other users do not have the luxury of deploying multiple networks to insulate themselves from these restrictive network requirements that would leave them exposed to network vulnerabilities.

Over the last eight years, I have loyally purchased the Charge HR2, the Blaze, the Ionic, and the Aria. Many of my upgrades have been with QA problems from the prior products.

I documented all of this information and updated support with my findings. I asked for concessions buying the Aria 2 which (hopefully) would allow me to patch vulnerabilities on my network via firmware updates without losing connectivity to my scale.

Ultimately, I got the same lackluster response that I should contact my ISP even though I isolated the problem.

This is precisely why I am done with the Fitbit brand. I post this experience with hopes that other users (a) get closure on this unacceptable design flaw that continues to recur the last half-decade and (b) to alert fellow consumers that money is better spent elsewhere.

When it becomes painfully apparent that Fitbit couldn’t care less about the quality of their product or customer support, maybe enough people will leave the brand for Fitbit to get their affairs in order.

Best Answer

I’m there w you - no way I’m going to go back in time to archaic protocols to expose my network - 

Fitbit knows they screwed up , but does Google know what they are really buying ??? 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Fitbit should be ashamed they ever sold the Aria. I have tried every suggestion posted by JuanJoFitbit and others. I encountered this problem when I moved and connected to ATT fiber last year. I unsuccessfully tried for hours then. I recently installed Google Nest routers and thought, "Maybe it will work with the Nest." Big mistake. Tried all the suggestions. After many attempts no success.

Seriously, Fitbit, you should refund every person who ever purchased one of these lousy devices all their money or give us a newer version that is compatible with modern Wifi networks!

Best Answer
0 Votes