Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale recognizes me as "Guest"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My scale frequently says “guest” instead of registering my numbers. I don’t have anyone else using the scale so there is no guest.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

@rfd Welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry for the late response by the way.

Seems odd that your Aria 2 recognizes you as "Guest" constantly. Please restart and re-calibrate your scale by taking out the batteries for 15 seconds and put them back in. Once you've done this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row.

As a side note, make sure that your scale is on a hard surface and you are stepping on it still and barefoot.

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting that @rfd posted this on 2/14. Not sure if it's a coincidence, but my scale did the same exact thing to me on Thursday. Progression is as follows: stepped on scale < weight displayed < picture of a generic avatar appeared < then from left to right, a small X appears, my avatar (the dog), and a check mark appear < "GUEST" is displayed < scale then looks like it's syncing data < finally the FitBit smiley face appears and it shuts off. Odd that it says I'm a guest when it shows the picture of the dog which I chose. 

I tried taking out the batteries for a minute. I deleted the scale from my FitBit app (I am android), reconnected it, weighed myself five times. Same thing happened that I described above. It is on a smooth hardwood floor. Scale has worked fine for over a year... Could this be a FitBit server or software issue? Thank you. 

Best Answer

My Aria was recognizing me as a guest when it has always been on a hard surface.  I replaced the batteries...and it is still recognizing me as a guest.  Any suggestions to that one?

Best Answer

I have the same problem.  After having big problems to get my Aria 2 set up properly in the first place it has worked well for 2 months.  Then this morning 02/17/19 it stopped recognising my icon and assigned the weigh in to 'Guest'.  I re-weighed myself and when I saw my icon I tapped the right side of the scale with my foot, which is one of the fixes I was told to try when I the set-up problems after purchase, but it still didn't recognise me.  Tried again, still Guest.  What is the solution?  The scale has always been on a hard surface.

Best Answer

I was told to go into my account select Aria 2 go to recent weigh-ins and select each of the "Guest" miss-assignments and change them to me.  They said to keep doing this until it regularly recognizes me.  It is working so far.

Best Answer

I just weighed myself and it worked. Weird, it took five days off but now appears to be working fine. Goodbluck. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ianhorwood @rfd I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scales are recognizing your users now. Thank you for posting the update here. I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you guys can tell your stories, meet more people and create new topics.

@KingsGirlAPB @BeeDeeW Since the issue persists even though you have tried the recommended troubleshooting steps, let me go ahead and forward your case to our Support team and they'll be happy to follow up and provide a solution.

You will receive an email from them soon.

See you all around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I’m having the same problem. I thought it was my cast (broken wrist) but it’s still registering as guest. I replaced the batteries, weighed myself 5 times, and I’m still a “guest!”

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dknit Thank you for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 is also recognizing your user as "Guest". Thank you for taking the time to try the recommended troubleshooting steps before contacting our forums.

Since the issue persists, I'll send your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and follow up. Please keep an eye on your email account.

I'll be around if you have any questions! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Helo,

Please note. I was contacted by the support team regarding this several
weeks ago. Their suggestions did not change anything and the scale still
recognizes me as guest. I've given up trying to reset it.

Kings daughter
Best Answer
0 Votes

Kings daughter
I had the same problem and this is how I addressed it.
Go to your account, select Aria 2, Recent Weigh-ins, Guest, then click on
your icon to change from the Guest that is checked. Just keep doing that
every time it registers you as "Guest" and it will correct the problem. It
rarely registers me a "Guest" since I've been making this correction.

ogger
This is how I addressed the problem and suggest it might work for you.
Go into Account, then Aria 2, Recent Weigh-ins, Guest, Check your icon. Do
this every time it selects you as "Guest" and it will correct the problem.
Since I have been doing this it rarely makes me "Guest" when I weigh.
RFD

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have done this....EVERY time...still
showing guest. I'm not wasting any more energy in trying to figure out
what is clearly a software error.
Best Answer

@KingsGirlAPB I'm sorry for the late response. However, our team is happy to follow up on this issue. Please reply to their last email that they sent you in order to proceed accordingly.

@rfd Thank you so much for your feedback and thank you for sharing the steps that helped you to get this issue resolved.

I'll be around if you guys need further assistance! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm having an annoying variation on this problem:

1) Aria 2 started recognizing me as GUEST four days ago, weight change was only 1.2 pounds,

2) Dashboard and android app do not show these weigh-ins at all; but android recent weigh-ins shows them all as Guest,

3) When I change the user in android recent weigh-ins from guest back to myself, it appears to succeed.

4) But when I check back in android recent weigh-ins, my name briefly flashes and then changes back to Guest.

5) A possible complication is that I added both an Aria 2 and a Versa to previous Aria and Charge 2. I did not delete the old devices from my account as the new ones seem to take over correctly, except that my Aria 2 Guest problem seems to have occurred at about the same time as my adding the Versa.

My analysis:

Maintaining a consistent identity while changing weight and adding and subtracting devices is complicated. There appear to be two related bugs: one in the scale and one in the android recent weigh-ins. The Aria 2 scale seems to have forgotten or corrupted my identity, so it defaults to Guest. The problem is not WIFI connectivity, hard surfaces, battery resets, weighing five times as these have no impact. The fact that WIFI and the weighing function are working correctly is evident from them appearing in the android recent weigh-ins at the correct times and weights.

The second bug is that the android recent weigh-ins user interface cannot correctly edit the Guest value to my name. The change is momentarily accepted then discarded. This is characteristic of error recovery software detecting an internal inconsistency in how Guest is represented as bits, and defaulting to 'Guest' as a better looking display than the correct display of  'error'.

If this analysis is approximately correct, this problem is unlikely to be corrected without a software update; although we all hope that holding our tongues at a certain angle will make it work right this time, I'm afraid that is just magical thinking.

I forgot to mention that Aria 2 is correctly recognizing my wife. She also sees the guest readings in android recent weigh-ins, but also cannot reassign them to me ( or even herself). Also the flashing of my name and being replaced by Guest when trying to reassign guest  readings to myself, does not always happen. It appears dependent on the order and/or use of the '<- Weigh-IN' button and the Android back button.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GregLawson I noticed that you joined our Fitbit Community recently. Welcome aboard! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria 2 is recognizing your user as "Guest". By the way, thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums and providing detailed information about the issue.

Before proceeding accordingly, I'd just like to know if you have made sure that your phone has the most recent app version installed. If the app is up to date, please try setting up your Aria 2 from scratch. After this, weigh yourself 5 times again and see if your weigh ins are assigned to your user properly.

Don't forget to add the other users also after setting up the scale.

Keep me posted on the outcome! 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

I noticed a few more things:

1) I powered off my android and that restored my ability to reassign guest to myself for the Aria 2,

2) I  found a hidden way to reassign guest to myself via the web dashboard,

3) I found that my percent body fat dropped from about 30% to 20% about the same time the Aria 2 started misidentifying me as Guest. This suggests the previously disclosed 8 pound margin is incomplete; percent body fat changes (or a correlate) is also used to determine if you are a guest. Also only my body fat percentage data was corrupted; my wife did not experience any of my bugs.

Updated analysis:

1) The original bug was probably in the Aria 2, corrupting data sent to fitbit.com servers unnoticed, and then on to my android, where combined with another bug (I'm guessing memory management and either Fitbit or Google could be responsible...) prevented me from reassigning guest to myself.

2) Powering off the android reset memory management, clearing one latent bug and allowing me to reassign guest to myself,

3) you are probably correct that 'setting up your Aria 2 from scratch' is the next step, but I remember the process as cumbersome (doubly if I include my wife), so it won't happen quickly.

4) Firmware versions:  Aria 2 = 23.27.2.0, Versa = 32.33.1.30

5) Google playstore says the fitbit app was last updated April 1, 2019. Here I would reverse the usual developer's assumption that new releases fix bugs and ask whether this release on April1 could have caused my bugs which seem to have started on April 3rd?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@GregLawson Thank you for getting back! Due to the details that you noticed, let me go ahead and send your case to our Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution. You will receive an email from them soon.

Let me know if you have any doubts! 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

My scale is doing the same thing and it won't read my BMI now as a guest. I have changed the icon, restarted, turned on and off the bluetooth I don't know what else to do please advise,

Klabbotts

Best Answer
0 Votes

@klabbotts It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community !'m happy to assist you with your Aria 2 since it's not providing BMI readings and it recognizes you as a "Guest". By the way, thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums.

I'd like you to try one more workaround that has been helpful. Please set up your Aria 2 from scratch. Once your scale is set up, make sure that the BMI feature is enabled  You can find the steps to enable this feature in this help article, under the subject "What does Aria 2 measure?". Finally, make sure that your scale is on a hard surface and you are standing on it barefoot. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row and see if it recognizes your user and it provides 

Keep me posted on the outcome! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes