Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale recognizes me as "Guest"

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My scale frequently says “guest” instead of registering my numbers. I don’t have anyone else using the scale so there is no guest.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
23 REPLIES 23

I did this my scale is an aria2 and it is still reading guest.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same issue--I was able to fix it by removing and reinserting the batteries. Still not sure why it happened in the first place, as my weight had only changed by .03 pounds and my body fat not at all. No one else uses the scale; it's about two months old; and it's on a hard, flat service.

But I did want to note that assigning your 'guest' weight to yourself on the phone app is only moderately useful, as that will assign the weight but not the body fat percentage (which I think a lot of us track--I know I do!).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your message. I contacted Fitbit directly and got the help I needed. They now have new instructions for this issue and when weighing and seeing the ? come up I simply tap the right side (next to the weight window) and that tells the scale to use my icon which is assigned to my weight.

Hope this helps if you have continual issues with Guest like I did.

Best Answer

I've noticed body fat percentage being missing also. Its been pretty rare for me (a few percent of the time) so I haven't been motivated to look into it further, assuming some random fluctuations in the measurement process (heisenbug?). So I have found "that assigning your 'guest' weight to yourself on the phone app is"  moderately useful most of the time. So I still find the Aria 2 a little squirrelly, but with workarounds mentioned in this thread, moderately useful. Making it completely useful would require significant investments in testing, debugging, and integration, etc. which neither I nor Fitbit seem sufficiently motivated to pursue. An open source project with a good clear API would also help, but that requires enough talented people getting annoyed enough to invest their time and effort. Only time will tell.

I see Fitbit has collected some open source links here. These are mostly smart watch faces and apps. Far more interesting would be data mining Fitbit's vast collection of data like 23 and Me or the Air Force's preventive maintenance programs. But of course as Zuboff points out in the Age of Surveillance Capitalism, Fitbit as a corporation has to decide whether all this data we have shared with Fitbit will be used for our benefit or to maximize shareholder profits. As I am both a user and a shareholder (boringly through IRA index funds) I'd like both, but that requires negotiation.

Oh well, I've wandered off topic, I've got to go (The rest of the world needs saving too.).

Best Answer
0 Votes