Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Aria and defibrillator

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Got me a brand new defibrillator installed in my heart. Turns out, I've been warned by the ICD manufacturer that Aria BMI sends electricity through your feet and could cause accidental Defibrillator shock!!!! They suggested maybe wearing socks to prevent it, but if your socks are moist it will still read your BMI....so why risk it? 

Have to get a new scale. It's okay, Fitbit is losing me as a customer anyway because they quit making the One tracker...can't use wrist trackers at all and that other clip-on device they offer is crap. 

Moderator edit: subject updated for clarity 

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

Hello @Truxlux, thank you for your inquiry and feedback provided about the Aria scale. 

As for pacemaker/defibrillator concerns, there is no expected danger from standing on the Aria, but we recommend that these individuals not do so, as a general precaution related to that device. This is a universal precaution for pacemakers, not specific to the Aria.

As it says on the box and product page, nobody with a pacemaker should use the Aria scale. This product measures body fat using a low voltage current, and the impact of that feature on pacemakers or similar devices has not been tested.

Thank you again for the feedback about the product, this is always useful to continue improve products and services. 

I hope this helps. 

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
Defibrillator not pacemaker

:water_wave:🏄🏽🌴
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Truxlux It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community!Regarding your question, the information that shared @DavideFitbit also applies for a defibrillator since the Aria scale uses bio-impedance. My best advice is to contact your doctor regarding this and ask him if a scale using bio-impedance can affect you while having a defibrillator.

Hope this helps! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer

Thank you for posting @Truxlux and @JuanJoFitbit for your reply with the additional detail regarding 'bio-impedance', as I just came home today with a new Aria 2 and excited to get it set up. But, as I carefully opened the package, I came across the warning tag wrapped around the scale stating 'not to use if you have a pacemaker or implanted medical device'. Smiley Sad

And I just had my 6 month visit with my electrophysiologist 3 days ago. I will try to get my question through to my doctor and/or device group where the bio-impedance used by the Aria is compatible with my device. Since having my device implanted I have upgraded my FitBit 2x to include the heart rate monitor and bought FitBits for my children and parents and sister; to say, I'm a fan. 

I hope the Aria is compatible, but it is not worth the chance of my device shocking me unnecessarily...that sentence right there may have answered my question.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been using our Aria2 for about 2 months now. I leave my socks on to alleviate any shock, as long as my socks are dry. True, the body fat % doesn't work when your socks are on, but I can still weigh myself...and keep record of it. Seeing my cardio and heart failure doctors is better being able to show tracked weight loss. My ICD is working fine, no shocks

:water_wave:🏄🏽🌴
Best Answer
0 Votes

I also have an ICD (pace maker/difibulator combo)

My implant Dr was not sure , so the Boston Scientific lady ( testing the device) never heard of any issues. She asked corporate, and the don't know, but just to be safe, I don't use it. I think that the issue is a false reading to the Dr, not necessarily you getting shocked. But I do remember them testing the device after they installed it, and the test shock HURT, BAAAD. That test shock was on the lowest setting, I could not imagine the feeling of the device shocking me at full setting!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Audrey_A   @Truxlux   @Agg89    Please go to page 5 of this link from Boston Scientific.  Under body hydration scale (any bio-impedance analysis), it says DO NOT USE.

I think this link is especially helpful for all people that have ICDs, pacemakers, etc.  It gives recommendations for many objects (sorry, you can't use an ab stimulator) and activities (sorry, you can't tour the Hoover Dam).

Medtronic is another manufacturer of ICDs and pacemakers and has a similar list.

Laurie | Maryland
Sense 2, Luxe, Aria 2 | iOS | Mac OS

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
Thank you, LZeeW! After I posted my comment (which helped me weigh the benefits vs. risks), I did go to the Boston Scientific site for my device. After seeing body fat scales (I forget the exact wording) as 1 of only 2 items that clearly said DO NOT use, I returned the Aria. I already have a functioning scale. I do not want to take a chance on triggering my device if it isn’t a necessity.

I do appreciate your response, corroborated my decision. I’ll find other ways to treat myself.

Sincerely,
Audrey
Best Answer
Agg89, thanks for your response, which tells me 2 things: 1) I made the right choice to return the Aria to avoid ANY triggers of my device and 2) that a small shock is no walk in the park. My device was tested while I was still under general anesthesia. So, I don’t know what the test shock or any shock feels like. My implant was my 3 surgery in 4 days in addition to post-cardiac-arrest CPR and then an external defibrillator...my body ached for more than month after all of that.

Good luck with your device and FitBit.

Sincerely,
Audrey
Best Answer
0 Votes