Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What mode should I use on my Aria: regular vs lean?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

im hoping someone can help me here.

im trying to figure out which mode to use on the aria, but both seem to be wrong. im 5'8" and 140 pounds (up to 142, fluctuates every morning) and have been using the regular mode for about 3 weeks. I work out 5-6 days a week intensely doing weight training, and eat pretty healthy (no bad food, suagry drinks, protein shakes etc).

When on regular mode, my body fat was around 12-13%.

When i changed to lean, it went down to 9.8% the first day, then 6% the next day. To make sure, i weighed before the 6% reading and got 5% (the night before i weighed also and got 7.8%).

I weigh myself the same time every morning after waking up and on the same surface so this isnt an issue.

I would expect my body fat to be about 10% as im defined and dont really eat fat, and my carbs come from fruit and vegetables.

Should i refer back to regular mode even though i think the body fat is higher than what i think it should be? i got the aria mostly for the body fat but if this is my options im thinking of returning for a better body composition reader that takes into account upper and lower half od the body.

Thanks

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
13 REPLIES 13

Hi @milklizard. It's great to see you around! 😄

There are two scale settings that will affect the way your body fat percentage is calculated.

The first setting is “regular” mode and applies to most people. This mode works well for people who don't get a great deal of exercise as well as those that exercise frequently.

“Lean” mode is intended for professional or very high-level athletes like marathon runners or body builders. Individuals with exceptionally low body fat relative to their muscle mass may want to consider lean mode; however, many very fit and active people still get more accurate readings in regular mode.

If the mode you've selected appears to be giving you an incorrect body fat percentage reading, you may want to switch modes. To edit the your scale's mode, sign into your dashboard and go to your Aria settings page. Look under the “People” tab, then select the appropriate mode. Once you weigh in and the Aria syncs, the mode will switch.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

i saw this in the product manual but it still doesnt help, im trying which one would be better to use even though they're both innacurate. It says marathon runner or bodybuilder, but what definition is bodybuilder? someon working out 5-6 times a week as I do or someone who is a full on bodybuilder that competes etc

Best Answer

Anyone can read or post the manual.... He's looking for EXPERINCE. 

Best Answer

Here is my experience:

I am 105kg and and 194cm tall; Looking at body fat pictures I would say I am around 12% body fat according to this image; I see definition around my abs but don't have the six pack.  I am obviously tall and I would say that I have almost no fat on my legs.

I work out 5-6 times a week (have done for several years but stepped it up over the last 1.5 years) - 2x cardio and 3-4x resistance and am fairly muscly but not huge.

When on regular mode the scale reports I am consistently around 22% body fat - so that is obviously very wrong.

When on lean mode it reports me between 14-15% body fat which I think is also perhaps on the high side.

Best Answer

Sorry bud but your face looks like you might be between 15 and 20% . I'm getting the same readings as you. 22 in normal and 14 to 15% I lean mode . I trust the lean mode. You might be overtraining and elivating your cortisol levels. Train less, train harder 

Sorry bud but your face looks like you might be between 15 and 20% . I'm getting the same readings as you. 22 in normal and 14 to 15% In lean mode . I trust the lean mode. You might be overtraining and elevating your cortisol levels. Train less, train harder .

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, I’ve had the same issue and your post was helpful as were the replies. I have been on a program to loose visceral fat that includes 2, 30 minute walks at moderate speed (5-6 Kph) daily for 3 months. I started at just over 25% bf, I was loosing fat steadily until I hit 21% at 2 months. Despite doing the same exercise and diet the Aria started showing my body fat going back up, I slightly changed my diet by adding more protein and bf started coming down again to around 21%. But based on calliper measurement and visual appearance my true bf was more like 18-20%, I changed the Aria to lean setting and got a reading of 17.7% which corresponds to the calliper etc reading. It may be that you need to change to lean setting when you get to 21% to get a more accurate result.

Best Answer

There is no People tab in my Aria settings. 

Best Answer

I can be very wrong but i think most have misconstrued what lean means. By the weights and heights yall are giving, yall aint lean but skinny. 

When they mean bodybuilder i think they mean someone with above average lean "muscle mass" im 6'6" 311lbs and it has me at 17% bodyfat. Which is about right because my dexa scan had me at about 245lbs of lean mass.

Im still pudgy but my muscle mass is off the chart for my height and weight. So even if you train, that doesnt matter. How much muscle mass you have does. And seeing abs doesnt mean you have muscle mass.

It looks like we have a lot of joggers. Most are low bodyfat, low muscle. So they would be normal. But a sprinter would be lean.

Below im the same body fat percentage. 

I hope this helps.

On the left i would use "normal" on the right i would use "lean" even though im the same bodyfat in both.On the left i would use "normal" on the right i would use "lean" even though im the same bodyfat in both.

Best Answer

@Roscojim I'm sorry for the late response. However, the "People" tab can be found through your web-based Dashboard (not the app). Please see the image below:

Lean and regular.png

@SunsetRunner Thank you so much for sharing your input and information. I'm sure that this will help other users as well.

I'll be around if more assistance is needed guys! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

This option has disappeared on the Aria.  Did it get changed?  Seems crazy to change this and force an Aria 2 purchase for a feature that was there...

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just found it on the phone app. Go to "Today" --> Profile Pic --> Aria/Aria 2 --> People Using this Scale --> Name. Once there, there are a list of options that you can turn on/off

My TrendWeight|
Best Answer

I was able to follow your directions without problems; however, on the “Name” page the only option listed was to change the display name.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You have to go on their website into your dashboard - you can't do it from the phone app.

Best Answer
0 Votes