Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria WIFI Err with set up

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been trying to set up my scales.  I go through almost the whole process until its trying to connect to WIFI and then a "WIFI ERR" shows up on the scales.  I have checked my settings on my modem and it is on WPA2 PSK.  I have also reset the modem more then once and tried the set up various times with no sucess.  Does this have something to do with my modem?  I have never had so many issues trying to set up one of my devices and I am considering just returning your item as I didnt realise I would have so many issues (obviously I dont want to return it).  Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi there @kandrades86. It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community!

If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend which is the Protocol that your router uses. The Aria scale works with the Protocol 802.11b and some other routers run the protocol 802.11n or 802.11g. If you don't know which is the protocol that your router uses, you can get in touch with your service provided an they can check on this for you.

Please let me know how this goes!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
357 REPLIES 357

Hi there @kandrades86. It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community!

If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend which is the Protocol that your router uses. The Aria scale works with the Protocol 802.11b and some other routers run the protocol 802.11n or 802.11g. If you don't know which is the protocol that your router uses, you can get in touch with your service provided an they can check on this for you.

Please let me know how this goes!

Best Answer

I am having the same problem.  I was able to connect and use my scale for months.  I had to reinstall the OS on my macbook and now when I try to reinstall the Aria it will not sync with my network.  Same moden as always.  Double checked my password twice.  Tried using the software and the web versions on both my computer and my phone.  

Best Answer

Same problem - set up tried it every which way - I see a moderator saying - go back to service provider - REally? Do you know how long that takes to get some help?

So far 2 hours of my life I'll never get back - anyone with a bin! As usual no one to actually speak to for help...Arrrggghhh Returns

policy anyone know what I can do about that?

Best Answer

Hey there @warre. Welcome to the Community!

If you don't know which is the protocol that your router is using, the only one who will know for sure is your service provider. You can still get in touch with the Support Team for further assistance and when it comes to the return policy, you have a 45 day return window. For more details, you can review it here.

Anything else, please let me know!

Best Answer
Thanks for that information. I tried again and all working now!
Best Answer

I have just spent the last TWO hours on the phone with my internet provider. They told me that ALL modems are set to 802.11b by default. I had my modem reset and reconfigured and yet I STILL get the wifi ERR message.
Ive been so excited about getting my aria scales, that now I am on the verge of putting them back in the box and sending them back for a FULL refund. I have one more network to try and if this network DOESNOT work, then bye bye aria.

so disappointed like many others.

Best Answer

I think this is a known issue with the Aria, and if you say the right things to customer service, they will replace it at now cost. Here's my story:

I had this problem on my Aria, and after calling FitBit customer support, and telling them that I:

1. Had gone through the laptop (Mac) setup app multiple times

2. The Aria had worked fine previously, the only thing that had changed was my wifi password

3. I am 100% positive I was using the correct Wifi SSID and password in the setup up

They emailed me immediately, asking for my Fitbit account credentials, and shipping address. They shipped me a replacement Aria within 10 days.

Best Answer

Sucess with connecting my Aria!  Hopefully this will help someone.  It took me more than four hours (and 30+ years of experience on computers) to get past the "WIFI ERR" part of the setup. Good luck!

I tried both the mobile and desktop app, but never got past the final stage, as the "WIFI ERR" error message would flash on the scale.  Here are the steps I took: 

1. I have a D-Link Wireless Router (DIR-815) and made the following changes:

a) Ensured that I was using the 2.4ghz band.

b) Ensured that my wireless mode was set to: 802.11mixed (n/g/b)

c) Changed the name of my wifi network to only letters

(not sure if this made a difference)

d) Changed my security from WPA/WPA2 (enhanced) to disable security

(no password needed; this last step made all the difference.)

2. Once I made those changes, I was able to connect to the Aria (with both the desktop or mobile app -I tested both.)

3.  I then went back and changed my router securtiy from no-security to WEP and followed the steps outlined in the below link, and ensuring that my password had no special characters (i.e. !?_) 

https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-ve-made-changes-to-my-network-How-do-I-reconne...

4.  I might have been able to connect by originally changing the routher setting security to WPA/WPA2 to WEP directly, but I didn't bother to test that theory (four hours is long enough!)

5. I understand that Fitbit needs to get their products "out the door" as soon as possible due to increasing competition, but I know few friends that would be able to have circumvented this error.  I also now have (slightly) decreased router security in order for the Aria to connect.

I do love my Fitbit HR, and have lost more than 10 pounds.  Thanks, Fitbit!

Best Answer

Okay, my Aria was working and now it's not!  I keep on getting the ERR msg.  I have taken my batteries out a zillion times.  Once I was able to successfully connect to Aria but when I stepped on it I recieved the ERR msg again. 

Checked the protocols and they are all the recommended protocols fitbit recommends. 

Now that I have exhausted all the advise--what is next?

Best Answer

Welcome to the Community @EO_Walnut!

If you've already tried to remove all the batteries and put them back in after a while and you have checked all other suggestions and you still get the ERR message, I'd say that the best thing to do is to get in touch with the Support Team and they will be happy to get you back on track!

Any other thing, I'm here to help! 🙂

Best Answer

Solution provided is not the correct solution.  All routers typically come with the mix of all of the protocols (e.g. b/g/n and even some as high as n/ac).  In this case, the problem is, and you should update your dcouments with this, is IF you use any numbers or under scores, it won't work.  I named mine "home_network".  I had to change it to "homenetwork" and then it worked.  If you add any spaces or under score characters, it doesn't seem to like it.  Thanks

Best Answer

I would strongly advise not leaving your router security set to WEP, it is very easy to hack. My Aria is running fine connected to my router running WPA2. Looks like the SSID naming convention was your original issue.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi. 

We've been having this problem too. 

Our router is set to 802.11b/g/n, yet we haven't been able to get past the wifi err message. 

We went back to the shop and they replaced the unit, but we are still getting the error message. 

We emailed support on the 17th December 2015 with details of what we've been doing and attached the scale log file and haven't heard back

Can you help?

Thanks

Best Answer
Delete the aria from your account, then re download the aria file to your computer, then it should work. It worked for me 😀 start from the very first beginning.
Best Answer

I changed the name of my router and dropped the underscore and it worked.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the correct protocol.   I was on the phone with support for over an hour and we still could not figure it out.  This is so frustrating and I love my Aria.  Why can't I get it to recognize my new wifi?  I need this remedied quickly!  I have a Mac and Iphone.  Please help!!!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Router transmitting 802.11b ?

SSID name without any fancy characters or spaces ?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi all, I  had this issue earlier today setting it up for the first time as well. The way mine finally worked was when I dumbed down my WiFi login credentials. That is, I only used A-Z and 1-9 in my router's username and password. If you have @#$%^!_- or anything like that in your username or password, try removing it and trying again.

Best Answer

If you have any symbols in your router name (SSID) or your password, it won't connect. 

Best Answer