Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria WIFI Err with set up

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been trying to set up my scales.  I go through almost the whole process until its trying to connect to WIFI and then a "WIFI ERR" shows up on the scales.  I have checked my settings on my modem and it is on WPA2 PSK.  I have also reset the modem more then once and tried the set up various times with no sucess.  Does this have something to do with my modem?  I have never had so many issues trying to set up one of my devices and I am considering just returning your item as I didnt realise I would have so many issues (obviously I dont want to return it).  Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Best Answer
357 REPLIES 357
@almac7 thank you, your steps actually worked. However I just adjusted my modem to disable security. Then followed the standard aria startup with success. I then re-enabled my security and original password and followed the link you embedded to then set aria back up using my password and security enabled. This resulted in Wifi Err! But I took the special characters out of my password and boom, succes. It looks like the aria does not like to accept special characters in wifi passwords.

So I would try adjusting your wifi password to remove special characters as step one. This will most likely lead to success in short order.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I cannot believe that wifi security must be disabled to be connected. I followed these steps but once I get connected I change the password back to WAP2 and change on the ARIA it shows WIFI ERR again. Does this mean it does not support WAP2 as before?

My ARIA firmware is V38, I wonder in the beggining the setting is ok but some version changes this and I needed to change password just recently. I found that most people just got this trouble recently.

Even set my password as none, I found only my Linksys WRT310n + DD_WRT can be connected, my another Linksys WRT1900AC still shows WIFI ERR even no password.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What if our router DOES use 802.11n? What are our options then?

Best Answer

It is very bad to deliver a product that is almost impossible to set up the network. That one must change the security on wireless or change the SSID for this to work is hopeless. Of principle I will not do it, even though I know it might work. I tested it at work on a wifi network 801.11n without security (disabled security) and got wireless network to function. After weighing it says step off ... thinking ... err. I will now deliver Aria Scale back to the store. One can lose weight just by getting annoyed over this product.

Best Answer

I had this same problem: I tried to connect my scale to the network 10+ times but to no avail.  I kept getting a Wifi Err on my scale and an unable to connect on my computer and Iphone.  I finally gave up and contacted my internet provider who gave me my router (Comcast).  They changed both my internet network name and password.  Doing this solved my problem and I am now able to connect my Aria scale.  Ended up being a much simpler fix than I had initially anticipated. Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found that the password needed to be alpha numeric. It works great now!!

Moderator edit: Personal information removed

Best Answer

This response makes no sense.  

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi there @kandrades86. It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community!

If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend which is the Protocol that your router uses. The Aria scale works with the Protocol 802.11b and some other routers run the protocol 802.11n or 802.11g. If you don't know which is the protocol that your router uses, you can get in touch with your service provided an they can check on this for you.

Please let me know how this goes!

You would recommend what?  To SWITCH to the routers protocol? To switch the scale to the router's protocol?  Even if I knew the protocol, what is the next step?  "I would recommend which protocol that your router uses" is not an action.  Please help!  My scale worked fine for over a year and now it hasn't connected in 3 months.

Best Answer

Hi @NanCeeG. Good to see you around!

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't built my thoughts correctly when drafting that response  but it should be: "If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend CHECKING which is the protocol that your router uses."

So if you know which protocol it's working under but don't know how to change it to 802.11b or don't know what protocol it is at all, you can get in touch with your service provider so that they can help you with this to have your scale working properly.

Now, in your situation, if your scale has been working fine before and it's until now that you're having problems with it, I'd recommend removing the batteries for about 10 seconds and putting them back in and see if it works. If it still doesn't work, you can get in touch with the Support Team and they will be happy to help you.

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
I changed my protocol 80211b and that didn't work. I changed the security
protocol to unsecured and that worked but I'm not leaving it like that. I'm
sure I have the right password for my network but when I changed the
security protocol back to WEP or whatever it is, it wouldn't connect.
Best Answer
If you have any special characters in your wifi password it will not work.
I found it only works if your password contains only letters and numbers.
Best Answer
Yup my password is is only letters and numbers. Any other ideas?
Best Answer

You deserve anything you want it life, ever.  I was on the phone with Fitbit for an hour, and i spent about two myself trying to figure this out.  Your solution was what i needed!  My life can continue now.  Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've spent hours and hours over several days trying to link the Aria scale to my network.  It worked fine, then I changed the modem, and then it stopped working.  The good news is, I've solved the problem.  So to save you time I'll spell out what I have learned.  The fitbit support team I'd been emailing about this problem did NOT make these suggestions so maybe they don't know about it.  Definately an area for improvement for the fitbit support team.

1.  The most important thing of ALL:  Make sure that your SSID (the name of your wireless network) contains ONLY letters and/or numbers.  Do not have any other symbols (in my case, the underscore '_' cost me a few days' problem solving).

2.  Make sure your wireless router can work with a 802.11b device.

3.  Make sure your security setting is mixed to include the lower level WPA.

Holy moley, that took far too long to solve.  And I am grateful to the other members who posted about this problem and led me towards this solution.  I wish I'd come here first!!@!

Hi Ferdinand

Your post is marked as the solution, but its not the solution.  I've spent hours and hours over several days trying to link the Aria scale to my network.  It worked fine, then I changed the modem, and then it stopped working.  The good news is, I've finally just solved the problem.  So to save you time I'll spell out what I have learned.  The fitbit support team I'd been emailing about this problem did NOT make these suggestions so maybe they don't know about it.  Definately an area for improvement for the fitbit support team.

1.  The most important thing of ALL:  Make sure that your SSID (the name of your wireless network) contains ONLY letters and/or numbers.  Do not have any other symbols (in my case, the underscore '_' cost me a few days' problem solving).

2.  Make sure your wireless router can work with a 802.11b device.

3.  Make sure your security setting is mixed to include the lower level WPA.

Holy moley, that took far too long to solve.  And I am grateful to the other members who posted about this problem and led me towards this solution.  I wish I'd come here first!!@!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

SO I finally fixed it!  I downloaded the app that I found here and it worked THE FIRST TIME! (only works with PC) Mind you, the software never finished, it still said "Connecting your scale to network" or something like that but my scale set itself up and it is connecting fine now.  

To recap, I did have to change my network to mixed which included 802.11b and made sure the security setting included WPA (I used a mixed setting here also.  It was labeled "Most compatible" and included WPA/WPA2-PSK,etc.

Also my network name did not include any special characters or even any spaces and my password did not either.  OMG.  Not getting any fitbit devices ever again.  I can't even use my watch because it is so inaccurate I gave up on it and had 3 replacements sent to me. 

Best Answer

So, I have been through this all day.  I talked to the Fitbit support folks and they told me I needed to call Verizon to get them to help me switch from 802.11b.  Unfortunately the Verizon router is only capable of using 802.11n or 802.11g but not 802.11b.  So, my question is........ do I need to just give up and return this product?  That is so disapointing?  Is there no way I can get this connected?  I guess I have to go buy a differnt brand.

Best Answer

Call Fitbit and have them help you.

Ask Verizon for a new router.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@frizzank wrote:

Solution provided is not the correct solution.  All routers typically come with the mix of all of the protocols (e.g. b/g/n and even some as high as n/ac).  In this case, the problem is, and you should update your dcouments with this, is IF you use any numbers or under scores, it won't work.  I named mine "home_network".  I had to change it to "homenetwork" and then it worked.  If you add any spaces or under score characters, it doesn't seem to like it.  Thanks

Bingo!  The underscore in the name was the culprit for me.  After 4 hours of troubleshooting and research I finnaly found this forum exchange.

Thank you frizzank!

Best Answer

I have been wrestling with this too.  Often I see a company with a great idea and poor execution.  They got out ahead of their skis on this one.  Home network security is only as strong as its weakest link.  Aria is the weakest link, as if forces you to dumb down the security settings.  Fitbit needs to step it up to thrive in the internet of things, or consumers will select a better product.

BTW,  no one at Tech Support had as much help to provide as I found on this Forum.

Best Answer
I have to say this, my husband bought me the aria from the store and I had the same problems, wouldn't find not connect to my wifi, he just got me one from the Fitbit site and it setup with in 2 minutes, there was no issues. I have the same router as before.

I think it's best to order from Fitbit, the scale is more metallic as well.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ditto on everything you stated. I'm having the same problems. I just may return this scale. & buy one that just tells me how much I weigh. That will only cost me $20 & no anxiety.

@kandrades86 wrote:

I have been trying to set up my scales.  I go through almost the whole process until its trying to connect to WIFI and then a "WIFI ERR" shows up on the scales.  I have checked my settings on my modem and it is on WPA2 PSK.  I have also reset the modem more then once and tried the set up various times with no sucess.  Does this have something to do with my modem?  I have never had so many issues trying to set up one of my devices and I am considering just returning your item as I didnt realise I would have so many issues (obviously I dont want to return it).  Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Best Answer