Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria WIFI Err with set up

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have been trying to set up my scales.  I go through almost the whole process until its trying to connect to WIFI and then a "WIFI ERR" shows up on the scales.  I have checked my settings on my modem and it is on WPA2 PSK.  I have also reset the modem more then once and tried the set up various times with no sucess.  Does this have something to do with my modem?  I have never had so many issues trying to set up one of my devices and I am considering just returning your item as I didnt realise I would have so many issues (obviously I dont want to return it).  Can anyone shed any light on this issue?

Best Answer
357 REPLIES 357
I had the same problem after getting the scale from a retailer, once I got a scale from Fitbit via their website, no problem what so ever, I think retailers have older inventory and the software is the problem. Return and order from Fitbit

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I originally set up my scale with Mac, but since then switched to windows based machines. Changed my network not too long ago and no matter what I did I was not able to get the scale to work again. I read that someone succeeded to set theirs up with Mac after failing with windows and loaned a macbook from a friend and voila it worked on first try... beyond confused why, but thankfully I can get it synced again! Not sure if having it set up with Mac orignally has anything to do with it, but anyways, just thought I'd let the community know.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This worked for me. I thought there was something seriously wrong with mine, but turned out to be an easy fix. I cannot guarantee this works, but it worked for me. 

Check your router and make sure there are no special characters in the name or password. The Aria has issues with periods "." apparently. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks, this worked for me too, altho not thrilled to be running WEP.

I will contact support to resolve correctly.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Chiming in with this topic and agreeing that the sync process involved in this bathroom scale exceeds my expectation by quite a lot.  Getting the scale joined to the network needs more development from FitBit.

Problem:
FitBit Aria wireless scale
Version V37.  I notice several others report a version beyond that.
Will not successfully complete the setup process and ends with "WIFI ERR" displayed.

1st my SSID did have an "_" which many here have pointed out is not acceptable. That was removed.
2nd password originally had zero special characters.  All letters and numbers.
Multiple attempts on the phone did not work.
SAMSUNG-SM-N915V  Model: SM-N915V  Android 5.0.1 Kernel 3.10.40

Using a 
ZyXEL Century Link
Model Number: Q1000Z 
Security Type: WPA2-Personal
I do MAC filtering, so if you do this make sure the MAC address is added to the Accept list.
This is a DSL modem from a previous account that I was using as a WIFI hotspot for my current account.
I tried WPA2, WEP, and full open.
I tried assigning the Aria MAC address a static IP address as well as DHCP.
I used the 802.11 Auto, as well as Only 802.11b, a setting that broke connectivity of several other wireless devices in the house.

Accessing my fitbit account using a netbook there is a link to download the setup software, however that link only dumped me to a page requiring my netbook get updated from Win 7 to Win 10 before I could run the software.  Once again unacceptable.
Thank You Google for providing what the customer service of Fitbit did not, a Win7 version (also note there is not a Linux version provided).
Still did not sync.

I removed the cover of my FitBit Aria and verified all wires appeared intact, which they were.  Nothing visually wrong there.

Finally I went out and bought a new WIFI Router:
Asus RT-AC68P WIFI/Router
It uses WPA2, 802.11b/g on the 2.4GHz channel, I do MAC filtering still and finally got the Aria to sync up to the network when the two devices were sitting in the same room together.  The next day I separated them to their proper positions in the house and the Aria was still able to sync after use.  So maybe I am past this ridiculousness. 
I will probably be criticized for being frugal and using the old Wireless Modem as a Wireless router in the house, yes I didn't want to constantly set up security every time I changed carriers, but let me point out there are at least 2 dozen wireless devices in the house which had no problem with my wireless set up.  Only the bathroom scale appeared to take offense at such frugality!

Moderator edit: Format

Best Answer
I have had the same problem which came out of the blue (or so I thought!). The culprit was a wifi extender, once I switched it off and set up the Aria again it worked as normal.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for pointing that out @Bh224. It's important to note that the scale doesn't complete the setup process if it's through an extender, It has to be through the actual router.

Welcome to the Community!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

Agreed, @Bh224 that is an interesting fact to keep in mind.

My original post: I did not use a range extender.  I don't own one.
I had service through cable only.  No wifi.  I used the wifi router from a previous service provider as an access point in the house to keep wifi and security settings as they were.  Plus to save money.  Also note that dozens of devices accessed the internet this way.

Best Answer

Hey there!

I know some are frustrated with this issue, but I want to share with you guys this post "Aria Wifi ERR solution" from @SunsetRunner, he found a solution for this issue and he is sharing the steps he took to fix the issue. I think those are great suggestions and I recommend you give them a look.

I hope this helps! 

Community Moderator Tarin | Community Moderator

If this post was helpful vote for it or accept it as a solution! Remember challenge yourself and become better than yourself. Share your story!

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

Hi there @kandrades86. It's great to see you in the Fitbit Community!

If you're getting this wifi err when setting up your scale, I would recommend which is the Protocol that your router uses. The Aria scale works with the Protocol 802.11b and some other routers run the protocol 802.11n or 802.11g. If you don't know which is the protocol that your router uses, you can get in touch with your service provided an they can check on this for you.

Please let me know how this goes!

Ferdinand: you made your comment in 2015 stating that the Aria scale still used 802.11b protocol.  That protocol was introduced in 1999 and, as an old protocol, is prone to experiencing interference from other household WiFi devices and drags down WiFi.  Has Fitbit released a newer version of the Aria scale which uses a protocol like 802.11n or 802.11ac that is more likely to be found in more recently manufactured modem/routers?  I just got a modem/router last week and it doesn't use 802.11b at all.  Therefore, I cannot setup my Aria scale.

Thanks,

M:) 

Best Answer

MCollins hit the nail on the head. I am moving to Garmin. Fitbit does not keep up.

Sent from my iPhone

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

In addition: 

I tried to reconnect my Aria to a new router which was in mixed mode (802.11b, g and n). It did NOT work.

Only when I set 802.11n to off (I had options "off" or "mixed mode" on my modem), could I get the Aria to connect. 

After connecting I set the router back to mixed mode and the Aria synced the data without problems. 

CONCLUSION: Do the setup with 802.11n disabled alltogether, no mixed mode either. And after it pairs, you can go back to mixed mode.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, afraid so.  Scale WiFi settings are years behind, potentially compromising security.  No updates/upgrades. Switching to Garmin.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@urbane_cowboy wrote:

Yes, afraid so.  Scale WiFi settings are years behind, potentially compromising security.  No updates/upgrades. Switching to Garmin.

Will your Garmin scale interface with the Fitbit software?  I.e., when the Aria worked, it automatically transmitted my scale data to my computer (now, it might do that to my phone, too).  Will your Garmin work similarly?  I like that the Aria reads weight and body fat, but it's a 20th century pain to write that down and then transcribe it to the software.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Actually, I will also switch to the Vivosmart HR +. I use My Fitness Pal. I am sure there will be issues, but have done all I can with this product line.

Get Outlook for iOS
Best Answer

Hi Everyone,

I was having the same issue that was described here.

I went into my router's "Security" settings (I'm using a TPLink WR-940N) and had a firewall enabled.

I disabled the firewall for the initial setup and everything worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Had a similar problem with a new ATT router. I'm not savvy in that area but it operates on a regular and a 5.0 wifi. after hours of being unable to sync and "wifi err", I told my phone to forget the "5.0" wifi and all my problems went away. The Aria wouldn't recognize the 5.0 and the phone chose it by default due to it being "better".

Best Answer
0 Votes

I discovered a fix for routers that use the same SSID across 2.4 GHz and 5GHz channels.  

I was also receiving the "WiFi ERR" message and the post marked ask the solution was not clear enough to help me.  I have the T-Link Google OnHub router but the problem would have occurred with any router that has multiple "channels" (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) and uses the same SSID (network name) across channels.  

The problem occurred for me when I bought the new router and attempted to setup my existing scale to work on the new router.  For my initial unsuccessful setup attempts I was using devices (phone, laptop, etc.) that were new and utilize the fastest 5GHz wireless "g" and "ac" signals.  I received the "WiFi ERR" message on the scale at the end of each setup attempt.

Using the same laptop I forced my wireless adapter to connect to the router via wireless "b" (2GHz), which is the same signal the scale uses.  On my pc this could be done by going to "Device Manager", "Network Adapters", right-click the name of your wireless card, click "Properties", go to the "Advanced" tab and set the "Wireless Mode" to "802.11b".  After this I went through the scale setup process again and this time the scale successfully connected to the T-Link Google OnHub router.  (Don't forget to switch your wireless card setting back.)

My guess is that the device used for setup communicates more about the network it is connected to than just a network name and password.  Meaning that only when I connected to the router in exactly the same way the scale connects, was my device able to communicate the correct information to the scale that would allow it to successfully connect.  Hope this helps someone else!

Best Answer

I finally got my Aria set up using the instructions at Aria Wifi ERR solution.  But my god, what a process!  All other devices I have brought into my home connect "automatically" once provided with the password.  Fitbit, join the 21st century!  Smiley Sad

Best Answer

kept getting err on the display (have a + in my new routers default password) and couldnt get it to work and tried multiple times. thought that might be the reason, but it wasnt. so insted of using the web interface I downloaded the program from fitbit.com to install on my computer and do the set up from the program and did it through the program and all went well the 1st time using the downloaded set up program. Had to use the tab button to get around the program since it didnt visually scale right on my computer screen and couldnt see the whole user interface properly, so just fyi if you cant see the whole program (only parts as if its zoomed in) use the tab button to go to the next and such. I suggest using the downloaded 6.6mb program file and go through it, it solved my issue it may work for your issue.

I cannot believe there isnt a simplier way to do this, so next time I wont buy a fitbit aria unless its 100% easier to setup (for the record I fix computers and build them etc and this is a terrible design/setup process for the average person to have to go through) its not hard per say, but its not nearly as easy as many connected home products today.

Best Answer