Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria Wifi ERR solution for new routers which support 802.11ac

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I spent a little while trying to get my Aria re-connected after making some changes to my router.

I have one of the new models with two radios (2.4Ghz and 5). It uses 802.11 b/g/n on the 2.4Ghz band and ac on the 5Ghz band, and offers to "intelligently" use the correct band for the device connecting. I set it up on a newish laptop running Windows 10. Apparently there's something that Aria doesn't like about this whole setup, but I finally got it working and this is how:

1. Turn on the guest network in your router and make sure it's set to use the b/g/n mode. (or no more than 54Mbps, or compatibility mode, or whatever they call it in your router.)
  2. Give your guest network a name that only includes letters or numbers. (There's no real reason for this; it seems Fitbit just decided that would be easier for them.)
  3. Make sure there are no hackers in the near vicinity.
  4. Turn off any security for your guest network.
  5. Make sure your guest network is visible (is broadcasting its SSID)
    1. If you don't own your router or have some means of accessing the settings, try calling whoever does and asking them to please change the settings for you, ideally while you're home, during working hours. We're using the guest network because 802.11b is a slower protocol and you'll want to keep using the faster ones on your secure home network. 802.11b was only superceded by faster protocols in 2003, so it's understandable that Fitbit needs a little time to catch up.
  6. Put your Aria in setup mode by taking out one battery for 10 seconds.
  7. Bring your scale, router, and laptop to within 10 feet of one another.
  8. Go to http://www.fitbit.com/setup/aria (I used MS Edge, because enterprise software teams tend to develop for Microsoft first and it doesn't allow plugins. If you don't have Edge, try IE8) (I know we're not dealing with enterprise software here, but it feels the same, so work with me here.)
  9. Clear your cookies and restart your browser. Throw a pinch of salt over your left shoulder and spin around three times counterclockwise.
  10. Follow the prompts, giving your Aria a name that reflects your feelings towards Fitbit. Be honest.
  11. Take a break and send an email to Fitbit support asking why they couldn't just use WPS like printers and music streaming boxes and everything else that needs to connect to wifi without having a keyboard.
  12. Connect to the network starting with "ARIA", hoping that there's only one. You might have to wait a bit for the network to show up.
  13. Hope that no wise guy has called his router "ARIA501b" or something to trick you to connecting to it.
  14. Let it scan for networks and select your guest network. Status messages will be displayed on the scale.
  15. When the webpage shows your guest network, select it.
  16. When prompted, go to your wifi settings and connect to your guest wifi.
  17. Go back to the page and click continue.
  18. Hopefully you'll get a success page, but we're not done yet. Go have a cup of tea.
  19. Put your scale on a hard surface somewhere
  20. Stand on it.
  21. Step off when it tells you to step off.
  22. Watch the display to see if it gives you a checkmark after displaying your weight, BF, and initials, then doing the little "sending" animation.
    1. If you get a little x above a wifi symbol, it didn't work. Contact support or go to step 8 and try, try again.
  23. Go to your fitbit dashboard or open the app and see if it logged your weight.
  24. Go back into your router settings and change your guest wifi to WPA2 and give it a simple password with only letters and numbers (again, this appears to be just because Fitbit decided that would be easier for them.)
  25. Repeat step 8 through 20, including the cup of tea, but this time, when you select your guest network, the scale (or whatever device is broadcasting a name starting with ARIA) will ask for your wifi password. Give it your guest network password. (This is why step 2 is very important. If it turns out to be a honeypot device, at least you have only given it your guest wifi password, which you totally aren't using anywhere else, right?)
  26. Enjoy your new time and effort saving scale!
Best Answer
125 REPLIES 125

I also have a wrt3200acm and I'm doing exactly the same thing as you...using an old router just to connect the ARIA.  I was hoping that the DDWRT firmware for the router would enable 802.11b on the router in mixed mode but no luck with that yet.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Aaron,

For my benefit and the benefit of many others reading this, can you give us the specs on your router that you are using to connect to the Aria?

I don't understand why Fitbit didn't just have the Aria sync to the PC/phone via Bluetooth like they do the Fitbit Flex.  My flex has been working since Dec 2013 with no issue other than having to push the reset button on the charging cable twice. .dt

Best Answer
0 Votes

I found something which seems important to the discussion here...

If you are trying to resync your Aria (for whatever reason - lost sync, new network, etc) and getting this wifi error, go into your FitBit account online and delete two important things in your Settings:

1. all users connected to the Aria (it will then make the old Aria instance disappear) - you may need to do this a second time in the FitBit app on your smart phone.

2. In the Applications section, delete the authorization you gave to the Aria originally.

If you do this, you can sync to a new network.  I'm not sure all the additional WiFi router changes are necessary.

Best Answer

Thank for your input. I did log into my fitbit account and deleted aria. I'm starting over setting it up, but it won't take my password to my wi-fi.I called comcast and they changed the network name and password, and it still did not work. I've been trying to set it up for 3 hours now with no success I'm so frustrated so if u have more info i would appreciate it. thank you

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner wrote:

So I spent a little while trying to get my Aria re-connected after making some changes to my router.

Thanks so much. It worked for me. I had to do exactly what you said PLUS move my scale 1 foot in front of the wifi router. Then it worked. If it was 2 or  more feet it didn't connect. Very odd. The open password idea is amazing. That solved the issue of it was going to work or not. Then I made it a secure network with an addition of a password.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone able to translate into English words what the problem is? Know nothing about router/modem terms. HELP!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your scale has a weak internet connection internal guts.  The electronics inside the scale are weak. So to connect to the internet it (the scale) has to be close to the internet source during setup. Wherever you get your internet from (cable wifi or dsl etc). Put your scale next to the machine that provides internet to your home.  This can fix the aria setup issue. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Is there any way to fix this problem without making changes to a router? I have ATT U-verse, with 802.11n/b/g. ATT  said it “accepts” 802.11b.

i don’t know how to “change router to guest.” Where is that done? 

Is there any other solution?

Best Answer
0 Votes

unfortunately, changing my router settings did not work for me. I think that I'm ditching the aria.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@LEC1972 I'm glad to hear that your husband fixed the issue and got your Aria scale connected with your network. Thanks for posting the update here. Don't hesitate to get back if more assistance is needed. I'll be around and happy to help.

@Saltlakemom @Estefi10 I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scales were not able to connect with your networks. I understand how you feel and appreciate your feedback and comments.

@MCollins I'm sorry to hear that your scale didn't connect with your router either and I understand that you can't have your scale without a strong password. I really appreciate your feedback about this and this info will be forwarded to our team since this helps us to keep improving our products and services.

@n_sarawgi I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale was able to connect with your network. Thanks a lot for posting the outcome in the Community. I'll be around if you need more assistance with your Aria scale.

@n0bunaga It's great to see you here! I would like to follow up on this and would like to know if the issue persists or if you were able to connect your scale with your WiFi.

@_dt It's great to see you in the Community as well! Regarding your concern, the Aria scale needs WiFi and Internet in order to send the data to the Fitbit servers. The Aria 2 has implemented the a new way to set up which consists in using Bluetooth for the setup process only. However, as the first Aria scale, it needs Internet in order to send the information to the Dashboard. Let me know if you have additional questions my friend.

@melodyfisher Thanks for joining us in the Fitbit Community! I really appreciate your contribution and and I'm pretty sure that your workaround will help other users that experience the same issue.

@mzgee Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community! Thanks also for troubleshooting this issue by contacting Comcast. Since your Aria scale is still unable to connect, I would like you to make sure that your WiFi password is alphanumerical only and your scale is within a range of 10 feet during the setup process. After making sure of these details, try the setup process one more time as described in the video that contains this post and see if your scale connects properly.

@DRTak I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale is working and connecting with your WiFi properly. Thanks for keeping the update here in the Community! I'll be around if you need more assistance.

@fitfanTX I noticed that you are new in the Community, welcome aboard! I'm happy to help you with the inquiries you have.Basically, your Aria scale connects with your WiFi network. If you need help in changing your router settings, please contact with your Internet service providers and they'll guide you step by step. Please ask them how to change the protocol of the router to 802.11b, which is the protocol that the Aria needs to connect with your router. Also, make sure that your WiFi password contains letters and numbers only (no special characters). After this, try the setup process as described in the video of this post. During the setup process, make sure also that your scale is within a range of 10 feet.

@Tsanta59 Thanks for joining us in this thread and the Community! Regarding your question, the Aria scale syncs with protocols 802.11b or mixed mode only. In order to change the router to "guest" please get in touch with your Internet service provider. After this, make sure that your router runs 2.4 Ghz frequency. After this, try the setup process one more time as advised in the video that contains this post and let me know how it goes.

@SunsetRunner I see that you just joined our Fitbit Community, welcome aboard! I'm happy to assist you and help you to get your Aria scale set up. Since you mentioned that you changed settings, please let me know what is the brand of your router. Also confirm if your router is using the protocol 802.11 be or mixed mode. Also make sure that your router runs the frequency 2.4 Ghz. This info can be verified with your Internet service provider. Finally, make sure that your WiFi password contains letters and numbers only.

Looking forward to your response my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you JJF.

I can't remember if I replied to this thread or another one on a similar topic, but I was able, ultimately, to get the scale to connect to my router.  It was a disappointingly long exercise which was a failure because to have the scale connect to the router I had to change my router settings to something like 'completely open,' i.e. I had to eliminate all security ~ making my router and internet connection ~ publicly open to unknown users.  I live in a densely populated area across the street from 2 hotels.  Literally anyone would have been able to access the internet through my router and done anything they wanted with that connection... like illegal activity.  The way the law works, I would be legally culpable for criminal acts performed using my security-free, totally public router connection.  Maybe even more importantly, any harm caused by one of those users would be, in part, my fault.  I cannot fathom how in the 21st century Fitbit ~ a tech company ~ can't make a scale that safely connects to the internet.  I got a cheap bluetooth scale and it took me 90 seconds to set it up, connect to an app, weigh myself and have the result recorded in the app.  How can Fitbit not accomplish this?  And why is the Fitbit scale, which is for most people an expensive nightmare of wasted time and bountiful frustration, so freaking hard to set up?  Your response here ~ months (or has it been years?) since I first posted my troubles setting up the Aria scale ~ suggests there may be hope for Fitbit getting itself together and (finally) solving this problem.  To be honest, though, I've moved on from the Aria scale to one that actually works.  If Fitbit could make mine work (without compromising internet security) simply and easily or provided me with a new one that worked simply and easily, my faith would be restored.  Until then, the Aria scale is a head-scratching failure as far as I'm concerned.  Good luck. 

Best Answer
So what you are saying buy one that isnt aria? THANKS 

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
Best Answer
0 Votes

Basically, MzGee, yes.  I really want to support Fitbit products, and I don't have a gripe with the fitbit itself or the software on my phone or computer.  For whatever reason(s) the Aria scale has been, in my opinion, a boondoggle for them and they have let it be this way for years.  I have an A&D Medical brand scale that retails for about $60.  

Best Answer

My aria was sitting on the desk with my computer, and it didnt work. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

My advice is, DO NOT BUY AN ARIA!!!

I finally gave up and just bought an inexpensive other one which works great.

the Aria was a huge waste of money and time trying to set up.

uanjo, I do have the correct router, 802.11 b/n/g. I called Fitbit, was on the phone with a young lady “technical support,” and basically told me to do everything I’d already been doing. It didn’t work. She said, “try the same tomorrow” After four hours wasted, I took the batteries out of the Aria, and transferred to an inexpensive scale that works. The piece of garbage Aria, is taking up space in my garage. 

It is quite ridiculous that I can connect everything else I’ve bought to my WiFi, big and small, and not an expensive scale. 

To make matters worse, the Fitbit customer service attitude of “oh, well!” and that’s it, has definitely disappointed me with the company.

I have loved my Fitbit for many years and have gifted them to friends and family members. 

I am currently researching other exercise trackers, to switch. This stuff is too expensive to be so difficult to set up, and receive no other support other than told complicated procedures involving changing settings to non secure status, etc.

And judging by this thread, this is an ongoing, very common problem. 

Don’t buy an Aria!!!!

it is a huge waste of money. The company doesn’t care that their product is subpar and does not do what it claims to do — which is easily set up with WiFi.

They either try to get you to do complicated things that compromise your internet security, or simply say they don’t know “what else to try.” 

Don’t waste your money! There are less expensive products out there that work easily.

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes
I already donated my aria to goodwill.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I almost donated my Aria until I was lucky enough to fix it. I agree. Fibit does not support the Aria as well as they do their other devices. But even their other devices have faults. My band for my Charge 2 is broken. My spouses broke about the same time. They dont make things to last. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I really understand how you feel about this and I appreciate your comments and feedback. Your feedback will be sent to our team since this helps us to keep improving.

Don't hesitate to get back if additional questions arise!

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes
Well what questions would I have if my Aria issue was never resolved and it won’t even work as a regular scale, leave alone a “smart” one.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Did not work for me. 😞 

Best Answer
0 Votes