Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria body fat percentage questions

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I have a question on whether it is really possible I'm made up of 33% body fat (according to the aria scale).  Here are my stats:

51 year old woman

5' 6"

132 lbs.

currently wearing a size 6

33% body fat according to the charts means I'm obese.  I don't feel obese.  I know I need to lose 8 more lbs. to be at my ideal weight that I feel best at, but this 33% body fat has been pretty consistent the whole time I've been dieting.  Even after I lose 8 more lbs., I do not think it will be much less than 33% body fat on the aria scale.  I'm definitely not lean, so I know selecting the "lean" category in the settings would not apply to me.

I'm fine with just ignoring this and feeling good about the lbs. I've already lost, but every morning it's still a little depressing to weigh yourself and think how is it possible that 33% of my body is pure fat.

I weigh myself bare foot, dry feet every morning before I shower.  I do not move the scale.  It is sitting on the floor in my bedroom, same spot as always.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Hey all - I posted this in another thread, but it seems to be applicable here as well:

Body fat percentage often increases when one loses weight because of hydration levels. In the first week or so of eating better, most people tend to lose a lot of water weight, because their diet includes less salt and refined sugar.

Body fat percentage is calculated as fat mass divided by total mass. If you significantly lower the total mass, while fat mass stays the same, body fat percentage will increase simply due to the above math. Even if fat mass is also decreasing, total mass almost always decreases at a faster rate, which still results in an increase of body fat percentage.

If you continue to weigh yourself daily, you'll probably see that your body fat percent goes down on days when your weightfluctuates up, since you're retaining more water those days. Similarly, on days when your weight fluctuates down, the body fat percent goes up because you're retaining less water.

Hopefully this explains a bit of what you're seeing. The good news is that you're making progress toward your goal. On a longer timeframe, you'll be more likely to see both weight and BF% on the decrease.

So @Kimb5861 - what you're describing sounds normal. Your overall mass decreased at a higher ratio than your fat mass, so the body fat reading increased.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

@IAD In addition to what I mentioned above, remember that the Aria takes a unique reading with every measurement (unlike most consumer scales, which round their results to appear more consistent). This means that minor factors like the way you stand on the scale or the positioning of your feet can slightly affect the readings. The ranges you mentioned sound pretty normal, and shouldn't affect your ability to use the scale to achieve your goals.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

@CarrieV, given your stats, I think it's unlikely that your body fat is that high. I'm in a similar situation where I pretty much just ignore the body fat readings, because they don't seem to be accurate.

MakMak | Community Council

If you find a response useful, please mark it as a solution to help others.

Check out the Lifestyle Forums for ways to get more active!

Best Answer

@CarrieV @MakMak Thank you for participating in the Community!

By weighin yourself barefoot and dry feet, is a great way to troubleshoot this issue. I also recommend taking the batteries out for 15 seconds and put them back in. After this, weigh yourself for 5 consecutive times and check out if your Aria displays an accurate body fat percentage.

Let me know the outcome of the workaround! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
I am 6'2" and 165. Before I had to reset to change the wireless access login, it had me at about 17%. Immediately after, I was about 33% and have been ever since (and through several attempts to reset again). Tried the method described here and there is no change.
Best Answer

@AaronHill Welcome to our Community my friend! So sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not measuring your body fat percentage properly even though you have troubleshooted this issue accordingly. In this case, I recommend contacting our Customer Support team so they can investigate further and get you back on track.

Keep me posted how it goes my friend and I'll be around! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi CarrieV and the rest.

Im having the same issue like you.  For some reason, all the measurements are near 30% regardless of what I do.  Always dry feet, same time in the mourning.  Ive been using the aria for a long period of time and same results (fat%) at least the weight is goin down :).  Ill try tomorrow to do the reset procedure and post if it helped or not.  I compared the uncomparable (using another impedance fat% measurement tool) and it detected 15%.  I might not be 15 but Im sure less than 20 so something is a bit off and it seems to be similar with others, it is weir that we are all different but the aria is detecting 30% to all.  I hope fitbit takes a look of this and maybe launch a firmware update that could correct his issue.  Im sure that most if not all that aquired the aria was for the %fat measurement, and this is what is not working properly.

I hope this gets fix soon

Regars to all,

T

Best Answer

@tompin2 Thanks for joining us and welcome to the Community! It's weird that your Aria is measuring such a high body fat percentage. I'd like you to make sure that your height, weight and gender is correct in your Dashboard settings. After this, try the reset process which is taking the batteries out and putting them back in.

Finally, weigh yourself 5 times and verify if your body fat percentage is still wrong. If the issue persists, I recommend contacting our Support team so the issue can be sorted out.

I'll be here if anything else is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

Same issue!  I am 5' 5" and weight 135 and I'm certain my BF is NOT 32%!!  In addition, when I lose a pound or two and my weight goes down on the scale, the BF goes UP?????  This scale should work much better than it does. Frustrating....with the horrible issues of setting it up in the first place (hours and hours) and now it doesn't even give a person accurate info?  I love my FitBit, but I see very little benefit from a scale that is innaccurate.  

Finally, does anyone know what the correct function should be upon stepping on the scale each day?  I typically weigh in the  morning and will step on the scale two times, to check accuracy.  The weight is very rarely the same both times and here's the thing:  Weigh #1: I step on and the scale reads: "Hi, sensing, thinking, step off....then the info rolls across.  Weigh #2: I step on and it goes straight to the weight info?? 

Thanks for any responses!

Kristi

Best Answer

I'm having issues as well. I'm 5'3" and about 142 lbs (size 8), with 36% body fat according to the scale. The body fat percentage keeps going up and up and up, and I know I'm putting on more muscle and work out regularly. I could certainly stand to lose a pound or 15, but I know I'm not obese, for heaven's sake. It's really depressing, and I'm just about to give myself permission to just ignore it completely. 

Best Answer

I am reluctant to remove the batteries from my scale, since it took me THREE DAYS to have the scale sync in the first place.

Best Answer

Same sort of issue here. The Aria was having a heck of a time connecting to my WiFi, so I set up a second, dedicated wireless AP for it. Followed the procedure for resetting so I could connect to a the new wireless AP and now my Body Fat % is all out of wack. At the start of April I was at 32%. Prior to resetting for the WiFi change (July 19th) I was down to 25%. Since then (post-WiFi reset), it's been steady at reporting my Body Fat % at 42.4%. I'll try another reset tonight and see if that makes any difference?

Best Answer

Hi JuanJo, I am having the same issues as described above. Taking the batteries out won't work, neither do weighing myself 5 times in a row. I weigh myself more than 5 times in a row, and everytime there is a different result, both in terms of body fat percentage, and weight.  Man Frustrated

Best Answer

I tried resetting it again last night and still no-go. Weight is accurate (enough), but Body Fat % remains messed up.

Best Answer
Dear all,

My Arial has consistently measure almost double for two years now. I have
done everything suggested on any official and not official sites. Right
now is measuring 37% in normal and 31% muscular. I'm about 17% measured
with several methods. I just gave up and accept that this is only a fancy
scale. it seems to me that the scale has manufacturer design issues that
prevent from fixing this problem. Fit bit has not released any new
firmware to address nor explain properly the issue. Who ever bought this
scale, was because the fat% reading, and that seems to be the biggest
weakness. I hope fit bit come to senses and invest time in solving this
problem. I am convinced it can be fixed!
Best Answer

Im Having the same issue! any solution?

i did this method, no success !

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

The only "solution" is to ignore the body fat %. Aparently FitBit doesn't care whether it works or not, so the only thing you can do is ignore it.

Best Answer
I bought this scale for logging BF%
Best Answer
The solution is to contact Customer Support. There is a serious issue
with the scale and they will work with you to provide a replacement.
Best Answer
Oh thank you for the advise, Fitbit just replaced my Aria scale, it will be shipped within 7 days.
Best Answer

I've contacted support as well, but have yet to hear back from them—but will update if/when I do.

Best Answer
0 Votes