Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria body fat percentage questions

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, I have a question on whether it is really possible I'm made up of 33% body fat (according to the aria scale).  Here are my stats:

51 year old woman

5' 6"

132 lbs.

currently wearing a size 6

33% body fat according to the charts means I'm obese.  I don't feel obese.  I know I need to lose 8 more lbs. to be at my ideal weight that I feel best at, but this 33% body fat has been pretty consistent the whole time I've been dieting.  Even after I lose 8 more lbs., I do not think it will be much less than 33% body fat on the aria scale.  I'm definitely not lean, so I know selecting the "lean" category in the settings would not apply to me.

I'm fine with just ignoring this and feeling good about the lbs. I've already lost, but every morning it's still a little depressing to weigh yourself and think how is it possible that 33% of my body is pure fat.

I weigh myself bare foot, dry feet every morning before I shower.  I do not move the scale.  It is sitting on the floor in my bedroom, same spot as always.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
356 REPLIES 356

Just heard back from support...sending me a replacement as well.

k.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone received their replacement yet?  I was offered a replacement but I JUST got the scale last week and I really don't want to go through the hassle of returning it if the new one is just as "off."

Best Answer
0 Votes
My replacement on the way, as well I have the same feelings regarding shipping my old scale back
Best Answer
0 Votes

I guess I will take a chance on a new one.  If this one doesn't work, I have a very expensive scale that doesn't do one of the things I really bought it for.  I will keep my fingers crossed.

Best Answer

@AlFadhel So glad to hear that you will receive your replacement scale soon. You don't need to send the old one back. You can take it to any recycling program of electronic products.

@kmaling @lizandjoem It's great to hear that you also were offered a replacement Aria scale. Thanks for keeping the update here. I'll be around if you have any questions with your new scales.

Once you all receive your scales, visit this post which explains how to set up your devices.

Catch ya all later! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I plan to go this route today.....I have done everything suggested by both FitBit customer service and other members....resetting, removing batteries, re-syncing, and NOTHING!  Not only does the weight vary by at least 1/2 to 1 pound every time I weigh (each morning, back-to-back), the body fat has always registered at 33-34%.  I am 5'4" and weigh right around 132 (at least I think I do, since the scale varies.....have never been more than 24% body fat in my life - measured with calipers most of the time. VERY frustrating to spend so much money on a scale to get accurate results during a weight loss program, yet have NO info on which to rely.  A shame, too, since my FitBit One is great and has never given me an ounce of trouble.  This scale was a real pain on initial set-up and synce and continues to frustrate me. FitBit may replace it, but the problem still remains for scores of others who have also given their hard-earned money to this company.  IT SHOULD BE CORRECTED!

Best Answer

Oh, I was told they would send my new one once they received the old one.  They gave me FedEx instructions.  It has been sent.

Yes, it had my fat percentage at 36.1.  It should be in the mid20s for me too!

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am very overweight at 81kg but not trusting my bf % at around 45%. Does that sound right? From entries in here am I just to ignore it?
Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting reading. I've been thinking of getting some of these scales and came across this forum as part of my research. As it is a body fat measurement I am most interested in, I think I'll give it a miss and find an alternative. 

What a shame, I would certainly have gone on to buy more from the fitbit range to compliment these scales.

Best Answer

Juan, what do I need to do to request a replacement?  I have done every reset suggestion posted.  This morning I, yet again, took out the batteries and weighed five times.....NO change on the BF readings.  I like the scale alot except for this very obvious malfunction.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Also having the same issue with dramatic inaccuracies on BF %.  Last summer, I was working out with a trainer and he measured my stats on an InBody 520 at the gym.  At that time, I was 139lbs with 27% BF.  The aria had me at 33%.  Three months later, I dropped 10lbs and got my BF% to 17%!!  The Aria had me at 27% so it seems about 8-10 percentage points off for me.  I was sent another scale and same problem and I changed my setting to lean.  I am unfortunately in between those stats now:  134lbs and Aria is saying I'm at 31.5% BF.  I'm 5'4".  Bottom line, I spent $130 on this scale to track BF because I'm lifting weights again and I find this really frustrating.  Is anyone getting accurate reads?

Best Answer
I finally gave up and requested a new scale. It was much easier than I
thought it would be. As long as you have your receipt of a copy of it, you
can chat with a representative and they'll send you a new one and I was not
required to return the one I have. This was such an IRRITATING problem,
considering the cost of this scale. I'm just hoping that the new scale
will be corrected. No guarantees, because it sounds like there are MANY
folks with this issue, which makes me wonder if it's not a manufacturing
defect. If this one does the same thing, I'm getting a refund.

Thanks for your comment!!!! 🙂
Best Answer
0 Votes
I have no idea why some people (like me) have to send the scales back to get a replacement and others do not. It seems unfair. I guess I am just frustrated.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Really? That is, TOTALLY, unfair! I chatted online and mine was purchased
in February through HSN. Is your situation similar?
Best Answer
0 Votes

I too am having a similar issue. My Aria had been reading at about 14.5%-19%. These readings were prior to me beginning to work out. Suddenly, (since I began working out) I have began getting readins of 22.6%-23%. I find it VERY hard to believe that with no activity other than walking that my body fat % would be less than when I am running and working out. I know my weight will likely not decrease as muscle weighs more than fat, but my body fat % should definitely be decreasing. My current weight is 112.8 @ 23% body fat. I am 5'0" and 29 years old. 

Best Answer

I bought mine directly from FitBit two weeks ago so they even have all my information already!  I feel like a complainer, which historically I am not, but I don't understand why I am being treated so differently.  I even asked if they would put a new one in the mail if I emailed them proof that it has been shipped, but I have not heard back.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hello to everyone on this forum. I've been using Fitbit blaze for about 6 months and I'm really happy with it. I'm thinking about buying the scales mainly for the body fat function. However reading this forum it seems that it doesn't work. Has anyone had success with it? Thanks Tom
Best Answer

I wish I would have read all these comments before I purchsed the Aria. I,.too, purchased to have more info than just my weight. It did take me a while (about an hour which seemed ridiculous) to get it set up *(would not work trying to set up on my ipad, but finally did on my phone). So this morning it's showing I lost 2 lbs but my fat % just jumped from 25% (in the past month) to 41% this morning! HOW can that be, when I've lost 2 lbs? I don't want to keep this scale if this is a "common" problem. Just ignoring the fat % is not an option for me. I see someone suggested I contact Customer Service. Does anyone have that number or email or can tell me where to find it? Thank you all!

I love my Fitbit HR but wish I would have read through these comments before I purchased the Aria. I'm certain I wouldn't have bothered. This is very frustrating.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I find everyone's problems with the scale interesting.

*I am an IT person and I too had lots of trouble setting up the scale. I took me at least an hour. Setup for the scale needs to be made simpler or they need to publish better instructions.

*My body fat percentages seem to be off by -2% on lean and +2% on regular. 

*My weight seems to be consistent between weigh ins, +/-0.3lbs. 

I am not sure how much a person’s build affects the readings from the scale. Also, I always weigh in in the mornings before I shower. Usually within 30 of the same time every day.

Me

38 male 6"0'

182.5 11.1%

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone received theirs yet?  I still have no answer as to why I was required to send mine back but I know that it has been received.  I was just wondering if anyone has any good news for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes