Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Aria accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought and set up my Aria about a week ago. I immeidately noticed that it was reporting my weight about 2-2.5lbs lower than my existing scale. 

Doing an experiement, I placed a 25lb. dumbell on each scale getting 10 readings each. My old scale reported 25.0 -25.1 lbs each time. The Aria reported 23.1 - 23.3 lbs. each time. Since the dumbell is a known weight, to me the Aria is about 7% below what it should be.

I've read elsewhere on these forums about how an individual's weight can vary and how the Aria can report a variance of about 2lbs. In this case, I'm looking at a static weight  in the dumbell. 

While I can understand that I guess, what I have a problem with is consistent underreporting that I am seeing.  

Has anyone else done this type of experiement or observed something similar?

Cheers

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178
I have the same problem with aria -- it is consistently 3.5-4lbs more than my scale--
I have been a at management program for over three years--I always put a10lb dumbbell on my old scale and it is always
accurate--ams my scale is consistently
accurate with my program scale--
Best Answer
0 Votes
Fit Bit does not seem to be concerned about the quality of the scale. I did
not purchase it because of the negative reviews.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The Aria scale continues to be the most inaccurate scale I've ever purchased. My cheap digital is more accurate than the Aria.  I am a Weight Watcher and there's always a big difference in the WW weigh in compared to what I weigh on the Aria scale.  I bought my Aria scale months ago from Best Buy, have the box and will find out if I can return it. I am VERY disappointed.

P.S.  My scale is on a hard surface, isn't moved except for cleaning and then I weigh myself at least six times to recalibrate.  I'm following all the tips and doing the right thing and it still fluctuates far too much to give an accurate reading. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, are we required to buy homes with large enough bathrooms so that we don't have to move the scale and/or remodel our current bathrooms and install different flooring, thereby making the scale cost thousands of dollars? Sounds to me like it's simply a bad design. I should not have to get on and off my scale upwards of 15 times before it records the same weight twice.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Accuracy vs. consistency explained by @MatthewFitbit in an older post:

I know that it may sound a bit strange, but the majority of consumer scales in fact do not show "perfectly accurate" readings. Most scales will internally skew measurements based on previous weighings, so that each measurement appears to be consistent with previous ones.

Humans typically weigh a hundred to several hundred pounds - when you try to measure that weight on a plate that is less than a square foot in area, small changes in foot positioning or floor resiliency can result in significant deviations in the reading. The only way to deal with this is to either round off that result, or accept a range of accuracy. The Aria is designed to be the latter.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
This statement you wrote is false. I don't think you have ever looked inside
a scale.

" Most scales will internally skew measurements based on previous weighings,
so that each measurement appears to be consistent with previous ones."
Best Answer
0 Votes

I generally agree with the fact that consumer scales can be somewhat inaccurate but they should be reasonably consistent which is why I thought my suggestion for the firmware to allow for at home "calibration" would be a good solution. It should be a fairly simple feature addition and a perfect use of the firmware technology.

Best Answer

You can vote for my feature request to add a "tap to zero/recalibrate" option to the Aria.

Best Answer

New Aria user here, synced it to my wifi network and Fitbit account (I'm a One user) earlier this week. Over the course of two days I have stepped on it about 20 times and I've gotten 20 different weight results. Interestingly enough the body fat results remain consistent.

At first I figured I would just calibrate it the way that the documentation says (by stepping on it 5 times) but then saw the discrepencies and so I kept logging entries for kicks. I'm going to stick with it for a week and then send it back if this continues.

I'm coming from a cheapy $10 scale that started to give me varying and inaccurate weights and so I didn't expect this from something that cost $130. I can just go back to Walmart and pay $10 for something that works better.

Best Answer
That's pretty much the reality of the Aria. I've gotten so used to the inaccuracies that it's too late to return it. It's not worth the 130 bucks Though.
Best Answer

The convenience of the wireless record keeping is worth the price. The readings are consistent so in my case I just want to know where my weight is headed, hopefully down! The few lbs. either way is not a factor unless your weighing in for a sporting event.

Best Answer
0 Votes

we purchased the scale about a month ago.  My parnter and I have been using it consistently and with hard workouts, walking and watching wheat we eat were encouraged by the consistent yet slow weight loss.  My partner was 115kg to begin with and I was 70kg.  After a month or more of working out we gradullay went down to 111 and 65.  What a great motivational tool......we thought.  Until yesterday when suddenly we showed 115 and 70kg each.  We checked with our old digital scale and this was almost the same.  We cannot have put on 5kgs each in a day!!!!  Surely............This morning we were still showing 115 and 70kg.  My partner who has real health issues now refuses to walk as its just a total waste of time in his view.  He has gone from someone totally motivated to completely apathetic towards weight loss.  If he gained 5kg by exercising, why should he do anything.  We are totally disappointed.  We paid $160 for the scales and even if we had the box to return them, we have stillost the most important thing......our motivation

Best Answer
0 Votes
I believe the scale should be used to establish a trend line. Daily
measurements are not indicative of your progress. Take the average for the
first week and compare it to the average of the fourth week to see how
you're doing. Yes you can vary five pounds in a day.
Best Answer
0 Votes

we are not talking 5 pounds, we are talking 5 kilos.  And this jump was from one day to the next after 4 weeks of showing a steady weight loss.  We dont ha ve any idea anymore how much we actually weigh.  We cant have puot 4 weeks worth of weight loss back on in one day without doing the wrong thing.........surely

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have been having crazy weight variations! I can weigh myself 3 times in a row and get wildly varying weights! Example 220 lbs 168 lbs 240 I weighed at that time 189 lbs. I have been trying to contact fitbit but the email I try to send brings up error thry refreshing your brouser or try again. This is my second scale and fitbit makes it so hard to get a replacement that it's frustrating! What can I do to fix this? I have removed the batteries etc etc! Please help someone!

Best Answer
@MatthewFitbit I recently purchased a scale and it was off by 15 lbs compared to the scale I weighting on prior. I realize scales are different, but that different???
Best Answer

@Jkabir511 You might check out the tips in this help article to make sure your Aria is providing the most accurate results possible. Large disparities like that are often the result of an uncalibrated scale, or measuring yourself on something resilient like linoleum or wood flooring. It's also possible that your other scale had its own inaccuracies - comparing one scale to another isn't usually the best measure of which is accurate, since they are both variables.

If you've verified your weight on a precision scale (like the one at a doctor's office), we'd expect the Aria to be within 2 pounds of that measurement. If you continue to see it off by a large amount, I'd recommend contacting our Support Team for assistance, as there may be an issue with your particular device.

Best Answer

I just bought my Aria this evening. I hooked it up and it read 12 lbs lighter than my true weight.  At others suggestions, I tried moving my scale to get a more correct weight.  That's scary because if I or some else inadvertently move the scale a few inches, it's no longer reliable.  I don't mind spending this kind of money on something reliable, but I'm better off sticking with my old, conventional scale and inputting my weight manually.  I really wanted to like it but it's too sensitive and unreliable.

Best Answer
I tried everything suggested but still no good. A scale is useless if it varies this much. How can Fitbit sell a product so unreliable as the aria in good conscience? They are not taking emails regarding the aria. When you do get through to them by phone they are very unhelpful. I wanted a replacement they refused to do it until I sent them the original receipt of purchase then they would decide whether to replace it or not. Yah right! Fitbit dropped the ball on this! Thank god Amazon isn't like this they refunded my money. Amazon has had so many returns they stopped selling the aria. Not a good sign for fitbit!
Best Answer

Seems I'm getting a replacement sent out - didn't have receipt as was a gift.

I'm based in UK so couldn't phone - they took me through a long drawn out process (recalibrating, taking 5 measurements etc) which I had already done, after I completed everything they said they tried to start all over again!

Atleast it was eventually sorted when I complained about this.

Best Answer
0 Votes