Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Aria accuracy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought and set up my Aria about a week ago. I immeidately noticed that it was reporting my weight about 2-2.5lbs lower than my existing scale. 

Doing an experiement, I placed a 25lb. dumbell on each scale getting 10 readings each. My old scale reported 25.0 -25.1 lbs each time. The Aria reported 23.1 - 23.3 lbs. each time. Since the dumbell is a known weight, to me the Aria is about 7% below what it should be.

I've read elsewhere on these forums about how an individual's weight can vary and how the Aria can report a variance of about 2lbs. In this case, I'm looking at a static weight  in the dumbell. 

While I can understand that I guess, what I have a problem with is consistent underreporting that I am seeing.  

Has anyone else done this type of experiement or observed something similar?

Cheers

Best Answer
178 REPLIES 178

Totally agree, when your scales are always giving inaccurate readings, its very hard to stay positive especially if trying to lose weight.  If at least they were consistent in showing the same inaccurate reading be it 2kg over or 2 under.  When you cant rely on them they are useless.  We've had our scales for nearly 2 years and they have given us no joy at all.  Luckily we purchased an extended warranty as we are taking them back to the store for a refund...........we don't want a replacement as a new scale would be the same.  The manufacturer is of no help at all, so its pointless getting one of these again.  No recommendation from us either!!!

Best Answer

I'm having a similar problem.  I have the Aria scales and I have regular scales.  The Aria scale always makes me heavier than my normal scale.  This week, however, things got even crazier.  Now, I KNOW I've lost a heap of weight and body fat this week - I can SEE it in the mirror and in my clothes - I don't need scales to tell me.  BUT Aria tells me I've lost less than half a kilo, where my normal scales tell me I've lost 3 kilos which I believe.  Also, Aria tells me my body fat percentage hasn't gone down at all!  Really frustrating when I'm trying to get a true and accurate reading.

Best Answer
Understand your frustration..........we finally took our scales back to the
store for a refund after nearly 2 years (we took out extended warranty).
Kept checking for solutions to the problem and in the end gave up. Now we
use our weight watchers scale and are confident when it gives us our daily
weight readings. When you are trying to loose weight, the scales NEED to
be accurate or at least consistent. I would take your scales back and keep
using the ones you have. Good luck
Best Answer

Same problem here, worked well for 11 months now over reporting always by 6lbs to 7lbs, and i have compared it to multiple scales side by side at same time. Fitbit support has been beyond useless. Saying if i'm not happy with accuracy return for refund even though I was very happy with the scales and just want a warranty replacement as i'm convinced they now have a fault.

Best Answer

I am so glad I am not the only one who stressed out over this expensive scale...Well said!!! 

LOL you're so right! How do we fix this? I mean his scale is over 100 dollars. This things should more accurate than anything. So, lets see I weighed myself after Christmas I weighed 190 yes I have been eating so I decided as of new years as my resolution to take control of my weight. So I cut out all sugars and eat lots of veggies,water,and vitamins as well as of course workout. Now the scale says I am 196 pounds How the hell did I gain that much weight in 5 days? It went from 190 to 190 to 196 all in a day this is nuts. I have a aria owner for three years now and it's stressing me out. I always weigh myself in the morning only before I eat. If you find anything out please let me know otherwise I got to get a different scale.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi I regularly see a dietitian at my local hospital and the aria 2 is around 3kg lighter in difference between the hospital scales. As I believe the hospital scales have to be very accurate, so means aria 2 are not as accurate as they are stated to be.

Best Answer

You raise a great point here, Patruns. Due to limited space we keep ours resting up against the bathroom wall, then put it on the floor to use it. At first we thought the fluctuations were due to uneven flex in the wooden floor, depending on where you sited the Aria. But now we've had the floor screeded and large heavy floor tiling put down so it's stable.

However, the weight variances kept happening. We thought maybe it was whether you had two of the resting pads on 1 tile and the back 2 on the next tile. So recently we've been siting the Aria in the center of just one, large floor tile.

Then we noticed that it always gave a lower weight after the Aria went through it's "Sensing" routing. Every weigh following this would usually result in a 2 - 2.3lb variance (but never a constant) - I'm also wondering what the sampling cycle rate is - which might account for .2 - .3lbs depending on where you apply pressure with you feet/balance/weight at any given second.

I'm going to leave the Aria out, on the floor, all day and see what it says tomorrow morning.

But i think you might be on to something here.

Best Answer
0 Votes
i have been using my aria for a while now — i also use another digital scale that i had before i got the aria — there is NEVER a more than .2 -.3 lb
difference between the two.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yep--same with mine--about 2 pounds higher than my older scale. I weighed a 50-pound bag for airplane travel, and it weighed within .5 pound of the airline scale. I have also compared the two with free weights. I followed all of the followed the instructions to the letter, but the scale still records 2 pounds off. I also wonder about the BMI measurements that, for multiple people in my family--vary a lot within the same week! I like that it syncs with my phone app. I might have returned it if I hadn't gotten it on sale. Oh well. I just subtract those extra 2 pounds from my weight loss goal.

@tsnouffer wrote:

I bought and set up my Aria about a week ago. I immeidately noticed that it was reporting my weight about 2-2.5lbs lower than my existing scale. 

Doing an experiement, I placed a 25lb. dumbell on each scale getting 10 readings each. My old scale reported 25.0 -25.1 lbs each time. The Aria reported 23.1 - 23.3 lbs. each time. Since the dumbell is a known weight, to me the Aria is about 7% below what it should be.

I've read elsewhere on these forums about how an individual's weight can vary and how the Aria can report a variance of about 2lbs. In this case, I'm looking at a static weight  in the dumbell. 

While I can understand that I guess, what I have a problem with is consistent underreporting that I am seeing.  

Has anyone else done this type of experiement or observed something similar?

Cheers

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is showing as solved. What was the solution?

ive been moving mine around on the floor and taking a statistical average for years now thinking as did several of the people on the thread that it might be an issue with the floor. 

Best Answer
Not solved! On a solid level floor and get different readings each time I use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The purpose of my life is to be an instrument of love, joy and awareness for myself and others.
What is the purpose of your life?
Best Answer

@SassyNanny wrote:
Not solved! On a solid level floor and get different readings each time I use it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The purpose of my life is to be an instrument of love, joy and awareness for myself and others.
What is the purpose of your life?

Well darn! I was hoping it’d be something like “Change the battery”

”Move to Oz and the Wizard will help!”

But it looks like a support call is in order. I don’t have a bathroom big enough for two scales. Can’t believe I did this work around for as long as I have. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've done that, but it still doesn't even agree with my other "non-smart" scale.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know your post s old but I am going through looking for solved problems with this scale. Did you ever get yours figured out? I had my scale for 3 years now and I started a slimfast diet and was 193 I weighed myself a week later it told me I am 195 than a week later I was 189 then 188 then 187 but in the same day I went from 189 to 188 to 197 to 186 all in one day? then next morning I am back at 190? I got my wii fit scale and it says 185 so this scale is bull crap! I have took batteries out put new ones in everything. who has time to sit there and fuzz with a scale? and they have the nerve to come out with a second one?

Best Answer
Hi,

No, this problem has not been solved. People continue to complain about
it. It's a very frustrating rip-off.
Best Answer

Nope
It’s still crazy

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
Never got sorted, still can not see how Fitbits can say these are medical
grade accurate scales when they are not properly calibrated.
Best Answer
Nope not resolved. But I haven’t called in yet either.

I was an early adopted of Fitbit tech and the support I’ve received online
has never EVER been satisfactory.

HOWEVER

When I have called support I have ALWAYS received the exact opposite and
each call.

The direct call support has always been exemplary.

Several times it really was my fault like the time the call resulted in an
“I’m sorry but that’s not covered now but dropping your Fitbit in a
blender, is unfortunate. May we offer you a 25% discount on your
replacement?”

I appreciate the one stop aggregate of my fitness. I don’t believe what the
scale says but if it’s in the same place every day I do know if I’m
trending heavier or losing weight. When I want to know the damage for now I
get on the 20 year old bathroom scale I bought at Sears.

I will call soon but I haven’t yet.

I am also considering posting my issue on Facebook because these days for
online interaction it seems to get a quicker response.

Anyone else?
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile
Best Answer

No never resolved it. I’m back to using my old scales. I feel mightily ripped off on the aria scales and the watch as that’s always wrong too. Will never buy there products again.

Best Answer

Nothing Fitbit says works to fix this. Cheap $19 scale is more accurate. I don't believe the % of fat either because it fluctuates so much the same morning! I weigh when I get up in the morning undressed and move the scale around about 3 times, and it's still wrong! I've tried removing batteries too. I got a corporate discount of $50 off at least, but all this thing is good for is syncing your weight to your Fitbit app so you don't have to manually enter.

Hey all, just found this. No surprise that the Aria did NOT make the list! http://m.bestreviews.com/best-bathroom-scales

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer