Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant connect to Aria WiFi

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
Most people seem to struggle to connect to their home WiFi but mey problem is connecting to Arias WiFi. I have tried both setup methods. One with a laptop using the downloaded program & the mobile web page on a mobile phone with mobile data switched off as per other posts. I get as far as the devices unsuccessfully attempting to connect to the Aria's WiFi. With the laptop it eventually comes back with limited connection but then the step thereafter fails as there is no network connection apparently. With the phone, it gets as far as "Obtaining IP address" & thats as far as it goes till it gives up. My router is set to cover b, g & n. I've been through the help pages & YouTube videos but nothing seems to cover my experience. This is very frustrating for an expensive scale. Can anybody help or am I returning this tomorrow?
Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So I eventually figured out what the issue was. I had forgotten that I was running a fixed IP address. Changed it temporary to dynamic, did the connection & completed the setup.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
76 REPLIES 76

How close is the scale to your router? From what I've seen, during setup it has to be within like 10ft of the router to connect properly.

Best Answer
All equipment is within 1.5m from the router.
Best Answer
0 Votes

So I eventually figured out what the issue was. I had forgotten that I was running a fixed IP address. Changed it temporary to dynamic, did the connection & completed the setup.

Best Answer

Glad the change to dynamic IP address worked for you.  Mine was already set that way and have the same problem you do.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I never even SEE the Aria network.

The frustration for me is that I had my scale working just fine for many months but after getting a new computer AND Time Warner's newer modem for wifi and phone and having them set it up (they had set up the old one that did work with my scale), nothing works to get the Aria working.

It shows V37 then says network is <networkname> which is the same name as the old and the new network, says press to change but then nothing works.

Fitbit software on the computer tells me I must unplug the ethernet cable but then nothing works on the computer (this is how twc set it up).

Of course my tablet is a Kindle Fire and I get just as far with the fitbit app.. but it seems it is not supported by fitbit really.. so it wants me to go to windows store or google play but to be safe and not sideload, I need to get stuff from the Amazon store.

If it had never worked with my system back when I got it I'd have just returned it, but I like the scale and it did a beautiful job of throwing my weight and fat % downstairs to my system and it showed up on my dashboard just fine.

(not saying it worked on the Fire, but actually seems it was working up until April 18 when my problems started with my old computer and the old modem).

I've had to write down the numbers each time I weigh and then hand enter them on my computer which seems really clunky and NOT what I wanted this scale to do..

I'm such a FitBit supporter.. had a ONE, had a FORCE and used that until I got my CHARGE HR. but this is really frustrating.

And I'm not technical in the way you must be requiring. 

Best Answer

FitBit Area Scale WIFI Set up Step- by-step

1. Go to this page on your phone (have to do these steps all the way on your PC, phone or Laptop)

https://www.fitbit.com/scale/setup/start

2. Log in on to “Fitbit Your Account”

3. Choose your Username & User Initials (has to be 3 lettes)

Important: (Scale has to be few feet away from router)

4. Go on the phone Wifi settings click Area scale - Click Connect

5. Go back to Set up page Click I’m connected

6. It will come up next page (wait until your Wifi router displayed) choose your Wifi network type your password

7. Go back Wifi settings (on your phone or Laptop) click your Wifi network - Click Connect

8. Than Go back to Set up page Click I’m connected

It will come-up SUCCESS CONNECTED

Best Answer
This would be fine if FitBit accepted my WiFi setup, or if it supported Kindle Fire Tablets for this task, or I had a working laptop, or a smart phone. I will have a smart phone activated soon and then if it is compatible, it may work. The frustration is that when I got my Aria , I was able to set it up, from my computer, and it worked without demanding that I change anything.

Note to developers and programmers at this wildly growing company: interfaces matter. Complex code to create simple interfaces results in happier customers, especially for expensive gadgets, such as the Aria scale.

As it now stands, my scale has become like any nice scale. If I have to write down the numbers and manually enter them, I could go back to my former scale that provides more data.

It also means I am no longer telling people "I love my Aria scale".

A n d indeed I certainly read and tried those instructions in every possible way, from my computer and my tablet, prior to venting here.
Best Answer

I have been trying for hours! These are by far the best step by step instructions I have found and it's finally worked. Thank you.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It says in order to make it work, I have to set it on a "hard" surface. My computer isn't near a hard surface. It is a carpet. Should I send it back?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Follow the instructions posted by Hmonee above, exactly as written.
Best Answer
0 Votes

OH MY GOD. 7 hours later. THIS IS THE ANSWER. If you just goto https://www.fitbit.com/setup/aria and do not associate it says NO SYNC. 

FIXED. 

Moderator Edit: Corrected link

Best Answer
The link goes to an error page.
Best Answer
0 Votes

How do you set that up to dynamic?  ... My problem is when the scales connect to the wifi all I get is limited and it disconects my laptop from the network. 

Best Regards

Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

Looks like Fitbit has a problem with new generation Wi-Fi.  My internet was just updated to the newest generation signaling, 802.11 ac.  It is backward compatable with the older protocols, but not with Aria.  Here is my reply to Fitbit Support.  Fitbit really needs to address this!!!

Hello again, JuanMa! It seems like to get my Aria to work again I have the choice of downgrading all of my internet service to an old protocol or forgetting about the Aria. That doesn’t make sense does it? This is the information I have been able to find:

802.11ac

The newest generation of Wi-Fi signaling in popular use, 802.11ac utilizes dual band wireless technology, supporting simultaneous connections on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Wi-Fi bands. 802.11ac offers backward compatibility to 802.11b/g/n and bandwidth rated up to 1300 Mbps on the 5 GHz band plus up to 450 Mbps on 2.4 GHz.

The new protocol is backward compatible so shouldn’t it work with Aria? Is there some change that Fitbit needs to initiate since this is the newest generation of Wi-Fi? I think Fitbit needs to look at this closely. I am seeing more and more postings that are not very favorable to Fitbit, and I have been a long-time proponent of your company. Please keep up with the technology!

Thank you.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer

I love fitbit products, but I keep reading and reading and some suggestions are too technical and the simple suggestions are not working.

I can connect laptops all over the house just by pushing the WIFI button on my router to allow access.  I cannot get this scale reconnected to my new WIFI despite numerous attempts.  My set up is active and that's as far as I get.

Best Answer
I’ve got the same problem! Fitbit is not using the current WiFi protocol, so newer WiFi will routers will not connect the scale. You have to go back to the old WiFi, or don’t hook up the Aria.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Seamonkey - This is my EXACT problem.  I've been battling this for 4 months and Fitbit just sent me a new scale, saying my scale was probably a defect. 

Just got it today and...SAME THING.  

I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of returns or a serious drop in sales when Time Warner customers upgrade to their newest modem and this scale won't connect at all. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, it is a shame.. I used to rave about the scale. I still use it, of course, and note the numbers on my calendar app, but the thought of entering it all into the fitbit dashboard just fills me with resentment.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I got so put out with connecting my Aria to the new Motorola wifi last night that I almos threw it out in the back yard.  Everything about getting it set up is BAD.

Best Answer
0 Votes