Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing batteries on Aria is a difficult task

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love my Aria, don't get me wrong. But WHY should changing batteries be such a complete pain in the a**? What should be a simple user task requires the whole charade of trying to reconnect to the network, which usually means going to the website on another device to figure out how to do it, it usually takes me about 15 minutes all up. Changing the actual batteries takes 10 seconds. It's not trivial. It is a very poor user experience that surely must have a simpler solution.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

Thanks for your contribution to the Community @Coolie21. I realize this response is a long time coming, but did want to take the time to address your post.

I will make sure to forward your great feedback to our tema members. I also would like to share a link in which you can post your feature requests or ideas, that way our engineers can follow up on them. Smiley Very Happy

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/idb-p/features

Take care!

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer

Totally agree -I'm in the middle of changing natteries.  Do I have to do a full install all over again?  I changed batteries got setup active then a bunch of step off messages.  I have used this for about 10 months so it should be able to find the network again once the batteries are replaced.  If not what tis the return policy.  No point in keeping a product that needs to be reinstalled everytime the batteries need to be changed.

Best Answer

@monkeyherder There is no need to repeat the setup process. Just make sure that your scale is not too far away from the router so it can connect once more with it. After you get the step off messages, what do you see on the Aria's display? Have you tried to step on the scale again?

Best Answer

I have just finished an HOURLONG chat session with Fitbit about how to change the batteries/reconnect to wifi. The person wanted me to re-start my router, then when I said I had multiple iPhones and iPads in the house that were on wifi just fine, the person sent me an obvious cut and paste about how multiple devices could interfere with the Aria....I have had this Aria and all the other gadgets for two years. All I want to do is get help re-connecting to the internet! As I said, after an hour of futility, we ended the session and I took out the battereis several times and stood on the scales at different times till finally it connected. I have no idea what I did right, and wish Fitbit would issue directions on how to change the batteries and reconnect to wifi. Everything says to go thru the whole setup process as a new Aria, naming the unit again, imputting your family members iniatials again yada yada, when you DO NOT have to do that. I am sure since that is what ALL  Fitbit's literalture says, is why the chat agent went down that yellow brick road. Please Fitbit, a new manual, including changing the batteries AFTER you have set it up the first time

Best Answer

Folks. I just read your posts, sighed, changed all four batteries, put the scale down, and it worked immediately. Perhaps you have to change the batteries when they are low, and not when they are dead?

Fitbit SHOULD have a section on changing batteries though, no doubt.

G

Best Answer

Thank you for stopping by our Community @croucherg. I appreciate you posting this, hopefully your suggestion helps other users. 

Thank you for your contribution as well, I will make sure to forward it to our team members so they can take this in consideration.

Have a great weekend! Robot Happy

Best Answer

Took the advice to replace the batteries while they were still not dead... weak, but not dead and everything worked fine.

Best Answer

It's nice to have you here @cbromer. I'm glad that your Aria is now working properly. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

Have a great week! Robot Happy

Best Answer

I really must reply to this post... I have had my Aria scales for several years!  When I first purchased it and originally set it up, I inserted "Longlife" batteries, and they have lasted for years... Well worth the investment.

However, all good things come to an end & my Aria gave me messages that the batteries had finally come close to the end of their teather... I bit the bullet and started researching the Fitbit site on How To Change The Aria Batteries... there is little help Smiley Frustrated

I purchased new "Longlife" batteries, turned the Aria over & replaced the batteries, one by one.

I turned the Aria back over & placed it on the bathroom floor. I stepped back on and the scales worked instantly, first time, no difficulties at all!

This was a no-brainer... never an issue... worked first time!

Thank you Fitbit... but please put simple instructions on changing the Aria batteries up in the self help area of your website... it would have saved me some time researching.

Haych_Bee

Heart

Heather
Best Answer

@Haych_Bee Thanks for joining us and welcome to our Fitbit Community! I'm so glad to hear that you have been enjoying your Aria scale during these years. However, I appreciate your feedback regarding the instructions to replace the batteries. This will be passed forward to our engineering team for consideration since this helps us to keep improving our products and services.

Don't hesitate to get back if more help is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

That's a good workaround suggestion to change the batteries before they are dead. I've never had another appliance in my life where you have to do that though. There still should be improvements done by Fitbit to solve this problem.

Best Answer

I tried the suggestion to replace the batteries before they were dead then immediately step on the scale.  It worked!!  Thanks

Best Answer

@injun2 Thanks for getting back to us! Your feedback is appreciated as well and it will be forwarded to our higher levels. In case you still have problems with your Aria scale, let me know.

@ketaran Thanks for joining us! I'm so glad to hear that your Aria scale worked properly after you replaced the batteries. Thanks for keeping the update here.

Let me know if more questions arise my friends! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

Changed mine - weak, not dead. Connected fine. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Have thrown away my Fitbit scale… will never buy anything from fitbit … ever again!

No need to respond

PS: Thanks for giving me a great example that I can use when training people … on how poor quality compounded by poor customer service can eliminate customers…

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
C,

Heck of an attitude for a trainer. Wow. I've had all my fitbit stuff since
Feb 2014 (nearly 3 years) and have not had a problem with battery changing,
instructions on line etc.

Guess there is always an outlier. Good luck finding an easier scale with
such feedback.

G
Best Answer
0 Votes
You need to read ALL the feedback
Best Answer

Okay, thanks, but I must be missing something. Worry pas.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I notice that my batteries were half full and went to the forum to see whether there was a discussion on changing batteries. First point of changing before they expire was excellent. Changing batteries near my computer, it took about 20 seconds to change, set on hard surface, wait for Aria to re-establish wifi, sync, and it was done. Thanks for the couple of comments that confirmed that I should change the batteries while Aria was still operating, bring close to my computer and sync.

Best Answer
0 Votes