Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing batteries on Aria is a difficult task

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I love my Aria, don't get me wrong. But WHY should changing batteries be such a complete pain in the a**? What should be a simple user task requires the whole charade of trying to reconnect to the network, which usually means going to the website on another device to figure out how to do it, it usually takes me about 15 minutes all up. Changing the actual batteries takes 10 seconds. It's not trivial. It is a very poor user experience that surely must have a simpler solution.

Moderator edit: Updated subject for clarity.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

Just received message that Aria batteries are low.  Worried for a few days that this was going to be a long drawn out process.  After reading this conversation, decided to go ahead and replace batteries before they went dead.  Replaced the batteries, stepped on the scale, no problems.  Works just like it did the 30 seconds ago before I replaced the batteries.  SO - replace your batteries as soon as you get the message to do so!  Worked flawlessly. 🙂

Best Answer

Absolutely a Pita. Detest it. It's ridiculous. It needs to at the very least, retain who I am or even might be. 

Best Answer

As the OP I get email notifications to updates in this thread. Its over 3 years since I posted, and the responses are either in agreement with me (changing batteries in the Aria is a PITA) , or suggesting that the batteries be changed before they are actually flat, which is a kludge. Interestingly FitBit have done nothing at all to rectify this. Nothing. It goes along with the low regard they seem to have for what their users want.

- Changing the batteries in the Aria requires a long rigaramole of reconnecting which is a poor user experience - response from FitBit: silence

- Gee it would be great if FitBit acknowledged the presence of Apple for those of us who have invested both in FitBit devices and iPhones - response from FitBit: We will not allow FitBit to integrate with Apple Health app

I have already ditched my FitBit devices for AppleWatch, which incidentally is a lot harder to lose and with build quality that FitBit can only dream of. When my Aria dies I will replace it with a Withings. 

Best Answer

Ok.  I ignored the Fitbit warnings about the low batteries for awhile because changing them in the past has been such a pain. But I finally bit the bullet and changed the batteries -- fortunately before they were completely dead -- and the Aria immediately picked right up where it left off. What a relief. No more figuring out how to reconnect to the wi-fi. Thank you Fitbit for sending the low-battery warnings -- several times!

Best Answer

Hi All
I had the low battery indicator for while, I decided to change the batteries this morning.  When I first changed them, the scales worked but it didn't recognise me i.e.wasn't pairing.  I tried a 2nd time but making sure my scales and my MacBook (which I was using for setup) were next to the modem, I removed a battery for 10 secs.  Aria then displayed the current wifi connection and asked to tap if I wanted to change it.  I didn't tap, waited for the message to stop.  Then, stepped on the scales.  Aria had paired again without painful setup.  Hurray!!!  So, the trick is to change the batteries next to your modem.

Best Answer

Bye. See ya. Salut. Enjoy Apple. Ciao. 

Best Answer

I changed my batteries as soon as it said it was LOW... You prob have a better scale and not the lemon the rest of us are complaining about.

Best Answer

Changing the batteries when they are low instead of dead does not change anything.  I just changed my batteries, (when I got the 1st notification that they were low), and it did not reconnect to my wifi.  That is why I am on here, to find out how to reconnect without starting over as if I never set it up. 

I changed the batteries, the scale came on and went into setup mode, I stepped on it, it gave me my weight and BM and came up with the user names to choose from, I made the choice; it did everything it is supposed to except connect to the wifi.

I got it to work.  I just needed to step on it BEFORE it went into active setup mode.  When I first put the new batteries in, turned it over and placed it on a hard surface the name of my network showed on the display, but the first few times I didn't stand on it until it said it was in active setup mode.  Those times, it did not connect to my network.  Then I took the batteries out and put them back in again. Turned it over, placed it on a hard surface, and stood on it, this time after giving me my weight and BM readings and me choosing which user I was, it did connect to my wifi and sync.

All is good now.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I've just changed mine for at least the third or fourth time. This time I went out and got the super batteries so it will hopefully be a long time before I have to go through setup again.

I agree that this is a very poorly designed process. It's almost like they didn't think about that at all. It does not help to change the batteries when they are low, still have to go through full setup at least three times. Take the batteries out one by one. Nope, still have to go through setup at least three times. I am right next to the router, which manages to reach the entire house for all other products and once it's set up, the scale can reach it from 20 feet away, no problem. Why this can remember all settings and everything else, but forgets the wifi each time is bad programming.

I like the scale, but I doubt I would buy another one. Paid a lot for this and when I get the low battery notice, I just cringe. It does no good to complain as the problem is never solved. Plus it's out of warranty now and the reviews are more and more one star. Not good for the brand name.

Best Answer

You MUST be missing a step. I have done it three times, and numerous others above have had no issue. Sounds like you are moving on regardless. C'est dommage.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I replaced my Aria's empty batteries and wasn't sure what if anything I needed to do next. The only message that scrolled on the Aria was my wifi name and  "Tap if you want to change wifi".  So I came to the forums here and read your message with the "step off" tip. A light bulb went off in my head and I set the Aria in the ground and stepped on.…showed my weight etc and icon for uploading. In the Fitbit app. It took a few minutes for Aria to change from empty to full status.

Although it's quite possible that others might have a different message or sequence, this was deceptively straight forward for me. Thank you 😊  

Best Answer

I read what you said about making sure to be near the router.  I brought it to within 2' of the router.  Still didn't work. Not happy. My Aria hasn't been syncing since before August. Maybe longer.  I just replaced the batteries and went through the process to hopefully get it connected again. No go- unhappy with having to enter manually.  It shows up on the app. It shows the users.  It doesn't recognize the user when stepping on the scale and won't send the info to the app once it's manually selected by step. 

My surge wont sync to send my text messages to my watch either.  They both worked in the beginning. 

Not a happy fitbit'r.

I read what you said about making sure to be near the router. I brought it to within 2' of the router. Still didn't work. Not happy. My Aria hasn't been syncing since before August. Maybe longer. I just replaced the batteries and went through the process to hopefully get it connected again. No go- unhappy with having to enter manually. It shows up on the app. It shows the users. It doesn't recognize the user when stepping on the scale and won't send the info to the app once it's manually selected by step.

My surge wont sync to send my text messages to my watch either. They both worked in the beginning.

Not a happy fitbit'r.

Word!

I agree 

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes

You're kidding me right?  How bout the company fixes the fng problem. It's 2 years later and still multiple posts on this. Completely unacceptable. My scale is bricked. Again.

Best Answer

You are correct. Just because I don't have problems doesn't mean you don't.

You're correct: Just because I don't have problems doesn't mean you don't. I stand corrected. Sorry I tried to help; it won't happen again. 

@staceytilbury wrote:

Here's a newsflash. Just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean they don't exist 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sounds sensible except how do you tell when the batteries are "weak but not dead".  I could change them every fortnight but that would clearly be too often. Is there a way of assessing battery strength?

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can check your fitbit account. If you added the scale, it should be on there and the battery level indicated, so long as the scale is on wifi. It does not indicate on the scale until they are almost dead.

Best Answer
0 Votes

So, in my opinion, all Fitbit needs to do is tell customers to replace 1 battery at a time- to clarify, take out one of the batteries, put in a replacement. Then the next- so on... there are only 4 batteries and I just replaced mine in ten seconds.

No having to contact support, no re-connecting wo-fi...

WHY CAN'T you just tell ppl to do it this way, Fitbit?

There is literally nothing easier...

Best Answer
Yes, thank you! I agree. They should let us know about that.
Best Answer

Here we are over a year later and there still AREN"T any instructions on the Fitbit site. I had to do way more searching than expected, just to find this posting.

Best Answer

I like how you disregard the real issues without answers and pick and choose what to respond on.  I have seen no help from you yet and i am going through the same thing... Have to everytime the batteries die

Best Answer