Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity difficulties between Aria and Comcast/Xfinity routers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone! It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Thank you all for your patience. Any update available, I'll make sure to share it in this thread.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
607 REPLIES 607

My current status: 5 days ago I managed, with help from various posts here, to get my scale reconnected to my Comcast router. This morning, I weighed myself ... and no connection. I didn't have time then, so just now I went through the steps to reconnect again. It took 2 or 3 tries, 15 or 20 minutes, but it did work: my weight synced to Fitbit (several pounds more than what it was at the beginning of the day!).

Here's what I think: any little glitch in the network--not a power outage necessarily, but the router just dropping the network for a few seconds, which happens a lot--will disconnect the scale, and it will not be able to reconnect by itself. I've got a thermostat that can do better. So I expect to have to go through the setup process every time I want to weigh. Do I get up 20 minutes earlier just to do this first thing in the morning?

I think what we have here is dueling incompetences: Fitbit decided to use a legacy WiFi standard, 802.11b; and Comcast can't make a router that reliably provides an 802.11b 2.4GHz network. I'm definitely not going to change ISPs to get a Fitbit scale to work. Maybe just get a new router? But even if that fixes the problem, the first unannounced firmware upgrade is liable to recreate it.

So, maybe time to either manage my fitness without a digital device (I hear rumors that people actually are able to do this), or find better digital equipment. In any case, the value I'm getting from Fitbit continues to shrink.

Neighborhood walker
Best Answer

Yes. I noticed they are even still on Amazon. We have them as an incentive on a health program. Still at a huge cost. They should, at least, be pulled as recalls. Except, that probably implies replacement. We know that's not happening.

Best Answer
For $30 check out Amazon -- look for Renpho bluetooth scale - the info it
has provided far surpasses what my Fitbit Aria did when it used to work.
I'm glad my Aria stopped working at this point, much happier with the
Renpho
Best Answer
Yes! I got Renpho as well.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

This still does not work as a solution!!!

Best Answer

Once again this morning some network glitch (I assume) disconnected the scale from my WiFi, so I'm giving up. I'll keep using it a couple times a week, and enter weights in Fitbit manually. I'd rather do that than shell out for a different scale and then be tracking weight in one app and activity in another.

There are threads about this on the Comcast help forums too (e.g., here and here). This is guesswork as much as knowledge on my part, but I think that:

• Comcast pushed some change out to their home routers a few months ago that made them incompatible with the Aria without frequent reconnections.
  • The incompatibility also has to do with the Aria being designed with a WiFi technology that may have been outdated already when they were sold.
  • There probably isn't anything Fitbit can do to fix this, short of recalling the Arias and replacing the radios, which of course they're not going to do; I don't know if these devices are even capable of getting something like a firmware update that would fix it.
Neighborhood walker
Best Answer
0 Votes

Exactly!  How can Fitbit allow vendors to be selling these units knowing they have such a serious problem.  Those units are under warranty!  If the new buyers waste enough time with earnest attempts with Fitbit and Comcast, their return window will expire!

The unbought Aria units need to be pulled from the selves!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer
Thank you!

Sent from iPhone
Best Answer

This didn't fix the sync issue

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello guys! Your feedback and comments are sent to our team since they're actively reviewing this issue and expect to have a solution. Please keep an eye on this thread when an update is posted.

Thank you all for your patience with this!

Best Answer

"When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save."

Hate to tell you, on the latest Comcast/Xfinity modem/router, there is no option for the 802.11b protocol. It's gone gang!

These modem/routers no longer support the 802.11b protocol. Without this protocol (cheap crap used in the manufacture of this scale), you might as well have purchased a $10 scale at the "Walmart".

(Oh, and Fitbit has been aware of this issue for a long time)

Best Answer
Yep. They keep giving out the same outdated instructions.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I would have a tendency to agree with that. It's one thing to make a mistake and have a problem product, but to knowingly continue to produce and sell that product indicates total moral turpitude.

I personally, will never purchase another Fitbit product.

Best Answer

@Timberwolf620 @techgirl233 I know that hearing the same instructions is tedious. However, our team are actively reviewing this issue and will post an update when a solution is released.

Thank you for your patience!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd like a refund!

Best Answer

It’s more than tedious.  At this point, patronizing, insulting and infuriating.  The same instructions?  Everyone on this thread is telling you they don’t work.

You know they don't work!

Stop posting the same litany! Do something for the customers that have spent much on products that have been broken form months!

Moderator edit: format

Best Answer

I don't either.  Sooo frustrating...

Best Answer
Thank you!

Sent from iPhone
Best Answer

I know. They've been "actively" working on it since at least October of 2017. My scales last wireless link was September 24, 2017. Since that time I've spent literally hours on the phone with tech support going through all of the setup procedures to no avail. This is time I will obviously never get back, totally wasted; all the while (I suspect) Fitbit new exactly what the problem was but continued to waste customer's time. What's the line "Don't call us, we'll call you." just as soon as a solutions been found. 

I'm sure the numbers have been crunched and it’s been determined that the least cost approach is to write-off the customers who’s networks no longer support wireless 802.11b rather than face the expense of fixing a physical defect in the Aria scale.

Best Answer
Exactly!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer