Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connectivity difficulties between Aria and Comcast/Xfinity routers

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi everyone! It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Thank you all for your patience. Any update available, I'll make sure to share it in this thread.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
607 REPLIES 607

Swapping out the router was one of the first things I tried when the prescribed litany failed.  Then I bought a new Aria.  Still no working network connection.

It’s not a reliable or consistant scale.  I can stand on it, multiple times, without changing anything.  My weight can vary +/- 2 pounds!  The network connectivity is really it’s main function!

A new router should be backward compatible.  Even still, the router doesn’t work with the older settings.

What is Fitbit’s official position on this problem?  

Does Fitbit think that months of downtime are acceptable?  

Does the leadership, at Fitbit, know the severity and extent of this ongoing issue?

Would the people who work at Fitbit accept this level or performance from the companies that sell them their personal electronics and appliances?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

@drmeiswinkel wrote:

Swapping out the router was one of the first things I tried when the prescribed litany failed.  Then I bought a new Aria.  Still no working network connection.

It’s not a reliable or consistant scale.  I can stand on it, multiple times, without changing anything.  My weight can vary +/- 2 pounds!  The network connectivity is really it’s main function!

i understand completely.  my charge 2 died after 18 months and the scale is probably going out the window soon enough.  personally fitbit in my opinion is going to piss off enough people to be a problem.  i thinks as all my tech items die the death i'll start to revert back to non tech ways of living life.  the amount of work and resources it takes to stay current is making me less apt to bother with it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've decided to give up fixing this since nothing works. I will not be buying your scales anymore.  I have had this issue for 4 months now.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm finding that every time we have a power outage (surprisingly often in metro Atlanta) and the Comcast WiFi router goes out, the Aria scale is unable to reconnect to the network automatically once it comes back on. I have to make the reconnection manually.

The advice at the top of this thread to go to https://internet.xfinity.com/more is wrong; evidently Comcast doesn't use that page for this purpose anymore. Instead, following a similar procedure to dadsafrantic's post, go to https://internet.xfinity.com/networkthen Advanced Settings, then 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, then Edit 2.4 GHz. I think the deal there is to change 802.11 g/n to 802.11 b/g/n--in other words, the scale uses an older 802.11b connection, and your router needs to be configured accordingly. (But, like dadsafrantic, I'm guessing; he's a chef, I'm a humanities professor.)

If you are techy enough, you can open your router's administration page in your browser at http://10.0.0.1/, log in, and then go to Connection > Wi-Fi > and choose EDIT for the 2.4 GHz network. Check the Mode setting to be sure it's set on 802.11 b/g/n, not just 802.11 g/n.

Either of these procedures should hopefully get the scale and router able to talk to each other. But then you'll still have to go through the crazy setup procedure to get the scale to actually connect and communicate.... Continued in my next post.

Neighborhood walker
Best Answer
0 Votes

I can’t speak to everyone else’s process.  I have gone in to the router and made the 2.4 settings changes. I have not been able to get my Aria, or the replacement Aria, to connect on the router. Nor have I had success with a replacement router.

Best Answer
0 Votes

.... But then you'll still have to go through the crazy setup procedure to get the scale to actually connect and communicate. That procedure, in all its unworkable forms, has completely failed for me this time, although (and I have no idea how) it has worked before.

I tried both the Web-based setup, on my phone and on a WiFi-connected laptop, several times each. The complex and clunky steps apparently have to be done with great precision and at top speed, and I could not get it to work.

I tried downloading their special software and using it. This was at least easier, since the software goes through the clunky steps on its own. But the result was still the same: at the end, the scale displays WIFI ERR. If I start over, the result is the same.

I am retracting the grumpy outrage in the following paragraph (though in fact everything in it is true). I have finally gotten my scale set up, through following the instructions of @prncssgeek in this post. It is as she (and @dadsafrantic) said: even if your router is set to 802.11 b/g/n already, you have to set it to 802.11 g/n, and then back to 802.11 b/g/n. Something about how Comcast's routers are not displaying their settings accurately. I did that, then used the Web-based setup on my phone, and it worked.

So my scale is a brick. It seems to be fairly accurate as a scale. If I stay with Fitbit I can enter my weight manually. But really, why would I do that? The tracker does at least track my walks accurately on my Android phone these days (unless I pause the walk, then it doesn't register at all). But you know what? I can keep track of when I walk and how long by myself, and if I feel compelled to have a list of how long I was on my workout machine I can do that myself. The only thing Fitbit can tell me that I can't track by numerous other, simpler means is how many steps I take each day. And you know what? Who cares?

Neighborhood walker
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I actually went through all your steps, adding a reset of the router first for insurance.

Still. Nothing.

Can't believe they are gonna let bazillions of Aria owners chuck them. Maybe they are working on a fix . . .

Best Answer

@Neetsie, see my edits to my previous post. Thanks to a post from back in February, I did get it set up. I would suggest that even after you reset your router, you may still have to set the 2.4 GHz network to 802.11 g/n, and then back to 802.11 b/g/n. If you haven't found more productive ways to use your time, it could be worth a try.

Neighborhood walker
Best Answer
0 Votes

aria 1 WIFI sync error, I was able to fix it by doing the following:

Hi everyone! It has come to our attention that some users are experiencing issues with syncing/setting up Aria scales with Comcast/Xfinity routers and we are currently reviewing. 

There is a workaround that has helped most users. For this, follow the instructions below:

• Once logged in,  visit https://internet.xfinity.com/more
  • Edit wifi settings under "Additional Settings"
  • Click on 2.4 frequency edit button.
  • Select g/n, hit save.
  • When the screen refreshes, click edit again, select b/g/n and hit save. 
  • Stand on scale
  • Continue with the regular setup process

Thank you all for your patience. Any update available, I'll make sure to share it in this thread.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Except that I find that https://internet.xfinity.com/more doesn't have any setup links. What I found that worked is https://internet.xfinity.com/network, then Advanced Settings, then 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi, then Edit 2.4 GHz.

Neighborhood walker
Best Answer

Mine is up for grabs is any of you want it.  I am in the SF Bay area.

Without network, it’s not the besr or most consistent reading.  But, right now, it’s free if one of you want it.

I have spent so much on this product and really can’t bring myself to throwing it out yet.  I know I can’t rely on Fitbit products for my needs after this experience.  But, my thrift wants someone to want it.  I am even thinking there must be components in it I can salvage.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Still NOTHING!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@drmeiswinkel wrote:

Mine is up for grabs is any of you want it.  I am in the SF Bay area.

Without network, it’s not the besr or most consistent reading.  But, right now, it’s free if one of you want it.

I have spent so much on this product and really can’t bring myself to throwing it out yet.  I know I can’t rely on Fitbit products for my needs after this experience.  But, my thrift wants someone to want it.  I am even thinking there must be components in it I can salvage.  

i appreciate the offer.  at the moment i'm only accepting cash.  Smiley Wink

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone! I definitely understand your frustration. Once a solution is available, we'll make sure to post it in this thread. I really appreciate your feedback and patience.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JuanJoFitbit It has been a long time for all of us waiting for a fix.

It seems more and more that Fitbit is not able to fix the issue, do you have any plan taking back the scales and have them upgraded to something compatible with routers around?

Sylvain

Best Answer

Thank you so much for posting this!! We recently moved and didn’t have xfinity at our last place and I was getting so frustrated but this worked! 

Best Answer

I am not selling mine.  I am giving it away to anyone in the SF Bay area willing to come and get it.  No money required.

I can’t feel right about selling something like this that doesn’t work.  Its value, without WIFi is no different than a $12 scale from Walmart.  Used, just has no salvage value to me.

email me at drmeiswinkel@gmail.com if you want it.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I tried and tried and it still will not connect to Xfinity network. Computer connects to scale and to Wifi network but scale never goes out of setup mode.
Best Answer

I agree!

Best Answer

It is very reasonable to expect Fitbit to fix this.

I ordered a replacement.  It had the same issues.  This strongly implies new customers, buying the original Aria, may have the same difficulties.

Best Answer
0 Votes