Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293

I do have a tablet, it is a Surface Pro...and my phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4.  I have to make my phone into a wifi hotspot to run my Surface Pro.  

If I can by some miracle get the scale to set up using my phone as my router, will I have to re-do everything every time I leave the house with my phone or will it remain setup, just not connected until I get back into range?  

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @123098 , no, it should remain all set up .  I'd be interested if you manage it!  It really should be possible (as long as your phone can do what is required -- have you checked?  You will need to google the full specs.  Then if your phone ought to be able to act as a compatible router, just turn on the hotspot and then run the set up program on your Surface (and I confirm already that there are some issues with the program on the Surface -- you can't see the whole screen...)

Let us lnow how it goes.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

Spent whole evening without luck. Tried enabling B-only, disabling security completely, using all methods etc. Returning it tomorrow. All these problems could've been solved by having a single developer dedicated to it.

Best Answer

i recieved my aria scales yesterday to use along side my flex, i manage to put in my wifi password and the when the scales read joining wifi, and on my phone screen the icons are my phone syncing to the scales, the only message i get on the scales is WIfi error, and then it flashes back to wifi setup.....ive been trying most of the day now, i have reset the router the scales.....but still no joy 😞 any help please or i might just send them back

Best Answer
0 Votes

Make sure:

1) Your router supports wi-fi B. You may have to switch it on in its web interface of switch it from G+N to B+G+N. Maybe if it is a new model, it has two antennas. That way you should set one to B and others to N and make sure the channel number for B is less than one for N.

2) The secutiy settings is AES+TKIP. It didn't work with only one of them for some people.

If it doesn't work, send it back, you're not the first one, it's their problems.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Interesting bit about setting the channel for B to a lower number than N - I should try that.

Best Answer
0 Votes

i have no idea what none of that means!

i wouldnt have a clue where to start..

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

You only need to have it connected to your wifi-setup (router), it then sends the data to the fitbit server. A computer or smartphone is not needed. For the initial setup try it again (pull out a battery and reinsert), turn off your smartphone and connect to your wifi network.

Aria, Charge 5, and Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (Android One) user.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@jfe , you definitely do need a computer or a smartphone to set up the scale. @loulou1981 , your wifi router needs to be able to support a particular set up (protocol) which is now a little old fashioned, so wifi settings might need to be changed on your router. If you post here any details you have about your wifi router (brand, model number, etc) someone in the Community may be able to give you advice on how to set it so it can "talk" to your Aria.

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

How come you are always down for maintenance when i have the question.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Our DSL speed was just upgraded five days ago.  I  have spent hours trying to connect my Aria which had been working with the slower speed.  I am not computer savy so I assumed that I was doing something wrong.  I called support this morning and was told to contact my DSL provider and request to change the protocol from 802.11n to 802.11b.  I called Fairpoint and requested this but asked if it would change our new faster internet service.  I was told that it would so I did not go ahead with it.  I called Fitbit support again and was told that the Aria scale will not work with our new router and faster speed.  It is an older technology and is not compatible.  This is crazy!  I am planning on returning the scale as my old scale with no internet connection will do the exact same thing as the expensive  new Aria with no internet connection.

Best Answer

I have comcast. so did what someone said and went to my router to change it to 802.11 b/g/n still get error message on aria

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think the best thing to do is log on and go the settings (the icon that looks like a gear cog) Just play around on that tab. It has all the adjustments there.

Moderator edit: personal info removed

Best Answer
0 Votes

"your router is not properly configured to use the 802.11b standard"

How do I verify and/or change this? Using Windows 10.

Wouldn't it have solved all of these setup problems if Fitbit had used bluetooth to connect to the computer as it does with the tracker?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes
Review make model specs of router - Google it.
Best Answer
0 Votes

The question "how do I set my router to 802.11b" with a modern router is analogous to having to ask "how do I hook up my draft horses to my new car?"

Best Answer

My son who works in IT for an international company was able to set up my Aria with my  old computer a couple of days after I posted my complaint.  It took him awhile (usually he can solve my computer issues in under 30 seconds)  and involved a lot of muttering about the poor Aria technology but he was able to do it and it has worked ever since.  Unfortunately I could not begin to tell you what he did or I would have posted some hints.

Best Answer
Aria would be wise to spend some of their millions on a computer programmer who does not have ADD or OCD or whatever other paranoid emotional disorder he/she has that makes them put together such a convoluted program that only God almighty understands.
Best Answer
0 Votes

I spent forty minutes with customer service. When the battery is replaced and the Wi-fi is recognized, the window says 'TAP TO CHANGE.'  It really means 'SLAP..'

When inserteing the battery, quickly place device on firm surface (table or floor).

SLAP the two back panels, those away from the window, before the message is complete.

Then briefly change your wi-fi to Ariaxxxxxx to complete setup, going back and forth to the Settings and setup windows. When done, change wif- back to home station.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to see you around @Zartoff @erod10379 @thomn8r @March5 @cheri123 @rrules06, hope you're doing great today Woman Very Happy

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your Aria. I'd recommend following the steps that my friend @AaronPlant shares here to see if they work for you as well. 

FYI, You will need to repeat the setup process to reconnect the Aria to your wireless network if you've made any changes to your network, such as changing the network name, password, router, or internet service provider, 

You can do this by proceeding through either of the setup methods detailed here or by watching the video this video

When you reach the step that asks you to place the scale in "SETUP ACTIVE" mode, please follow the steps below: 

1. Remove a battery from the scale, and wait at least ten seconds before reinserting it. 
2. Your scale should briefly show your previous network name, and will then display "TAP TO CHANGE." 
3. When you see the word "TAP" appear on the display, press down firmly and briefly on the scale's two bottom corners. 
4. Your scale's display should go blank for a moment, then read "SETUP ACTIVE." 
5. At this point you may continue with the on-screen instructions to set up your scale with your new network. 

If the scale's display goes blank or shows weight measurement information during these steps, you will need to remove a battery and return to Step 3 to try again. Once the scale reads “Setup Active,” you can proceed through the rest of Aria setup as normal

Keep me posted! 

Maria | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Was my post helpful? Give it a thumbs up to show your appreciation! Of course, if this was the answer you were looking for, don't forget to make it the Best Answer! Als...

Best Answer