Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293
We are a community.

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Droid
Best Answer
0 Votes

After multiple attempts and nearly throwing the aria out the window I read that if the network name uses special characters that the aria wont like it, and that I should rename my network removing the offending characters. Well, NO! My home security system is happily connected to the wifi under that name and there is no chance that I am renaming it. Before I do give my aria away and go back to go ole analogue any internet buffs out there they could suggest how I might set up aria's own internet network that piggy backs my current one?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not sure, but if you add another wireless router to your network, it can have a separate name. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I had set up my Aria before when I had a different Wifi name.  Now when I take out a battery, it tells me that the Wifi is the old one and then to tap to change.  I TAP CONSTANTLY  but nothing!  now what????????

Best Answer
0 Votes

Go to fitbit scale setup and follow the steps, www.fitbit.com/scale/setup/start. Also.....I'm not sure if this will help with your issue, but it's worth mentioning. I received this advice from another fitbit member. I have the Aria, also, not the Aria 2. I have a new wifi network  and I couldn't get my Aria to connect. My wifi has the option of 5G or 2G and I was using 5G. The Aria would not connect using 5G. It was recommended that I switch to 2G. When I switched, it connected immediately.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have followed all the steps and troubleshooting from THREE different addresses (I travel and have tried from two hotels and my home) and have met with same level of failure. I am VERY frustrated and since I am beyond the 30 days, cannot get my money back. What is most disappointing is you have known for at least 3 years of these issues and failed to fix.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Waltebe,

To be fair to Fitbit it's perhaps not surprising you struggle on hotel wi-fi as they are often not straightforward internet gateways (rather you often have stupid login stuff to get through first, which, of course, the Aria can't do. Even if this kind of mechanism isn't in place, they often only have ports 80 & 8080 open. (I confess I don't know what Aria uses.)

As for your home connection, just double check your wireless access point is allowing all Wi-Fi protocols - as noted above this must be 2.4Ghz and must also be set to 'mixed' (11b+11g+11n). Aria uses the old 11b protocol as it draws less power.... (Of course, this *could* be the issue in hotels too though I doubt it....)

CarliLB,

Most routers allow one to have two WiFi connections along side one another usually referred to as SSIDs. If renaming everything is unpalatable that could be a quick solution. Note the reason for this behaviour is Aria uses an older WiFi protocol that draws less power which is obviously preferable in this instance.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
To be fair, I did check with the internet provider and no - this is not the
issue at current hotel or my home. I have set up numerous apps and none
with this difficulty.
Count up the frustrated posts from your consumers over the past few years
and FIX your issue!
Best Answer
0 Votes
  • The internet provider would have no view of whether this was the issue or not.
  • The scales are not an app, they are a piece of hardware.
  • The posts are not from my customers, I am not employed by Fitbit, just another Fitbit user. I only replied to try to be helpful. I wish I hadn't bothered.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Waltebe@TEX-Wayne@CarliLB

Does this help at all? I hope so!

This is the response that fitbit gave me, to correct this problem. If you email them, be sure and attach your fitbit scale setup log, so they can read where you're specific problem is. The community forum and fitbit email support has been very helpful. Good luck!!!

-If you're still having issues setting up your Aria, we'd like to let you know that we've noticed that the error you are encountering indicates that the scale has been unable to communicate with your router. The most common reasons for this are:

- The network password has been entered incorrectly
- The router's configuration is not properly configured to allow for connection with the Aria

If you haven't done so, please verify that your router's password is correct, and that your router has these requirements:

- Wireless 802.11b (Note: most routers are capable of 802.11b, but not necessarily configured this way). We recommend contacting your internet service provider to make this change
- WEP/WPA/WPA2 personal security
- Automatic (DHCP) IP setup (static IP configuration not supported)

Due to the new WiFi, you'll need to repeat the setup process to reconnect the Aria to your wireless network. After you've confirmed your router is properly configured, please set up your scale by proceeding through either of the setup methods detailed at:
Set up video at https://www.youtube.com/embed/D7Q5FvHHPJo
Set up instructions http://bit.ly/aria_setup
When you reach the step that asks you to place the scale in ""SETUP ACTIVE"" mode, please follow the steps below:

1. Remove a battery from the scale, and wait at least ten seconds before reinserting it
2. Your scale should briefly show your previous network name, and will then display ""TAP TO CHANGE""
3. When you see the word ""TAP"" appear on the display, press down firmly and briefly on the scale's two bottom corners. (Please note that the scale's sensors are located in the lower two corners of the scale, and if you gets a weight or the display turns off, that means that you pressed too late or too long)

4. Your scale's display should go blank for a moment, then read ""SETUP ACTIVE""
5. At this point you may continue with the on-screen instructions to set up your scale with your new network

If the scale's display goes blank or shows weight measurement information during these steps, you will need to remove a battery and return to Step 3 to try again. Once the scale reads “Setup Active,” you can proceed through the rest of Aria setup as normal.

If after the above you're unable to connect your Aria, please let us know if your router is already configured with the correct protocol and please provide a photo of your Fitbit Aria's model and serial number located in the battery compartment.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My apologies if I sounded snarky. In my frustration, I took your help the wrong way.

Just very frustrated, it’s a scale for Pete’s sake. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Long-story-short: the Aria scale is antiquated garbage.  It would have been borderline usable 10 years ago when the technology was current, but now the only way to get it to work is turn down the security of your router, and there is a reason the protocols have matured.  

It's like getting a shiny new phone, but the only way to get it to work is to leave the front door of your house open all the time - even when you're not home.

If you are still able to do so, get a refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I solved the problem with the Aria balance (model 1, not model 2)

Just to explain, everything worked flawlessly  with a old router linksys wrt-54GL ( a,b,g wifi )

It even worked with special characters in the password

When I changed the router in spring (2017) with a Netgear 7800 (with N and 5GHz option), the Aria balance stopped working.

Any attempt of changing channels, password characters, network name,.... failed

During Xmas, I digged in the underground the old wrt-54gl, I set it up again (as a specific router for the Aria balance) and..... everything worked again.

So, my conclusions are that the "old" Aria (don't know anything about Aria2) has difficulties in working together with mother router that have both 5GHz and 2 GHz....

Find an OLD router (with just a,b,g wifi) and everything should work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Giuliano1969

I'm glad your Aria is connected. My router has both 5G and 2G. I was able to solve my problem by switching to 2G to setup Aria (not Aria 2). When setup was complete, then I switched back to 5G..... everything works.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have the "Wifi Err" message and I tried to connect to the Aria with my phone.  My home computer is a desktop that is connected to an xfinity modem.  The number is 802.11n.  I cannot connect wirelessly from my desktop so what are my options?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, trying to setup adding multiple people to scale. I click on link in email to accept using aria and it go to app and nothing happens. I have already tried...restarting phone, uninstalling app, then restarting phone. I have signed out and in or wifi aria is contected to, nothing is working.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Aria scale (NOT Aria2) has difficulties in working together with N router (that have both 5GHz and 2 GHz.…) the scale was manufactured when router standard was A, B, G.

The N standard was NOT supported, and appears that EVEN if an N router has back compatibility with old standard a,b,g, this create issues with Aria scale.
To solve this problems the new Aria2 was produced.

Considering that time is money, you have to main solutions:

1) buy a new Aria2 scale

2) If you want to keep the old model, the easiest way is to find an OLD router with just a,b,g wifi (few bucks on ebay) and everything should work.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, you were completely unhelpful.  You did not answer my question. I had another aria at my house and it worked before. It is connected, I am talking about adding additional users to the device. Please help people in the future. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hmm I did not reply.

Sent from my iPhone 4078107757
Best Answer
0 Votes

Wow, you were completely unhelpful.  You did not answer my question. I had another aria at my house and it worked before. It is connected, I am talking about adding additional users to the device. Please help people in the future

Best Answer
0 Votes