Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293

Hi Matthew - Thank you for your input. The scale, lapop, phone and router were next to each other for the 2+ hours I tried set up the Aria. I know the steps by heart because I did them so many times. Chrome is 

Version 42.0.2311.135 m  (Google Chrome is up to date). Tried Internet Explorer twice - crashed both times trying to connect to Aria network. I saw the Aria network on my lists - laptop & phone. Nothing would connect to it. I tried web- based and phone setup repeatedly - it would not connect. Why do all of my devices and anyone else's devices connect smoothly to my Wifi & the Aria will not - even when right next to it? Why did the Fitbit setup go smooth as silk? Why have I never ever experienced frustrations like I did with Aria? I think I just answered the question - there has to be something with the Aria process or product. It may not be programmed for "average" people and systems to use? That's too bad too - it's a great concept.
Best Answer

@rrlangjr It sounds like you're referring to the fact that Aria utilizes the 802.11b standard to make its connection. This is defined by hardware, and not something that can be "fixed" without completely redesigning the scale. I understand that the most appealing scenario would be a change on Fitbit's side of things that magically allowed the Aria to work with your current network settings, but that isn't currently possible.

That being said, you are not alone in providing this feedback, and I will continue to let our team know that customers like you are interested in seeing this sort of update. You might vote or comment on this related feature Suggestion, which is the appropriate thread for that discussion.

@sandypdot It sounds like you've spent quite a bit of time working on this, and I'm really very sorry that it hasn't yet been successful. Setting up a Fitbit tracker is comparatively simple, since it's just using Bluetooth to "talk" with your computer or phone. Aria setup, on the other hand, involves using your mobile device to "introduce" Aria to the wireless router, so that they can communicate directly, without a computer being involved. That means that the process will vary depending on your unique wireless setup.

I'm hearing you say that it wasn't able to connect - does that mean you made it completely through the setup process and had it fail at the very end? If so, do you know what error message appeared on the scale's display? Knowing that bit of information is helpful in troubleshooting. I know you've spent a lot of time already, and I certainly understand if you feel like you're done trying. If you'd like to continue working on it, I'll be happy to assist.

Best Answer
I wanted to set up an Aria scale using my windows phone as a mobile wifi hotspot. Basically it is my router, and my computer and iPhone happily connect to it. I checked its wifi protocol and it is Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n, which I think means it ought to be compatible, however the set up fails at the last step and I get "joining wifi err" which I understand means either my password is wrong or has forbidden characters (not) or my router (=phone hotspot in this case is too far away -- not) or my router (= phone hotspot) doesn't support 802.11b (which I THINK not...) I am always telling people to get fitbit. I had a flex and have upgraded to Charge HR and bought the Aria and really want it to work. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to abandon my loyalty and buy the Withings? (I have to use phone hotspot because that's the only "router" I have.) Any help would be appreciated. Meanwhile scale is packed ready for return...

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes
Sorry, iPad ( not iPhone and computer) connect to my windows phone hotspot.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Julia_G While a wifi-hotspot can work for setting up your Aria, that definitely adds another layer of complexity to the process. We haven't done extensive testing on hotspots, but depending on the service carrier and plan configuration, it may not be possible to get your Aria connected that way. If you have a router available, that would definitely be the easier option. The error you mentioned usually indicates either a password mismatch, or a configuration issue. You might need to talk with your plan provider to make sure your device has the 802.11b standard enabled.

If you decide to go with a Withings scale instead, you can still connect that device to your Fitbit account.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@MatthewFitbit

As a frustrated consumer of the Aria scale myself, I completely understand some of these comments. I am a highly trained technical IT consultant and even I suffered for hours trying to setup the Aria scale. It is the most horrendous device I have ever used. And there is clear room for improvement so the process is less painful to consumers (without needing to change the product).

That said (@everyone else), Matthew's comment about trying to help and troubleshoot a problem is completely accurate. Without a clear understanding of what is going wrong (e.g steps in the process, errors etc) he is unable to help. Sadly too many consumers end up hear to vent because the product setup is difficult and the instructions don't make it easier.

Matthew is trying to assist. @sandypdot  If you provide the information he needs, I'm sure he can help solve the problem.

@rrlangjrI was also extremely frustrated by the process of the setup and truly Fitbit should have done more (and still should do more) to make the process clearer and easier. But it can be done and you don't need to open your wireless network.

Unfortunately, as Matthew mentioned, Fitbit used an old 802.11b wireless chip in the device, and it was obviously to save costs. But it probably backfired on them somewhat. Unfortunately this can't be changed without an upgrade to the hardware, which essentially means developing a new Aria scale. It can't be fixed through a software change.

My recomendation for everyone is to run the setup process on your smartphone or tablet (iphone, Android, Windows) using this guide:

http://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/I-can-t-get-my-Aria-set-up-from-my-computer?p=ari...

This was the easiest method and the only one that worked for me.

Note: You MUST HAVE the 802.11b protocol enabled on your wireless router that the scales will connect to before running the setup process. If you don't know how to enable 802.11b, contact the manufacturer of your wireless router for help. It should only be a two minute job to enable 802.11b once you know how.

Best Answer
“That said (@everyone else), Matthew's comment about trying to help and troubleshoot a problem is completely accurate"

That is why responsible companies do Beta testing.

It is irresponsible to sell a product to the public at full price and then expect those customers to solve your design problems.

I love my Fitbit and scales but the Aria is a disgrace.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, Matthew, thank you for your reply. My phone definitely works on Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n , which I believe is hardware related and nothing to do with my cellular contract (and, like many people in Europe I own my phone separately from my cellular provider, who just give me the SIM, not the phone...). So really it OUGHT to work, but it doesn't. Nothing from support, though I did email them -- but from what I have read here I wasn't expecting a useful answer (or any answer at all). But I did appreciate your taking the time to reply to me -- I was hoping you would, since I have read lots of good sense from you in the Fitbit Community, and I knew when you didn't have any solution other than contacting my provider, it was prbably never going to work. So. back it goes. Thank you for confirming that the Withings scale (much more expensive, but people do seem to be able to set it up, including with personal wifi hotspot) will work with the Fitbit app.

Best Answer

I do have a combination Comcast WiFi/Internet router, but it is not the model mentioned.  It is Model#TC8305C.  When attempting to set up the scale, after removing the battery as instructed, the scale gives the name of our home network for WiFi.  When clicking on the "I'm Connected" from the web site, it simply spins and does nothing.  Starting over, the scale gives the same network name, followed by the words "Tap to change."  After tapping as instructed and again activating the "I'm connected" message, it simply spins.  When initially attempting to set up the scale, it read "Oops, we cannot detect a wireless network," even though the scale gives the network.  I went to the alternate method using an IPhone and reinstalled the connect program with the same results.  All of this was necessitated by upgrading from a Flex to a ForceHR which is now operational.

Extremely frustrating and a great deterrent to using Fitbit devices.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@timfmake sure you have enabled 802.11b on your Comcast router.
It will be one of the wireless protocols.

I think this will likely be your problem as I had a singular issue
initially.

Sent from my mobile, sorry for brevity, typos and abbreviated text.

Best Answer
I have no idea what enabling 802.11b means or how to do it.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@timf
You'll need to login to your router.
If you don't know how to do this, refer to this page for help:
http://m.setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tc8305c/login.htm

Then hopefully this pic should help you access the right section of the
router menu:
http://m.setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tc8305c/general-40080-large.jpg

Note in the picture that it shows the Protocols are B G N. That means the
802.11b protocol is enabled, as well as 802.11g and 802.11n.
If your router does not show this, then you'll need to go into the Edit
option on that page and enable the B (802.11b) option.

It's annoying that users have to do this, but as a user of the aria scale
I'd say it's worth it. If you can get through the initial setup issues
with help on this forum, it's a breeze after that. I've never had to touch
mine again.

Just as a note, when you are setting it up, it prompts you to enter your
initials for each person that uses the scale. This is the name that
appears (to recognise yourself) on the scales when you step on them. They
use the term 'initials' because it's limited to three characters. But in
your case you could just make it Tim.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@julia01_g
I see no reason why this wouldn't work except I think to be able to do this, you'd need to setup the scales from another service that isn't the phone gateway.
That's because, for your phone to be the gateway it has to be enabled as an access point. But during the setup your phone has to connect to the aria's own internal access point to configure it. At the point your phone is no longer an access point and the scales won't be able to find it.
So, if you have another phone or tablet that you can use to run through the setup process (even a friends) that should make it work as long as your phone is enabled as the gateway.
Hope that helps.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, thanks, @thedriver, it ought to work, but it doesn't, and I don't know why! My phone was set as the router and I used my iPad to set up. No luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi @Julia_G, thank you for your efforts in trying to fix this issue. You can get in touch with customer support any time at http://contact.fitbit.com or by calling (877) 623-4997 between the hours of 4am-8pm PST Mon-Fri and 6am-5pm PST on weekends. I'm sure they will take good care of you.

Good luck!

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi, thanks, @Mcore, but I live in the UK and won't be using those numbers. I emailed customer support, but they have not answered and I have no expectations that they will have a fix, so I will be returning the scale, unfortunately.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I get as far as the scale reading "Setup Active," but no further as the
message of not recognizing the WiFi appears. If the only way to connect
is to change the router protocol, I am not going to do it and risk it
screwing up the IPhones, desktop and Internet speed.

Tim
Best Answer

@Julia_G Thank you for the update, I'm sure customer support will reply very soon, however, I appreciate your honesty.

If you have any other questions, comments or just want to contribute in one of the Discussions boards, feel free to do so.

Have a great day! Smiley Happy

Melissa | Community Moderator, Fitbit

How are you fitbitting with your (pet) best friend? Show us!

Best Answer
0 Votes
@thedriver -- a last thought before it goes back... My phone is my only connection to the internet. You are not suggesting I need, temporarily a separate connection, are you? Just double checking I understand your suggestion. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for the attempts to help, but I am through spending time on this
issue. I am not willing to purchase a new router in addition to the one
from Comcast, and I will simply use the scale as any other scale that
has been used simply for many years.
Tim
Best Answer