Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to: Setup your Fitbit Aria

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

The simplest and quickest approach to setting up your Aria scale is by installing and running the setup software from here.

If you are unable to complete the setup with this software, we recommend using the web-based setup as a secondary alternative. Complete instructions for this process can be found in this help article, along with the instructional video below.

Setting up your Aria via the Web-based Method

For assistance with putting your Aria in "Setup Active" mode, please consult this post.

If you are unable to complete the setup process using the above information, check this help article for more setup tips. For further assistance, please contact our Support Team at http://contact.fitbit.com or join the discussion in our Aria Community forum. Be sure to provide as many details as possible about where in the process you are getting stuck and what error you are encountering.

Best Answer
293 REPLIES 293

After investing an entire Saturday afternoon trying everything possible to set up the scale, I cut my losses and returned the scale to the store where I bought it. Disappointed? Yes. Frustrated? OH BOY - you know it. Love my Fitbit Charge HR though! 

Best Answer

I am consistently unable to set up my FitBit Aria. I have tried the windows software method multiple times, the web method on both my windows laptop & my windows phone, but to no avail. Specifically I am able to get to the step where I change my device over to the Aria **** wifi network, but the device never responds to continue setup (in the fitbit setup software, this is step 2 never completing; in the web install from PC this is the web page never responding after the device is connected to the aria network; in the phone scenario, this is the phone saying it is always unable to connect to the Aria network, even though it is visible) I have tried connecting my pc to the aria network and pinging the aria device, but it does not respond.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I just thought i would report that i finally, finally managed to get aria set up and working!! It was easily about the 50th attempt when i got there. Dedicated a good 6 hours to getting it set up. Was on the verge of returning it, but its now working and im delighted with it so far. But goodness me the set up process needs a rethink from fitbit - its really really tough. A support phone line would be good too.
No complaints about my charge hr, very pleased with that indeed. Thanks, sally
Best Answer
0 Votes
I returned mine and bought else where. Set it up in a couple of minutes.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Holy COW.  I'm so frustrated.

The point of failure is where your blonde lady in the video clicks onto the Aria network and then is able to click the call to action on her web browser and actually PROGRESS to the next page.  When I click that call to action, I just get a proxy error.

Best Answer
0 Votes
When you get a message saying you're connected to the aria network you then go back to your own network. It should connect instantly. Once I exchanged my scales,I had no problem setting it up.
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

Bless your heart Laura but when I do go back to my network to enable it, I'm prompted to start the whole process over again.  

Date/time stamp: 2015-07-02 15:08:56
Error Code: Scale returned error 2.
Error Type: Error reported by the scale.

Os Version: Mac OSX 10.10.3
Client Version: 1.0.4.144
Aria SSID: Aria AF9A59

Network SSID: VM049161-5G
Encryption type: WPA_PSK
Wireless mode: 802.11n

Active networks:

AirPort

Inactive networks:

Ethernet

OKAY! What you've got to do is this.  Use Chrome, and when you leave your network for the scale network, then click the call to action, you'll get that proxy message.  REFRESH the page and confirm form resubmission.  And presto!

It is the crappest software design I've EVER seen but lordy it's working now.  And boy do I have some weight to lose!

...and by the way, the software doesn't help get past any connectivity blips.  You're better off with the Chrome actions (above).  SERIOUSLY.  I wish you well beautiful people xxx

Moderator edit:L merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

I also spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to set up my scale through the desktop, download program and then followed the link to use the web application for cellular devices. Nothing worked. I read all of your posts and started looking at my router and other possible scenarios that would solve the problem.

After feeling beyond frustrated and ready to chuck the thing across the room I took a break for a while. When I came back to it, I went through the iOS Fitbit app on my phone.

First, I signed out and then signed back in to the app

I went to the "Account" tab and

clicked on the "Set Up a New Fitbit Device" link and

clicked on the Aria device.

It gave me the same instructions to follow as did the desktop program and web application, but this time it worked like a charm. It literally took about 5 minutes. I couldn't believe it!

My Aria now works and the weight is accurate. I have no idea why this made the difference after nothing else worked but thankfully, it did. Hopefully this will help someone else too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I used my Surface Pro 3 to run the software install and configuration.  The problem is the window the software came up in was too small to display all of the settings and options.  I was able to log into my account and name the device, but other configuration options were not available becuse they were not in the accessable area of the window that was open.  I attempted to resize the window, but that was not an option.  I also changed the screen resolution on the Surface Pro 3 and that did not help.  As a result, I did not have a very good expeirence with setting up the Aria....I tried by Galaxy S4, but it just did not work.

I just do not know why FitBit had to make a device that is so freaking hard to connect and configure.  It is absurd.

After quite a long time I have the scale up and working.  And I am pleased with it so far. The weight is very close to other scales and I have not had any wild swings in indicated weight.  When they say the scale needs to be on a hard surface believe it.  I have it syncing with my Galazy S4 and I was able to go into the dashboard and change the time to the correct time (this was made more difficult because I did not find any US cities on the list).

I believe this will be a good device for me, but the software engineers need to FIX the install and configuration process.  They also need to investigate the operation of the PC based install software on operating under Windows 8.1!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@dlathem I had the same issue on my Surface Pro 3. I was trying to use the tab button in order to input information in the various form fields in that crazy small display, but the setup still did not work on the Surface Pro 3. Great to hear you were finally able to get your Aria setup! 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes

good luck if you have to install a new router.

I've been on this my second day, double digit hours, I know the process by heart, and am on my second computer.

No change. The setup keeps grinding, the device is on the aria connection, and the program keeps trying.

To no avail.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got my scale today.  I can't get past getting the battery put back in.  The display says "setu"  then goes blank. every.time.   It never scrolls all the way to "active"

Then I get this error "Oops! Something went wrong", "Please make sure the scale is in set up mode", "Try Again"

I have rebooted my computer, cleared the casche, put in new batteries, put the scale 2 ft from the router.  It's like the scale just freezes up and shuts off.  

Frustrated.

Best Answer

OK.  Just got a new router and was dreading setting up my Aria scale again and for good reason.  Almost two hours later I've FINALLY got my scale synced again (so frustrating and so ridiculous).  For info purposes I have an Xfinity modem/router just in case you do too.  Without going into excrutiating detail here's what I did.

1.)  Removed battery for 10 seconds

2.)  When it asked if I was changing the Wi-Fi I tapped the scale (hard)!  (This step not necessary for new setups)

3.)  Used my iPhone to set up like I did the first time because I learned over a year ago that using the computer is a complete waste of time.

4.)  Got an error

5.)  Did extensive research on the forum and found out that I needed to change the name (SSID) of my network because it had underscores (_) in it.  Can only be alpha (A-Z) or numeric (0-9).

6.)  Tried to connect to router to change network name.

7.)  Stalled because I couldn't connect to my router.

8.)  Did extensive research and found out that I have to reset my router to access it after any changes (I changed its name upon initial set up).

9.)   Reset router

10.) Connected to Xfinity router using IP address 10.0.0.1, user name: admin, password: password.

11.) Changed the name of my router to not include any special characters.

12.) Tried set up again with my phone

13.) Got an error

14.) Did more research and found out that the network needs to be 802.11b, per my router settings I was on 802.11g/n

15.) Changed router to 802.11b/g/n just to include everything.

16.) Phone and laptop couldn't connect to wi-fi

17.) Changed router settings to 802.11b/g

18.) Phone and laptop connected again

19.) Used phone to set up scale

20.) FINALLY WORKED!!!

In summary: make sure network name has no special characters, make sure it's 802.11b and use smart phone to set up.

Fitbit, to you I say: fix this.  This is absolutely absurd.

Best Answer
Thanks. I am on fios. However, I am away from my home at the time but not
sure I want to fit my network into an aria friendly world. To the exclusion
of every other thing going on. I am not skilled enough. Certainly what you
describe doesn't meet the expectations of buying a scale off the shelf. I
do applaud you skills and persistence. We'll done.
Best Answer
0 Votes

We got our Aria smart scale today. I just tried to set it up, but ran into a problem. I downloaded the software, per the instructions. Then I ran the setup. It went out and tried to find a network. I confess that even though I read the 3 steps I couldn't believe the second one ("If my computer is connected to the network by a cable, unplug it"). How in heck am I supposed to use my computer at all, when the only way it connects to my home network is via the RF-45 cable????????????? I'm sorry FitBit, but not everyone has a wireless computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure you're not going to buy me one, so how am I supposed to use your software when you demand this requirement??? It really would have been nice to have know this requirement before I put my money down on an Aria.

And another thing, once I get it set up (or return it if there's no other way of setting it up other than through a wireless computer) is my computer the only way that the Aria can reach the Internet?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Try using your phone to set up the network. Get the fitbit app and go to the part for adding a device. That was THE ONLY WAY I could set it up.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Really? Using my phone? I've got a FitBit app on it. Now, how do I get the Aria to the point where it was last night? Where it's scrolling the works "Set up"?

OK, I'm trying to set up my Aria using my Windows Phone (which does have a FitBit app). I've entered a name for the scale. Next it wants me to enter my initials. I've done that.

Now it's just sitting there, with a red border around the textbox for my initials. Clearly it thinks there's something wrong with my initials, or the way I entered it. But I have no idea what in heck is wrong? I only have 1 pair of initials. I've entered the following, "RF", "R F", and "R". All have failed.

So what in heck does this thing want now?

OK, I figured out that the software was looking for 3 letters for the initials. That would have been nice to know. (I personally know people who do not have 3 names - what do they do?)

Now it wants me to connect to the WiFi network starting with ARIA. I see that on my phone. It never allows me to connect.

OK, what now?

Moderator edit: merged replies

Best Answer
0 Votes
Go to your account and add another device
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I've done that, but it didn't work.

I've decided to not try and use any aplication app all. Not on my phone nor PC, since none of them work. I decided to use the web method. I got my tablet out, which uses WiFi. Then watching the videos to set it up using the Web method I connected my table to the Aria's Wi-Fi. From there I next tried to find our home's WiFi connection to connect to.

Well the Aria didn't see our network. In fact it didn't see any WiFi network at all, which is totally ludicrous because when I search for WiFi connections using my phone or my tablet I see at least a dozen different WiFi networks near my house. So I decided to entering my router's SSID and passphrase. That failed. It failed given the error message on Aria itself something like, "WiFi Err". (I don't remember the exact wording, but that was the intent.)

So now I'm convinced that the problem is with the Aria itself. How do I send it back to FitBit to get a replacement?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

can you help me with my aria  itis not puting both names on it   and the some way on the curter to  

Barbara Raia

Best Answer
0 Votes