Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Aria displays a "Sensing Thinking ERR" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I chatted with Eileen from FB support last night.  Aria scale Out of warranty, she truly does empathize with my current predicament and the support she can offer.  But hey %25 off coupon... what more could I ask ,right?   

This is the second time I've endured this frustrating message.  If it really is as simple as replace the sensor bracket, I would be happy to crack open the Aria and replace one or all of them.  I like my other FB products, such as the HR.  I Frequent the challenges, they are neat, fun and keep me engaged.  OK, well, the HR band is currently held on with super glue. It's ok I made it work.  I  like the statistics.     Oh and I had to re-deploy an old DSL wireless modem/router to work with the B protocol as that's the only language the Aria speaks.  That took a bit of doing. I'm good with that. 

I'm not good with feeling abandoned.   We will see if this post gets any attention.   I am hoping so, but expect not.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

So I chatted with Eileen from FB support last night.  Aria scale Out of warranty, she truly does empathize with my current predicament and the support she can offer.  But hey %25 off coupon... what more could I ask ,right?   

This is the second time I've endured this frustrating message.  If it really is as simple as replace the sensor bracket, I would be happy to crack open the Aria and replace one or all of them.  I like my other FB products, such as the HR.  I Frequent the challenges, they are neat, fun and keep me engaged.  OK, well, the HR band is currently held on with super glue. It's ok I made it work.  I  like the statistics.     Oh and I had to re-deploy an old DSL wireless modem/router to work with the B protocol as that's the only language the Aria speaks.  That took a bit of doing. I'm good with that. 

I'm not good with feeling abandoned.   We will see if this post gets any attention.   I am hoping so, but expect not.  

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
58 REPLIES 58

Best Answer

Expectations met!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@T_F I'm really sorry to hear that your Aria scale showed a "Sensing Thinking ERR" message. I'm also sorry to hear that it's no longer under warranty. The warranty period is good for 365 days. I truly understand how you  feel about this and your feedback will be sent to our team since this helps us to keep improving.

Please check out this page for more information about the warranty policies.

Let me know if you have any doubts! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

I only have one doubt. I doubt I’ll ever buy another Fitbit product.

TF

Best Answer

@T_F I totally understand your frustration. I appreciate your feedback about this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How lucky that you got 25% off! My response was "it is already broken, but here is a link to the Aria 2". What my understanding is now is that they do not stand behind their products, and feel fine charging huge amounts of money for a scale that will go on the fritz right after the 1 year warranty is up. If they know it's a sensor issue, why not offer replacements? I guess you just have to get lucky with who you get linked to chat with...

Best Answer

You and I are in the same boat except they didn't even offer me 25% off a new scale, the offered me free shipping. I will never buy another product from them.

Your company doesn't stand by its products and its sad. They'd rather lose a life long customer by taking advantage of a short term sell.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

I just went through the same thing. Installed new Xfinity Gateway and Aria would not connect. I realized it was because the Gateway does not support 802.11b. So I set up my old router again, that does support b,g,n, and the Aria connected and linked, but now get the Sensing Thinking ERR. The response I received from customer support was that the scale is out of warranty and the error is being received because the sensors are out of calibration and there are no repair centers available to do the calibration. I also was told to consider purchasing the Aria 2. My question is how did the sensors get out of calibration? Seems odd that trying to update the Wifi connection would throw the sensors out of calibration. I will not spend the $ to purchase the Aria 2 with only a one year warranty. I just ordered a blue tooth enabled scale for one third of the price that has a 5 year warranty. It looks like the app is similar to the Fitbit app and the description says it will integrate with my Fitbit. 

Best Answer

I have your same problem and I got the reply to do steps I already did. If they don't give me a solution I will never buy Fitbit products. I also liked my first watch but the rubber band and replacements don't last at all. I have another brand and no problems in 3 years!

Best Answer

@MVA1990 @BJVoght Thanks for participating in our Fitbit Community and it's great to see you here @lhova2000! I'm so sorry to hear that your Aria scales stopped working and they can't be covered by the warranty policy. I totally know your frustration and I appreciate your feedback.

For more information about the warranty policies, please visit  this page.

@budogirl Welcome to our Fitbit forums! I was able to get in touch with our Support team and I'll forward your case since it seems that you have tried the troubleshooting steps recommended for this issue. You should receive an email from them soon.

I'll be around if more questions arise!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I too got the "Thinking... ERR" message after my first battery change.  I spent over an hour with Fitbit customer support who recommended "shaking the aria upside down for 10-15 seconds" which of course didn't work.  I found an online video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDEvXJIW4lY with actual useful information about fixing your out of warrenty device.  I discovered the wiring inside is cheap and under a magnifying glass saw that many of the solder joints were poor.  I'm an electrical engineer with plenty of experience with a soldering iron so I plan on checking continuity of each wire and resoldering the cold solder joints I found before giving up and looking for a better quality scale.

I see many people have been reporting their FitBit Aria failing. in the same way i.e. the Step-on, sensing, step-off, thinking, Err Error. Unfortunately mine just as started to exhibit the same symptoms, but contacting Fitbit it turned out that my unit is just outside of warranty :( Bummer! ...
Best Answer
Thank you for your message. I threw the Aria away and bought one Japanese smart scale that does more than the newest Aria they wanted to sell me in Fitbit customer service... 😬🙄 instead of acknowledging they have a problem with their faulty low quality scale or at least provide some discount to their new one.... Never again Fitbit because my Fitbit Charge was replaced twice for a very low quality strap that detached itself....
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dogmatix Welcome aboard to the Fitbit forums and thank you for getting back @budogirl! I truly appreciate your feedback and comments. Your feedback will be forwarded to our team.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Having the same problem.  Purchased scale Nov 2015.  Out of warranty but scale was too expensive for a short period.  Disappointed in Fitbit.

Best Answer

@Hifg I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is no longer under warranty. I totally understand how you feel about this and thank you for your feedback.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just tried my scales for the first time 3 months and I’m getting this same fault. I’ve contacted the customer service but I’m worried after reading all these comments that I will not be satisfied with the response. For such an expensive product I’m really surprised to read that there was an issue with poor welds due to cheap materials. I’ve been a Fitbit customer for about 4 years now and had nothing but quality issues. All my watch straps failed within 6 months. It was the same fault which suggests that they don’t take customer feedback seriously. I’m a quality and lean manager so I know what should happen with all this feedback. 

If I don’t get a suitable resolution, I’ll be leaving Fitbit for good. 

Just as a reference for customer service, I have been a Sonos customer for 6 years. I keep adding to my speakers because I bought a sound bar, which was really expensive. It had a two year guarantee and failed after 2.5 years. Sonos told me it was out of warranty but replaced it anyway, within 48 hours. Now that is how to keep and grow your customers, short term loss for a long term gain.

Best Answer

I don't think you really do understand the frustration!!  This appears to be a manufacturers issue due to the volume of complaints regarding the unit.  You obviously don't want to acknowledge that and have Fitbit accept responsibility for the issue.  You will lose customers, that is obvious from all the responses.   There are also YouTube videos concerning the issue as well.  Everyone's final recommendation appears to be change to a different unit, such as Withings, so I guess that is what I will do as well.

Best Answer

@Rachie72 @cg7 Welcome to our Fitbit Community! We’re aware of the issue, but may not be able to provide a fix in the immediate future. We'll continue to monitor the situation, and keep our team informed of the impact to you and other customers. We understand that this isn't the resolution you were hoping for, but rest assured we are always working to improve our products.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I never gave an update to my diy repair attempts last year so here goes.  I found a 3d pattern for the poorly designed plastic spring pieces in the scale's feet, printed two copies and replaced both the broken ones on my scale.   The pattern worked perfectly and luckily I have access to a 3d printer.  I also looked for bad solder joints and any signs of damaged wiring and found nothing.  Nevertheless the scale still has the same error and is unusable.  I am leaning more and more toward agreeing with the idea that it's a software problem introduced by a firmware release last year.  I replaced it with a $20 weightwatcher's digital scale with a 10 year limited warranty.  It's nicer looking and much more accurate than the aria to boot. No wifi but I can live without that feature.

Best Answer