cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Aria won't sync

SOLVED

I bought a new Aria a few days ago and I cannot get it to sync.  I have followed the advice given by people in the numerous threads on this problem and still nothing.

I have an Asus DSL-AC68U router, which is a dual band.  I have set the router to support b/g mode and put it in 'Legacy' (I've also tried putting it in auto).

I have tried the app and I have tried the manual web method (yes, all the App does it switch networks for you).  

I have placed the Aria right beside the router, literally right beside it.  I have stood right beside the router and aria.

I have tried it on my iPhone 6 and I have tried it on my laptop. 

I have tried tethering to the phone and this does sync and function as normal, but frankly, setting up tethering every time I want to weigh myself is not an acceptable solution - especially not when I have a very good router / wireless AP.

My Asus DSL-AC68U is the only AP in my house - there are no extenders.

There are very little other wirless AP's I can detect.

I have tried switching off the 5Ghz range

I have tried setting a DENY policy and excluding all other wireless devices in my house so that the Aria should be the only thing going through the router.  

The sequence of events goes:

1.  Do the preamble entering my login details and the scale name and my initials.

2.  Reset the scales - or at least make sure it's showing "setup active". 

3.  Connect to the Aria network

4.  Wait for the network SSID to come up and select it (it's 'ragged', so no strange characters). 

5. Enter the password (it's 10 digits, so no strange characters).

6. Watch the scales as they tell me: Networks Detected (or something along those lines), Saving, Joining WiFi, Linking to... No Sync.   - Sometimes I'll get WiFi Err, but usually it goes to "Linking To" and then "No Sync".

I've tried this sequence probably literally 50 times.  

It syncs every time when I hotspot to my iPhone 6.

What does this tell me?  It's likely a problem with the settings on my Router.  But what settings?  It's configured to accept connections from 802.11b devices.  My SONOS, which requires 802.11b/g support connects just fine.

Can anyone help me with the spells I need to cast to get the Aria to connect?   Yes, it seems that it really is just magic - I've read a lot of posts from people who haven't got their Aria to connect - but then it "magically" connected after the 50th or so try - which would hint at the device just happening to find a channel that works for it - so with that in mind, I tried every channel on my router, 1 through 11 (took some time).

Accepted Solution
0 Votes
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To close this issue off... I ended up getting two replacements from Fitbit. Both exhibited the same problem.  As I suspected, it's not a problem with the scales, but rather, the router(s).

I eventually managed to get the logging from the app working (the app .exe starts another exe in %TEMP% and that is where the log files are created and written to).  I then managed to get a log of it connecting successfully and used that to compare.  Not much obvious.  I sent these two logs, successful and unsuccessful to Fitbit support.   They responded telling me that the router needs to have a max of 54Mbps and my log reports 130Mbps.  Problem with that advice was the 130Mbps line was from the log of the successful connection!

I ended up renaming my iPhone to have a name of "myscales" (for example) and turned hotspotting on.  I then could connect my Aria successfully. I then changed the name of my iPhone back to its original name and renamed my router to "myscales", with the same password as I used on my phone. Guess what? It worked. Connection successful every single time.  

Tell me, how is that userfriendly or even sensible??

Accepted Solution
6 REPLIES

For what it's worth, I have checked my router logs and the MAC address of the scales (as per the underside of the scales) is present as connected to my router, so a connection to the physical router is happening.

I would love to know what the scales do to come up with "NO SYNC" and what this means exactly.  Does it mean it can't get a response from the fitbit endpoint?  Does it mean the password entered in the initial stages is wrong?  

I would love a web page accessible from the scale (i.e. when connected to the scale network) that displays a log of what the scale is doing.  

The seemingly pre-canned responses from the moderators don't help a lot.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

More info... I just went to my friends house and tried it on his setup - also a dual band (2.4 + 5) router. Worked first time.  Clearly there's something about specific routers that's causing this problem (besides the problem of Fitbit choosing an outdated connection method).

So now I have to go and buy another router, or return the scales.  Annoying because my $400 u-beaut router is only a few months - my other router will be in addition though, solely to handle packets to this poorly updated device - it won't be in extender mode though. I'm fortunate enough to have gigabit ethernet throughout my house, and will connect it to the network that way - as just another AP.

Accepted Solution
0 Votes

Further to this saga, I found a post by someone else on how to get a log.  It's generated from the Aria setup app when you click 'Contact Support' after the setup fails.  I just tried that and whoops the app crashed.  I tried again and another crash.  I tried running as Admin: crash. I tried the other option: crash.

I then went back to the website at https://www.fitbit.com/setup/aria and notice the following when I try to download - The site says the latest version is 1.0.4.171 data 09.08.2015, yet the file being downloaded is version 1.0.4.166!  Fitbit aren't even hosting their latest version - so off to google I went and found the latest version at Softpedia (ofcourse Smiley Frustrated)

fitbitwot.PNG

It was pointless anyway, because it still crashes on my Windows 10 x64 laptop.

I also noticed my brand new scales have v37 of the firmware installed (clearly old stock), while the latest firmware v39 was released April 2016.  There's no mention of v37, and only for 32, 31, and 28.  versions 38 and 39 only "provided an important security update" and nothing else apparently, so I suppose that won't fix any of my problems - still, detailed revision history would be nice.

By this point, with myself as a software developer of 20 years, I'm getting pretty annoyed at the decisions Fitbit are making (and their quality control).

Accepted Solution

I have the same router and I'm having exactly the same issue

Accepted Solution
0 Votes
Highlighted

I feel sorry for you.  It's an insanely annoying problem.   I strongly feel that there are differences in sensitivies between routers and that the scale is particular to these sensitivies. 

I ended up contacting support and they sent me out a new scale.  I haven't received it yet, so I don't know if that will work.  my confidence is low...

I made a video of what I'm experiencing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc0QRptgALo.   The video is trying to connect to my older TP-Link TL-WA901ND router and I had exactly the same symptoms.  As I said above, the scale connects perfectly first time to my friends router, and that's without wiping the scale from my fitbit account first! (which everyone recommends when changing routers).

I recently purchased a Fitbit Aria. When I tried to connect it I run into the dreaded "NO SYNC" error. A search of the Fitbit community forums showed that I was one of many hundreds with the same problem. I went about trying to resolve it. After many debugging sessions each of many hours I ...
Accepted Solution
0 Votes

To close this issue off... I ended up getting two replacements from Fitbit. Both exhibited the same problem.  As I suspected, it's not a problem with the scales, but rather, the router(s).

I eventually managed to get the logging from the app working (the app .exe starts another exe in %TEMP% and that is where the log files are created and written to).  I then managed to get a log of it connecting successfully and used that to compare.  Not much obvious.  I sent these two logs, successful and unsuccessful to Fitbit support.   They responded telling me that the router needs to have a max of 54Mbps and my log reports 130Mbps.  Problem with that advice was the 130Mbps line was from the log of the successful connection!

I ended up renaming my iPhone to have a name of "myscales" (for example) and turned hotspotting on.  I then could connect my Aria successfully. I then changed the name of my iPhone back to its original name and renamed my router to "myscales", with the same password as I used on my phone. Guess what? It worked. Connection successful every single time.  

Tell me, how is that userfriendly or even sensible??

Accepted Solution