Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale Stuck on step off...causing batteries to deplete

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Scale is two years old...something mechanical preventing scale from working?

Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

I get something similar.

I believe it has to do with the aging strain gages in the scale.  I bought my scale in July 2016 and sure enough, it went wonky in September of 2017 without changing batteries.  Just out of warranty and they wouldn't do anything except say to buy the Aria 2 which isn't available yet.  

I think the electronics compensate for the strain gages until they can't.  My scale started eating batteries every 5 days and displaying "stepsense" all the time.  I could still get it to make a reading after I stepped on it; it made the measurement and then pulling up on the lip of the scale until it said to select the user (multiple users).  It would not sense when I got off the scale.  After I make a measurement and it has transmitted it through the wi-fi I take the batteries out until the next measurement the next day.  This way, it does not discharge the batteries when I am not using it.  It must have non-volatile memory for the wi-fi settings because I never have to program the settings.  When batteries are inserted into the scale it starts up and says "V039", then "hi!", starts to tell me what wi-fi connection I have and then displays "stepsense".  

So I am waiting until the Aria 2 comes out.  Why do I even bother with all this as it is time-consuming - because it is part of my routine to lose weight and the interface both with my laptop and smartphone for other Fitbit features is great!

Best Answer

That's a bummer. I just started getting the same issue. Not sure I want to replace this scale as it's pretty expensive. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

After much fussing around with the problems everyone else describes, THIS is IT. I lifted the scale up by its edges and suddenly the thing went forward with recording the weight and transmitting it to Fitbit. It's either mechanically or electrically broken. When I place it down on the ground, it goes back into the routine like someone is standing on it (just gravity of itself) and loops til the batteries die. Pick it up by the outer edge, relieving pressure on the scale top and it will SENSE you stepped off and continue operating. Thank you Tterrific. Solved thanks to you! So the scale IS in fact, broken. I thought it was a software/firmware issue.

After this (spending $129 for a crappy scale), I'm not interested in Fitbit products anymore. It was a fun bandwagon while it lasted. Moving on to something different, perhaps an Apple Watch and a scale that works with it. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@KennyZ Thank you for joining this thread! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria worked only when you lifted it up by its edges. I know how frustrating this is for you and respect your decision. Your feedback is greatly appreciate as this helps us to keep improving.

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes

my scale is dong this as well.  Will not be purchasing another fitbit product.  The first glitch was when my bf reading went from 14% to 28%.  Chaning lean or regular does nothihg.  And batteries last less than a week now.  I came here looking for a solution and see that the product is just defective.

Oh..and my LCD on my readout is missing pixels now as well on the right side.

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mrbyte It's great to see you in our Fitbit Community! I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is not providing accurate readings either and the batteries are not lasting as long as they should. I know that this is frustrating for you. By the way, thank you for troubleshooting this issue before contacting our forums.

Before I proceed accordingly, I'd like you to try the following: Take out the batteries, clean the contacts of the scale with a cotton swab and a little bit of alcohol in order to remove any dust that the springs accumulate. After this, weigh yourself 5 times in a row again in order to re-calibrate your scale and monitor the batteries behavior and how accurate the readings are.

Let me know how it goes! 😀

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

Best Answer
0 Votes