Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aria shows a "Sensing, Step OFF" message

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I bought the Aria close to 3 years ago and have never been super thrilled with the product as it has NEVER once measured BF for any of its synced users - one of the main points of getting this scale. I decided it was something I could live with since all other FITBIT users have apparently experienced the same issue. However, in the last 3-4 months it has kicked it up a knotch when it comes to not working. 

In that time frame it has gone thru countless sets of NEW batteries and thats because it NEVER TURNS OFF!!!! I can step on the scale and it will tell me 'syncing' for 1-2 minutes sometimes or more  and when it moves to the 'step off' line it just scrolls on repeat for an endless amount of time. This has caused the battery life to last all of a week!

Obviously - I have taken out the battery to reset the scale and that has worked for many users but not me. I would go thru the reset process prior to posting this but I am FRESH out of batteries.... 

At this point the scale is useless and will be replaced with a more reliable device if a solution cannot be found. EXTREMELY disappointing giving the price of this scale and the added benefit of it syncing to the FITBIT app,

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@vpierce25 It's great to see you in the Community! Seems odd that your Aria scale is draining the batteries fast and doesn't turns off. Since you have already troubleshooted this issue accordingly,my best advice is to get in touch with our Customer Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

JuanJo | Community Moderator

Running with music makes you happy! Share Your Story

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

@vpierce25 It's great to see you in the Community! Seems odd that your Aria scale is draining the batteries fast and doesn't turns off. Since you have already troubleshooted this issue accordingly,my best advice is to get in touch with our Customer Support team so they can investigate further and provide a solution.

Keep me posted on the outcome my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

This is exactly what's happening with my aria scales. It's very disheartening.

i can't keep up with batteries. I even deleted the other users to see if that helped but no.

Joke is that I ate too much for Xmas..... so not funny!!

Best Answer

I spoke with customer service and it was determined my scale is defective 😞 

Thankfully, she was able to send me a replacement at no cost even though my warranty was out!! I definitely wasn't expecting that! 

I am am super excited to be getting a replacement - maybe this one will even measure BF %

😎

Best Answer

@Ladyshails Thanks for joining us in this thread and our Fitbit Community! I would like to know if you took the batteries out for 15 seconds. Also, is your Aria placed on an even and flat surface? If you have done these two details, I recommend contacting our Support department since they'll be happy to review your case and provide a solution.

@vpierce25 I'm so glad to hear that our Customer Support team provided a replacement unit. Thanks for keeping me updated on this.

I'd like to invite you to visit our Discussions board where you can create new topics, share your experiences and meet people.

Let me know how it goes my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

message deleted

Best Answer
0 Votes

@mwalker200  It's great to have you above in the Community! I noticed that there are no details about the issue you are experiencing. Please resend your post with more details and I'll be glad to assist you accordingly.

Looking forward to your response my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, i deleted my post as i typed it with a little frustration yesterday after a chat with customer service.  I love my fitbit and dont plan on going anywhere but i found the chat very curt and unhelpful.

I am having the same problem with my scale (mine is 4 years old) as the original poster and after seeing the help she received even though her scale was out of warranty I contacted support to see if there was anything they could do to help - not necessarily a warranty replacement but maybe a discount to purchase another.  I was told that my scale is over a year old and out of warranty and "This policy is in place, and we will not make any exception."  I mentioned this post and how customer service helped them even though it was out of warranty and was told "I'm sorry about that confusion. I'll be happy to ask for a clarification from the agent. Your Aria will not be replaced as it is out of warranty already".

I honestly don't expect to have my scale covered under warranty but I was surprised at the we will not make any exception comment rather than a let me check this post you are referring to and I will see if there is anything I can do to help you.  I have dealt with Fitbit customer support and they have gone beyond my expectations on two different occasions so maybe these previous ones have set my expectations too high.Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I realized I had the same issue from a little while ago and finally decided to contact your CS. I didn't look deep into the threads but at cursory glance, noticed some people having the same issue with taking out the battery being one of the only solutions so I went directly via live chat to speak to a representitive today. I let the representative know that my scale was purchased in July 2013 with regular to minimal use. This was the response:
"
Your Aria is our of warranty.
Unfortunately we're unable to provide a complimentary replacement product or a discount towards a new purchase. If you'd like to buy a new product, you can do so at https://www.fitbit.com/store.
"
I was a little offended because I wasn't asking for a complimentary replacement or discount. I was seeking for a SOLUTION to fix my expensive scale. I've owned multiple fitbit products and have recommended them to friends, only because I BELIEVED the products had great value. I didn't expect the scale that gets SUBSTANTIALLY LESS USE than a smartphone, calculator, and/or balance to stop working before any of those electronics. I mention this because the following is the response I received from your CS rep.
"
The life span of any device such as cellphones, calculators, balances, etc, will depend on the usage and care.
"
I understand that technology will eventually start to degrade. However, the scale was MAYBE used once a day, and stayed in ONE SPOT in the house. I understand that CS reps need to deal with angry customers and it's not an easy job, but I was really disappointed in the way the conversation went from the very beginning.

Thought this may be relevant information for your staff and potential future buyers.
*Note: I have enjoyed my fitbit products for years.

Best Answer

Thanks for getting back @mwalker200 and it's great to have you aboard in the Community @Kaz81! I really understand your frustration about the replies you received and there was no intention to offend. Please take a look at our Warranty Policies page, which explains for how long the policy is good.

I appreciate your feedback and comments since this is reviewed by our higher levels.

Please don't hesitate to get back if more questions arise my friends! Smiley Happy

Best Answer

I am havin g the same issue - I have reset everything, and then battery flashes and then blank nothing.  I give up.  I am very dissapointed with this scale! Do not buy - it has never worked correctly and I based on everything I read the only solution is to buy a new one.  I am going back to a good old fashion reliable scale.  I am also going back on Amazon and leaving a review.

Best Answer

@onisa Thanks for participating in the Community! So sorry to hear that your Aria scale showed the same issue. I would like to know if you have contacted our Customer Support team since they can go ahead a review your case since you have restarted your scale as mentioned in your post. I'm pretty sure the'll check out your warranty status.

In the meantime, please make sure that you are standing still on the scale and your Aria is placed on an even and flat surface.

Please get back if more help is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

**ahem**, lucky you. I've got the same problem, but technical support has just told me that unfortunately I'm out of warranty so nothing they can do. It's a shame, I love these scales, but this is now my second set that's failed on me and not keen to cop another £100 on them if they average 2 years a piece.

Best Answer

@josh1510 It's nice to see you in our Fitbit Community! I really understand your frustration and I really appreciate your feedback and comments regarding the warranty policy. In order to have more information about our warranty policy, please visit this page.

Keep me posted if more assistance is needed my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, I understand warranties. I was just saying 'lucky you' to the user above who has the same issue as me but got theirs replaced...

"I spoke with customer service and it was determined my scale is defective.

Thankfully, she was able to send me a replacement at no cost even though my warranty was out!! I definitely wasn't expecting that! 

I am am super excited to be getting a replacement - maybe this one will even measure BF %"

Best Answer

My first ever fitbit scale did this. Contacted support and they replaced it. Awesome. Second scale had been working fine for the last year or so and do ally ran out of batteries. Mid April I replaced them...and have had to replace them twice since!! Is there a new version of the scale? I don't want to bother with this same scale as this has been an issue for quite some time. 

Best Answer

My Scale started chewing up batteries a couple of months ago after working reliably since the day I bought it.  For the price of the scale, one would think it would have a much longer life span.  I reset and replaced the batteries and one week later my wife had to replaced the batteries 😐  Was the scale firmware  updated?  The battery life wasn't an issue until recently?

Best Answer

I have recently started having the same issue.  My Fitbit scale is burning through batteries, I contacted customer service and was told to put a fresh set of batteries in and to sync it daily.  After about a week the batteries were totally drained.  I called Fitbit customer service back and was told they could not do anything because my scale was put in service back in 2015.  After looking the issue up it sounds like this is a common problem with the scale.  The only option I was given was to order a new one and they would expedite shipping which I could have done the same by ordering through Amazon.  So no viable option was given.  I was hoping to return the scale so that it could be refurbished at a lower cost than purchasing a new one.  Now what happens to the Fitbit scale that does not work, more trash for the landfill.  At this point I'm not likely to order another Fitbit scale because it sounds like this issue has not been resolved and it makes me sad that viable options for fixing/replacing defective ones are not in place.  

Best Answer

@kli317 I noticed that you just joined this thread and our Fitbit Community! I know how frustrating this is for you and I'm sorry to hear that your Aria scale is no longer under warranty. The warranty period is good for 365 days. For more information about the warranty policy, please visit this page.

Don't hesitate to get back if more questions arise my friend! Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes

My scale is doing the same thing, replaced the batteries mid April and they're flat again. I've had my Aria for about 3-4yrs so certainly out of warranty. I was hoping there was some sort of solution as this thread was marked Solved but it's all a vague lie.

Fortunately I've already decided to gradually move away from here so I'll be looking at other smart scales before rushing to buy another set of the same scales.

Best Answer