Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone dealing with fibromyalgia issues?

Hello Fitbit community

I am just starting to track everything about ME!  I have been struggling with fibromyalgia since I was about 27 (now 68).  Just wondering if there is anyone out there with fibromyalgia.  Would love to discuss current research and what works for you.

Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

Hi Gailsue! You are not the only one! I was diiagnosed about two years ago by accident while at the endocrinologist , I thought my pain was just a by product of a rough life, it was good to put a name to it. I am 50yrs old but some days I feel 90. What works for me is a balance between pushing myself and resting when I need to\. I used to walk 10,000 steps 5 days a week until a year agp when it was determined that I needed a total knee replacement, for several reasons I haven't had it yet, I think things will improve for me then. I never give up I wear my fit bit eeryday I set my goal at 5,000 steps and I get about 47miles a week. Pain is pain, there is no denting that but a positive attitude does wonders! Face book is such a rich source of laughter,which some days is the best medicine Have a great day!

Best Answer

Gail I sent you an ivite for friend... Fibromyalgia is a yes... lets talk

Dawn | USA Flex Charge HR Charge Surge Blaze Versa 2 Android
Best Answer
0 Votes

Bitfit, I sent you a friend request... Fibromyalgia here as well... understand totally... hope to have you join my group soon. Take care and never quit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia nearly two years ago. Exercise definitely helps even though it can be a struggle at times - which is one reason why I got a Fit Bit Zip. It's a big help. I'd welcome the chance to hear from others with FM.

Good luck to all.

Best Answer

Stellamar,

Lord knows there are plenty of us and we need to support and encourage each other. Friend me if you like and we can step together on this journey. The most important factor with Fibromyalgia... PACE...Rest... step a little... rest... increase very slowly. I had hoped to up my steps this week but I looked back and while I met my weekly goal I did not meet my daily goal.. until I can do 3k a day I will consider that my number to beat. It is difficult when you can't work and the pain, the fatigue, all the other symptoms get in my way. Dx back in 1999 probably had it all my life but I did not walk or drive for years I was bedridden. It is hard work to move when your brain says yes and your body shuts down; it can be done slowly. Welcome to Fitbit world it truly is inspiring. Good to meet you! Friend me and we can share more personally. Lifestyle changes are a must for survival of the fittest and even more important for those with health or other challenges. Be good to yourself; keep on keeping on.  

Best Answer

NewDawn

Many thanks for your encouraging words, especially "Keep on keeping on": an excellent motto to adopt.  I'm sending every possible good wish to you.

Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are most welcome! Looking forward to getting to know you better.

Best Answer

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 20 years ago, but my symptoms go back to before my first child was born and he just turned 28.  I am 51 and the last year has been awful.  My pain has been so much works, and then my anxiety and depression started to spiral out of control.  Working with my Dr to find an antidepressant that works for me but so far we've struck out.  My kids gave me the fitbit for my birthday last week.  I knew my sleep pattern was messed up but I didnt realize how much till I see my results. OMG!  Anyone in the group feel free to add me if you wish.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My symptoms started when I was six months old, I am now 35.  Little over a year ago I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, until then everyone had told me it was in my head, doctors told my parents I was faking fatigue, people said I was imagining things, everyone has these problems, there's nothing I can do, and that I'm just being a crybaby.  Fibro is a hard lot to deal with, but there are ways to manage.  Each case is unique and we each have different triggers, so what works for one person may not work for another.  The important thing is to keep on keeping on!  Take all the advice and try it, keep what helps, throw away what doesn't. For 17 years I managed a lot of my pain and depression with yoga.  It doesn't always help but more often than not.  Some days are just better.

I'm open for discussion on this!  Since my experience has been very limited and full of naysayers telling me I was insane.  It would be nice to chat with others who share some of my issues. Although I would not wish this upon anyone, it is nice to know that there are people who understand.

Best Answer

Fitbit has changed my perspective on my health predicaments!  As I'm a new user and have just begun logging my food intake, I don't want to lose this momentum, so I'm joining the community for support to keep going.  I have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, degenerative discs and stenosis in my neck and back, low thyroid and Hashimoto's thyroiditis, chronic depression, an eating disorder (bingeing), candida, and I need to lose 94 lbs. (at least it's not 100 lbs. anymore!) I list all these first in order to find others with the same issues, but I am determined that while I "have" these challenges, that they don't have me!  I also just turned 65, which surprised me when I got really down about it; I have an awesome therapist who reminded me that it's just a number, and while we're still alive, God has a purpose for us.  I have many interests and a few passions to keep me motivated, but fatigue, back issues, pain, and memory problems are a challenge.  I am hopeful that these can improve:  my new fitbit Charge has revealed that my sleep is much worse than I thought, and my doctor has ordered a sleep study for me from this data.  As disrupted sleep is a key part of fibromyalgia pain and cognitive problems such as memory (fibrofog), I hope new information may lead to ways to improve my sleep.

The fitbit has opened my eyes to how much I am on my feet during the day.  I'd grown so sedentary that my physical weakness really concerned me.  My husband isn't able to get around easily anymore, and one of us needs to be able to take care of things better as we get older.  I have tried to walk, but pain is an issue, and it's so easy to overdo and then crash for several days.  The fitbit has enabled me to focus on extending my better days by overexerting LESS!  Knowing the number of steps I take during the day lets me know that I'm not as immobile as I thought, and tracking my progress in walking gives me detailed and objective information that gives me more of a sense of control.  Ironically, trying to control my energy and get more done during the day held me back...while I can't really control my down days, seeing measurable progress helps me to be more positive when I need to rest. 

Then there's the weight accountablitity!  As my husband is also losing weight, I have double accountablility that somehow is much less restrictive than my own punishing myself while continuing to eat out of control.  I'd like to share more about that another time.  My therapist has revealed a cycle that helps me understand what I'm doing.

Besides the weight issue, I now know that our typical American diet contributes to fibromyalgia symptoms.  There's a wealth of research available now, and I've tried several times to remove offending foods from my diet and have felt better and lost weight, only to miss the foods that got me to where I am.  Carb cravings are the worst.  There are biochemical reasons for them, especially when we're so fatigued, so coupled with emotional triggers, eating well is truly a challenge.  We don't keep many offending foods in the house, but my husband buys carb-rich foods for himself that keep talking to me!!

Not his fault, but sometimes we BOTH start thinking about bread or dessert items, and then we're our own worst enemies in tandem!  I just started recording what I eat, which I've never enjoyed or succeeded at.  It's really helping!  My therapist got a fitbit, which is where I learned about it; she said tracking her food intake was actually fun, and it gave her a picture of how much she could still eat during the day and keep on track.  I was skeptical.  She was right:)  Who knew that this accountability stuff could be fun??

I had a great fibromyalgia support group for over a decade, but I've withdrawn from them.  I care about people but find it difficult to be around them, especially when I feel yucky.  I have a walking partner who is also a former fitness trainer, who finally sees that I have to exercise in slowly increasing increments.  Still, some days I don't get out for that 5-10 min. stroll, especially when I have a lot to do for a day or two.  I'm fortunate to live in SoCal, with a lot of sun and mild weather, and when I don't go, I miss the uplift being outside gives me.

We live in a 55+ community, and these really trim and fit people walk by our house quite often; I resented not being able to look and move like them!  Now that I'm literally moving forward with encouragement, I am better accepting where I am.  Hope is a powerful life essential.  The fitbit helps me appreciate the small improvements on the way--so that my down days aren't so disastrous.  There's always tomorrow... 🙂

Best Answer

I a 34 year old with fibromyalgia, I also bought a fit bit to help to track how much activity I did even on my worst days. Unfortunately, I am too sensitive to wear my Fitbit because it shocks me. I am not sure if I want to gamble with getting another one. I am returning it. I am dissapointed that I am hypersensitive to so many things. This too was a way to help my depression, and I was looking forward to tracking positive improvements. I'll just have to stick with the old fashioned rule- one step at a time- if possible.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!

I'm 27 and I have been dealing with fibromyalgia for about a decade. My Flex 2 has changed my life; I could never properly track anything because of my intense fog. All of a sudden, it's like I have a tiny amount of control over my life and it's incredible.

Good luck on your journey!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just got a FitBit and i have Fibro. im trying to figure out “reasonable” goals. Sadly, they change from day to day. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I've found FitBit helpful for my FMS and so I hope you will too. A 10000
steps target seems to work best at present, but of course, like you, I find
that things can vary from day to day. However, exercise is a definite help
for me, even if it can be a struggle to persuade myself to get going -
especially when it's raining. However, not exercising makes matters worse,
not better, and the feeling of achievement when targets are met can give a
real boost. Good luck with everything you're doing. Feel free to get in
touch.
Best Answer

HI 🙂 I have fibro, I'm 29 and I just got a FitBit last week and I feel empowered already! 

Best Answer
Yes, I also have fibromyalgia- my Fitbit helps me track my heartbeat and steps that I manage on my worst days, and gives encouragement when I have more energy. I am 36 years old. Pace yourself and give yourself grace on the tired draining days of flare ups.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

As a long-term Fibromyalgia patient--and someone who wore a Fitbit for seven years--I can attest to the power of access to sleep data for managing this condition.

In recent months, for instance, I was able to add almost an hour to my average sleep.  I focused on time, temperature and bedding, and using the FORMER Fitibit app, was able to get the feedback I needed to hack my sleep for better health.

Which is why I'm utterly sick that Fitbit's new app has removed this ability.  Replacing in-depth sleep data--including resting heart rate during sleep--with a bogus "Sleep Score" has meant I've lost a partner I once relied on.

What other options are out there for comparable sleep trackers?  I'm trying some Apple Watch apps, but need a proper wearable to keep getting better with fibromyalgia.  Just sorry Fitbit no longer wants to give me the info I need.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have fm and more. What would you like to know?

Best Answer
0 Votes

What group?

Best Answer
0 Votes