Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using their fitbit to improve health through Chronic illness

I have severe ME and Fibromyalgia, I have been mainly housebound and sometimes bedbound for the last 5 years. I have bought my fitbit to encourage movement and improve pain levels by trying to improve my muscle health. I have to start very slowly and am working with Oxford Pain clinic to rehabilitate my body. I will never be "normal" but I hope to be able to control my illness and do the best I can to gain some strength back.

Is anyone else using their fitbit in a similar wayCat Wink

Best Answer
155 REPLIES 155
Hi! I'm trying to improve my health as well. I don't have a diagnosis, cause I was one tender point away from fibromyalgia, but I have many symptoms that match it apart from the muscle pain.
I got my fitbit to track how much I move and my goal is to improve on it and do a little more as time goes by. My exercise now is basically short walks, a small amount of housework and I'm looking into doing some yoga at home.
I've learned the hard way that if I overdo things I'm down for the following days or maybe for a week.
I need my boyfriend to open anything with a lid or a cork and to carry anything heavy around, but as happy as I am to have him around helping me I wish I could do these simple things myself.
If you have any tips on how to go about gaining some strength, feel free to share. 🙂
Best Answer

Hello. I am doing Fitbit due to my chronic back problems. I have disintegrating disk disease, stenosis of the lumbar vertebra, and spondlosis of L-3. Yet, I am still flexible and mostly active. Doctors keep telling me to "keep moving" and I do. I also do physical therapy and the deep pool at the YMCA for pain management. 

Plus, I still do all my own housework and yardwork, a bit slower, but I do it. Pain management is what is working for me instead of pain drugs. Being a bead artist, the pain drugs make me "silly and an airhead"! lol

Best Answer

Hi. I too have a medical condition that limits my physical activity. I fractured my T4 vertebrae as well as herniated T7-8, osteoarthritis of the spine, four herniated discs in my cervical spine. With nerve compression in the thoracic and cervical spine (the nerve pain is what limits my activity). I also have DDD in my spine, mild scoliosis in the lumbar region. To top all that off, I was diagnosed with osteopenia two years ago. To keep my spine and hips healthy and my bones strong, walking is the only advised exercise. My husband started fitbit about two weeks ago and I thought this would be a great motivator for me to push myself to become active again, despite my conditions. I am glad to know there are others in the community who have limitations but want to get fit!

Best Answer

Thank you for your responses its great to hear that others are using their fitbit for improving their health. If you want to add me as a friend I would be honoured although I doubt we will be competing it would be nice to see how you are all getting on.

I was a Massage therapist and worked on Cruise liners, also worked in the shops onboard and had a very physical job, the doctors told that the pain and exhaustion was just me being a hypochondriac and so I pushed through the pain and tiredness until around 5 years ago my body "gave up" on me and I collapsed.

Since my diagnosis I have realised that my while my muscles were being used they created "trigger points" and because my muscles do not seem to heal they have shortened and this is causing me intense pain and stiffness.

I have been looking into "Myofascial release"  using massage and stretching as well as the hydrotherapy can hopefully release these trigger points, relax and lengthen my muscles back to health and some sort of strength. Unfortunately because of my ME, I sleep very poorly and move alot so my muscles do not get a chance to rest and repair so it is an ongoing battle.

Best Answer

Help with using fitbit info to monitor recovery from injury

I have been a fitbit flex user for 7 months and was very proud of my consistent daily/weekly steps over 10-13K (usually over 100K/week), mainly due to walking to work and at work and around the city (NYC).

Over a month ago, I developed severe low back and leg pain which was diagnosed as herniated disc. I was homebound for a week, then able to walk a little. Now I'm back to work (part-time) and getting around 4K to 5K steps a day (taking public transportation), still needing pain meds and time on my back. I'd like to use the data in the steps log and sleep to organize and understand the progress I'm making. I am a premium member but I haven't found a way to see the data in a graph format. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

Barrie

Best Answer

Hi all - I've had fibromyalgia for 2 years now and I'm trying to lose about 20lbs i've put on with all of the medications. I used to be a runner but now the best I can manage is the elliptical. its hard to work through the pain some days but I'm looking for motivation and any tips for getting through any foot/leg pain if anyone has any tips (i've tried massage and foot inserts and hydrotherapy, nothing has worked so far!)

thanks, feel free to friend me, i would love to have some people to motivate me to work those steps!

Best Answer

I am new to fitbit but I too have chronic health issues. I suffer from fibromyalgia and started using the fitbit to monitor my activity so I can share with my health care providers and we can make plans on how I can move more. They even laughed a bit as I wore it to surgery today. Hey, the movement walking still counts!

My goal is once I get a regular idea of what my average movement is in the day, I want to try increasing my activity gradually.

Best Answer

Hi Brennana and mommyjenna,

I hope you both are heading toward recovery and able to be more active and have less pain.

Each day/week that we can move a little more is a hopeful sign.

Good luck

B

Best Answer

I'm chronically ill, too - endometriosis, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and what's looking like a probable fibro dx, along with IBS and all sorts of fun symptoms, not to mention the weight gain that came with all of those and the meds. I was about 30 lbs from my goal weight (after losing 120 lbs) when I got sick, and right now walking is all I can do - so tracking my movement and my calories with my fitbit has been a lifesaver (and keeps it from being dreary). I just want to get this weight off so I can deal with my health issues!

Best Answer
Hi there 🙂
I had a complete hysterectomy in December because of endometriosis and my
IBS is completely gone! Some of your conditions can be because of the endo.
I've had about 6 friends have one for endo all younger than me and most of
their diagnoses went away after the surgery!
Best Answer

I was in a car accident 6 years ago, suffred a traumatic brain injury, and deal with balance and stamina problems. Oh, and short term memory problems

I use the fitbit to keep track of my progress because there's no way I'd remember it. My goal is quite a bit lower than what was programmed into theFitbit originally, but I think that's one of the very individualistic things. Whatever I do, I compare t to what I did before, not what someone else did.

(I consider myself extremely lucky, with the few problems I havve)

Best Answer

I am using the device due to being diagnosed with sarcoidosis around six years ago affecting one lung.  It has helped me change my diet, exercise more on a daily basis to build up and maintain my endurance and to lose around 35 lbs since I took a work challenge in Oct 2013.  I love this device....

Best Answer

I just got my FitBit and am happy to find this group. I have a list of health issues, fibromyalgia (diagnosed 19 yrs ago), Hashimoto's thyroiditis, and severe allergies that have given me asthma. Change of season, and spring in particular, are always hard for me. I'm hoping to track what I'm able to do, and see the good days vs the bad ones where I can't move much.

Best Answer

Hi I also have health problems I fell and broke my tail bone in October and I am still off of work.  I am healing very slow, I also having bulging disks on T4, T5 and also my blood work is abnormal I am having a bone marrow biopsy today to find out if I have multiple myeloma a type of cancer.  I have around 100 lbs to loose.  I got my fitbit one this past weekend to help track my progress.  I do have family around to help and encourage me but could use friends who are using fitbit.

Best Answer

Hi All,

I just got my FitBit today and praying for help in improving my health.  I have had Chronic Pain Syndrome for about 15 years now.  It has become a lot worse this year and I am way to sedentary.  My weight is out of control!  I would like to loose 70 pounds but the doctor thinks I can only loose between 30 - 40.  Right now I would settle for 10!

Hoping for relief from the pain.

Best Answer

I am using my fitbit to motivate and track progress of the gait training I recieved after getting my first set of AFOs (ankle foot orthodics) last year to manage foot drop in CMT (Charcot Marie Tooth disease.) Prior to getting my AFOs I had lost a lot of stamina and even a trip to the grocery store would wear me out.

With my AFOs, gait training, and physical therapy, I decided to join a month long challenge group to walk 100 miles. Wish me luck.

Best Answer

I am not anywhere near the same circumstances, but I've been plagued by sickness and injury during my marathon training. It's really hard to keep positive when the thing I love and want to do is out of reach for a while. Just keep pushing through and do your best. I'm inspired by you and I hope things work out for you so you can be healthy and strong all your life!

Best Answer

Thank you EricaB3. I do keep pushing to stay moble and flexable. Not looking forward to another surgery, but I will be in good shape for it. I know how fast I will heal with doing the exercises now. 

Best Answer

Hello.  I have had my Fitbit for a week.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Pain Syndrome over 15 years ago.  During the last year my symptoms have greatly increased.  I have total body pain daily.

I am in hopes that my Fitbit will help to motivate me to move and watch my diet.  Any help or support would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer