Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone using their fitbit to improve health through Chronic illness

I have severe ME and Fibromyalgia, I have been mainly housebound and sometimes bedbound for the last 5 years. I have bought my fitbit to encourage movement and improve pain levels by trying to improve my muscle health. I have to start very slowly and am working with Oxford Pain clinic to rehabilitate my body. I will never be "normal" but I hope to be able to control my illness and do the best I can to gain some strength back.

Is anyone else using their fitbit in a similar wayCat Wink

Best Answer
155 REPLIES 155

Welcome!  There don't seem to be too many of us here but it is good support for those of us who are!  I have been using my FitBit since May.  It has been a good motivator for me!  I try to do 5000 steps a day.  Don't always make it but it feels so good when I do!

Best Answer

Using fitbit as a reminder to MOVE and to track sleep.  I have Ehler's Danlos and psoriatic arthritis and am on immunosuppressant therapy. 2 plus years ago I was VERY active.  I had one little accident/fall and ended up having 2 major surgeries and learning that I was also suffering a flare of autoimmune inflammatory arthritis.  I had all of the signs but I was too busy to really take care of myself. I also worked full time 12 hour days as an emergency department RN.  I rode horses, ran, hiked, everything outdoors with my family.  I have struggled with severe chronic pain and feeling very unwell and fatigued.  Now that I have given the medications time to work I notice I can move a little better and more!  I am sick all of the time and have bouts of extreme chronic pain that take me down like a hit to the diaphragm but am beginning to accept the new me.  I watch my diet and am very strict about what I put into my body due to the diseases I suffer from and medications I am taking to help combat the diseases.  I am 39 yo, married with an 11yo daughter and 16 yo son.  I LOVE animals and the outdoors.  We live on a very small hobby farm.  Even though I am not able to ride any longer I still love and enjoy my horses.  My animals have been my therapy!  I love wearing the fitbit and am a newer user.  The fitbit has amazed me with the sleep tracker and has urged me to get up and move a bit more.  Some days I can not and that is ok. I am learning to listen to my body and fitbit helps a LOT!  

Best Answer

Hi everyone, I just got my first fitbit yesterday.  I wanted it to track my sleep, I injured myself during pregnancy 10 years ago, basically my pelvis seperated, I fell dislocated my hip, chipped a bone.... developed a growth on the bone, shredded all my ligaments, had surgery 2 1/2 years ago and now have tendonosis in glutes and pelvic area.  I have had big trouble sleeping for 10 years!  I tried it last night and not really sure how to interpret the results, but in total it says I had 4 1/2 hours sleep.  That sounds about right, I'm just baffled as to how it calculates sleep as oposed to lying in bed trying to sleep!

I'm hoping to improve strength in my hip/leg muscles and set my initial goal at 5000 steps which I have achieved today, but now I'm suffering in pain, I may have set the goal too high to start with.

I'd love to be friends with anyone with a similar goal that we can encourage and challenge each other to take that extra step each day.

Best Answer

Hi Everyone,

I have Epilepsy, depression, obesity issues and high blood pressure and because most medications dont work for some seizures I have started the Modified Atkins Diet and my father in law gave me a fitbit flex he didnt want that someone at his work gave him so I was lucky enough to get. So I am hoping the fitbit will help me keep a idea of how I am doing and how this will go.

Peace love and Rock and Roll 🙂

Best Answer

Hello all. I have so many things going on at once. Sarcoidosis, Pulmonary Hypertension, Spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and IDDM. Now my doctor thinks I may have Rhuematoid arthritis. all of my joints hurt which makes it difficult to move. But I try to keep my body moving. I push myself to walk my dog everyday. Sometimes that can be a real struggle for me. Sarcoidosis is an inflammatory disease and it does not help my joints or my weight.

My Fitbit help me keep track of my movements and also what I eat and drink each day. I love it! So glad my daughter suggested that I get one. Now, even though we a hundreds of miles away from one another, she can keep track of how much I move, and send me little inspirational notes every day.

Best Answer

What a joy to see all these folks doing what they can to manage chronic conditions of all kinds! Just got my FitBit Charge today and have been poking around looking for just this kind of community. Wow.

I've had ME/CFS and fibromyalgia for the past 3 1/2 years, and I've suffered from chronic neck and back pain since an auto accident in '87.

I've got two objectives for using FitBit. First, to encourage me to move, as I've heard over and over here. Second, to prevent me from moving too much! The post-exertional relapses are long and lifeless periods I try hard to avoid (happen to be in one at the moment). Great to see the camaraderie and encouragement here. Hope it keeps happening! Friend me.

Best Answer

@joyoz wrote:

Maybe we should start a fibromyalgia and chronic pain support group in Fitbit groups. I haven't started a group, but I can figure out how to do it. Who's interested?

Not a bad idea, but I'd vote to keep us all together, since so many of the physical complaints are so similar. 

Best Answer

You are truly inspirational!  Thank you for sharing!

Best Answer

I myself suffer from endometriosis, and I feel that when I am more active, I feel better then ever. This is why I have choosen the FitBit to help motivate me to reach further! 

Best Answer

Dear Shortcake360,

Congratulations for choosing the fitbit route as you aim to improve your health!  In my teens I joined the girls' track team for 1 season.  I was amazed at how much better I felt--and how my heavy, painful periods improved!  Unfortunately, I lacked the motivation to keep going.  I didn't have endometriosis, but I had a good friend who did, and she was miserable, so I know how crippling it can be.  I find that for my pain and depression, being more active makes all the difference.  OK, to be honest, it worsens my pain if I'm not careful.  By increasing slowly and monitoring my other activities during the week, I'm able to get more done around the house as well as in more desirable activities:)  I find the fitbit is so encouraging, and that motivates me to continue.  I had no idea I walked as much as I do in steps, and that helped me to back off the unrealistic expectations of what "real" exercise entails.  Yay!  Keep going!

Sincerely,

Susan DeM

Best Answer

This is my first time to go on to this discussion board so I haven't seen anything else that you have said but to me (as someone who has had this illness for over 30 years )I think you have your head on the right way .I have found that as much as I would love to fly to the moon or at least go away for a long weekend to a city like New York and party and shop and eat and dance .........It would take me a year to get over it .I have only known that I have CFS for about 6 years and am still learning that I have to take one day at a time .Using a Fit Bit dose make pacing easier.Since learning to pace my days and week I am not driven by guilt and the madness that comes from trying to do all the things I want to do .At some time every one with this is told "learn to pace" If I could help anyone else try to cope with CFS better I would tell them the same thing and use anything and every thing you can to learn how .
My Fit Bit is helping me.
Keep up the fight !!!!

Best Answer

Sounds like you have the FULL gamut of chronic problems.

With Multiple sclerosis...I was trudging along pretty good until I relapsed about 6 weeks ago....

I just needed to have the fitbit to help me remember not to GIVE IN to sitting all day because of fatigue.  ITs one thing to be so dragging and tired you just sit all day....its another to PUSH yourself with even a small goal. 

For what FITBIT does, I can see results....I dropped 15 since January....need to lose at least 35 more.  My BP is down....I use fitness pal and let it interact with the fitbit.  I've never been impressed with how fitbit records food. I use fitness pal. and now....because moving is considered working my recovery and not overdoing....I think I will watch how many steps I'm getting in today....aiming for so many 2 weeks from now.  That would show true progress with me feeling and getting better.  ITS HARD.  My legs tend to be numb and will get cold and more numb if I do too much....but I can be better, its happened before....I can return to where I was in JUNE....

AND this is my LIFE, slow and steady and sustainable for the rest of my life.

It is not inevitable that my MS will progress.  But I do need to be attentive to making good choices.

(I'm off of the major MS drugs of this time...the ABCS....I'm kind of proud of that....no shots, no liver compromised, etc.)

Best Answer

Hello TB5, good for you! I too have cmt and wear afo's. I am likely much older than you as I've had afo's for 30 or so years. I'm impressed with your 100 mile goal - wow! My goals are much less but as long as I keep walking I'm happy. Best of luck.

Best Answer

Hello All - What a great group of go getters! I just started with fitbit today. I have CMT a progressive neuromuscular disease and ddd, I walk with a walker (afo’s) and use a scooter too. I liked that I could change the daily step goal, my start is only 500, but am half way there. Motivating to track my own mini marathon. 

Best Answer

Yes, thank you Speedy57 - if I stuck to just my disease group I'm be very alone. I tend to think we all have challenges, if not similar and need support. Best of luck! 

Best Answer

Good for you - yes the P word is a tough pill to swallow. Keep going.

Best Answer

Excellent Mary - no meds. I’m with... you be proud. I don’t have MS but similar and understand about the numbness etc. I walk with a walker - hmm I wonder how many others here do as well. I just hooked up today and my step goal for the day is 500. I know that sounds very low compared to others but it is mine and I love what you said - can be better. That’s my goal. Nice to find people like you here. Cheers!

Best Answer

Hello All - I am a newbie (today!) and wonder if anyone here also walks with a walker? I wanted to track my steps to try and step them up. I am starting at 500 a day, I know that is low compared to most but I am happy to find a way to least track and motivate myself to try for more. I am 58, have cmt and ddd and am pretty active considering. Nice to find this group. Susan

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello I recently bought my Fit Bit to motivate and encourage me to exercise(swim, water aerobice, walk in the neighborhood or treadmill, and lift a few weights. I hav had Fibrmyalgia for way too many years to count, and now have Rheumatoid Arthritis. The arthritis meds hel some but as soon as there's a weather change ,I really feel the aching all over. I have decide I will do whatever  I am able to do that day, even if it's just to straighten the house, or fix a nice meal! I do know that after I have done some form of physical activity my body stops aching, an I know it works both for Fibro and Arthritis. It's so hard to stay motivated though when I'm feeling lousy. I read someone's post that stated she works through the pain. I am going to try this next week to make a plan the night before to get to the gym regardless of how I feel. I'm going to look at "getting better health" as though I were geting up to go to work every day to make a living. I don't have a choice any more. As I get older and stiffer, my muscles are shortening from disuse and I figure I have at least 15-20 more years. I want to live them feeling more limber and flexible.

Best Answer

Never give up, Life is for living, making the best of whatever situation you are in, enjoying the best it can be, appreciating every little thing around us and enduring the worst trusting that it will quickly pass. Do what is best for you and your condition, you are answerable to no one other than yourself and your doctors and above all love the skin your in because you only get one body in this life so make it your goal to bring out the awesomeness within. You and only you can be your own best friend 3>

@Tashapus wrote:

I have suffered from benign myalgic encephalomyelitis/post viral fatigue syndrome since 2006 ever since I had mononucleosis. Only got the diagnosis late 2013 along with several others(some given 23 years late) X)

Struggles have been many and long on all levels. There was also discovered by accident that I had a benign but fast growing cyst inside my spinalcord december 2012. Was operated 12 feb 2013. Best possible outcome without removal would have been a lifespan of 5more years before all the organs would shut down for the last time after paralysis and a lot of pain of course. I was 23 years old when I got the news. Somehow weird for myself and others that someone my age would share a room at the hospital with someone in their 50-60 for heartop., that they could go home the next day but would take me 3 months before I could walk again and eat half a slice of a sandwich aftge minimum of 40 min. It was like I was back to start again were I needed assistance to be fed, turned in bed, to be groomed. Now I needed help to wipe my own arse X) 

Now ca.1 year and 2.5months later I can walk short walks, make my own food, do some easy housework a little at a time, taking care of my hygiene without assistance, do some strength training, though I still have bad days, most days are just ok or just coping. But I enjoy every little thing that so many take for granted and cannot fathom that some have to live without! Never give up and keep on fighting with determination!

Fitbit has helped me to keep track of my abilities and progress so as to aid doctors and myself to plan/readjust treatment when needed. 

But what I need is to find support in others that know the struggles, without having to educate them. beeing able to feel sorry for oneself when needed so one is ready to process natural emotions and move on without beeing told/treated as if one is lazy or making exuses for oneself. A kind of a safe zone, if you will.

I find it is hard to find this in others and in society for someone my age of 24. 

People allways expect so much and understand so little, that it gives the burden I already carry a lot heavier than it should be. It`s been hard enough to fight this within the "care" of the medical professions over several years before someone took me seriously enough to see me for who I am and what I could do.

I would like to surround myself with more people who understand, if not all, but a lot more than most.

Life is hard enough as it is without having to fight others all the time. Here I would like the support and encouragement that is hard to find elsewhere. So as to find more motivation to keep on fighting and to give that motivation to others who need it also.

Is there a group that I could fit in?

Best Answer