Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake accounts

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I’m very sick of getting friend requests from men who have no activity and only female friends. I have reported a Nigerian scammer to Fitbit and was told to block. One other male had near naked photos and again I reported and was told to block. In the past two weeks I’ve been friend requested at least 24 times by similar males. No activity. Widowers. Dog photos. Children. No activity. Only female friends. Others have discussed the blatant sex requests or money requests from males. This is harassment and a clear violation of the Community Rules we all agree to when we set up our accounts. Why is there no fraud investigation group?  I have considered getting out of Fitbit but I have gained so much and love my real friends. Why cannot Fitbit do something to enforce their own rules????????

Best Answer
176 REPLIES 176
Mine have been addressed by the Fitbit team. Thanks for your advice on how
to post appropriately though.
Best Answer

It is hard for Fitbit to identify an account as fake, mainly because when it comes to the software there is no such thing.

We call it fake because the account holder has created their account to hassle others.

While it is easier to detect an account that was created to spam the board, we have had a couple hundred posts from each of a few accounts within a few hours.

It is not as easy when there are only a dozen or so posts, or when they got PM.

Yes flagging may be a pain, but it currently is the best way to get the attention of a moderator. I flag several posts daily .

Best Answer

My understanding is then we’d get a message that this information is private. We women are tired of the defense since we are the ones that have been getting harassed when we are here for support of fitness. 

Best Answer

These are not necessarily men either. They are scammers wanting money  I get 2 to 3 per day. If you click on personal many times it says female but has a male photo up.  Disgusting 

Best Answer

I’ve heard that from many female Fitbit friends. I’ve also foolishing cheered or commented on friends posts that were to other than friends so got maybe 6-8 in a day again. But wait....2 had female pictures. No activity. Sob sappy stories. Same stuff so they were blocked too. 

Best Answer

Screenshot_20180918-123923.png

Best Answer

Hello everyone! 

If you have not, I'd like to ask you to get in touch with our support team about this situation, if you have been reached out by one of these users.

Feel free to ask if there are any further questions.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

While I appreciate your suggestion, please understand I have twice. The response was to block the user and report posts. That doesn’t stop the issue which is 7nrealistuc - but did nothing to slow it. I did it by getting rid of near,y 20” friends, leaving all groups, and  never cheering or posting to any friends posts that are not to only friends. I did still get a few a week, and was able to track some to friends that didn’t have their friends list as private. Those friends for the most part I then unfriended.   I’d tried changing my profile picture to my dog but that did t stop them either!  I have a statement on my profile to dint friend me if they have no activity but that did not seem to help either. 

I believe the core issue is Fitbit’s practice to allow these accounts without a Fitbit. There seems to be zero interest to protect the paying customers. I left a fair review in the AppStire and was co tatted by a monitor to contact the same place you referred me to. I don’t see the point. My alternatives are to quit all challenge groups and friends and use iFit but their app is unstable unlike Fitbit. Or just use Fitbit without group challenges. At this point while I miss the community posts and support, I’m hiding by keeping out of the groups. I did cheer someone’s post recently and braces for the incoming fake account friend requests and as predicted got 6-8 in a day or two. Those are gone so I will continuhe with great disappointment of Fitbit’s support of paying customers.  I have well over 100 users blocked but no one seems to care much. 

Best Answer

@casaroble - Awwwwww!  Those guys look so cute.  Give 'em a chance.

I would myself, but unfortunately, I'm a dude.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Nope dont give them a chance.  They are either scammers or just looking to get on chat somewhere for other reasons.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

this has happened to me three time in a week.  same type of situation.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunnerJust block them. Tap on the 3 dots upper corner and you will see how

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I have the same problem! So I'm looking for folks who are real people and NOT looking for a date. Can I be your friend? 

Best Answer
makes sense to me. yes lets be friends…if you find me, I will accept your friend request. not sure how to do that.

Sent from Windows Mail
Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey everyone.

@Blowe227 I understand where you are coming from. Please do know that receiving that information is indeed helpful to us. While at this moment blocking them is the only way to go about it, we are taking all of these comments seriously.

For anyone else, please remember that this is a help board and thus it is meant for users looking for help or assistance. If you'd like to add friend's to your Fitbit account feel free to visit this thread about that. Please try to post in there, any other posts about adding each other as friend's will be treated as off-topic and thus be removed.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Lanuza | Community Moderator

Remember to vote for posts that helped you out! Tired of the same workout music? Try a Podcast! 🙂

Best Answer

Thanks. I’ll consider contacting the source you mentioned. I hope Fitbit does take this seriously since we actually support you!  Appreciate all of your comments. 

Best Answer

I have gotten a few myself from women asking to go to hangouts and/or send them iTunes cards..

sort of disturbing...

Best Answer

If they are women!  I’ve had a male Nigerian pull that on me or try to. I realize that all social media has its issues. Stay safe and keep a low profile is my Fitbit motto now. I have wonderful friends to challenge with and that’s what I came here for. 

Best Answer

I changed my photo as well 

Best Answer

@Blowe227 wrote:

If they are women!  I’ve had a male Nigerian pull that on me or try to.

Right?!?  I had one woman connect with me, one thing led to another, and when we finally met, it was a dude!!

Actually, he made a pretty good omelette.

Best Answer