Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit band with medical alert symbol

I am a Type1 diabetic, and my doctor wants me to wear a medical alert identification at all times.  Big problem:  They're all UGLY!  I wish Fitbit would make and sell Fitbit bands that include the medical alert symbol.  Then we could "kill 2 birds with 1 stone!"
I wrote to Fitbit to make this request, and they suggested I come to a discussion board to see if others have the same wish.  I hope LOTS of you would be interested, and then maybe they'd do this for us!

Best Answer
104 REPLIES 104
Yep, Road ID is good in that they will print your message on a band that will fit on your Fitbit. Not so good because they don't use the MedicAlert symbol that EMTs are trained to look for.

That being said, I'm told that Road ID is very prevalent - especially where I live, in a popular endurance running and biking nexus - and as such may also attract the required attention.

I believe it's the best choice right now. Thank you very much for your response; good health!
Best Answer
I just ordered one and the medical alert symbol is just two dollars more
Best Answer
Did you order from Road ID? This is great news!
Best Answer
sure did! it's the metal parts so I can switch band colors when I
want..... totally excited to get it
Best Answer

Fitbit, this is a really good idea!  Funny thing is...a couple of us in our office were talking about how much easier it would be to have a medic alert band since we never take off the fitbits...two birds one stone...cooler looking...do it!  I surprised more of us haven't asked!

Best Answer

Oh and while I am add it...create a feature where we can program the condition or allergy into the fitbit itself...couple of taps...they can see my needs.

Best Answer

Good idea, @braun.60, but it may be asking too much. But I have a couple suggestions on how to make sure your medical info is available in case of emergency. 

1.)  I use Medical Alert on my iPhone 6. It allows me to input all my medical information and ICE contacts, then makes it available on the phone without having to put in a password. 

2.) The second suggestion is for a device I got for my Dad. You may be too young to want this but it is at least worth a look if your potential problems are life threatening. The device is called the Great Call Lively Mobile. My Dad wears it around his neck but it can easily go in a pocket or purse. I was able to enter his conditions, his Meds and who to call in case of emergency. You can enter more than one name/number and specify in what order anyone should be called. The unit has GPS so if you press the button, the caller knows where you are and your history. S/he determines whether to call 911 or someone on the ICE list. Dad has used it twice. It was a life saver. They do have a watch version with a "fitness" feature but it only counts steps. There is a monthly cost of about $15 but to me, the peace of mind is worth every penny.

Best Answer

Road ID makes one that you can attach to your fitbit.

https://www.roadid.com/p/Road-ID-for-Fitbit-Alta-and-Alta-HR?SC=RoadID

Best Answer

I like that! Thanks for bringing it to our attention, @MissySantiago!

Best Answer

I found some simple cable bands at NStyle ID. It's just three thin metal cable-style bands. Simple. Not ugly. You can even switch out the tag and use it with multiple bracelets. I've purchased 4 and am happy with them. 

You can also switch out the bands on newer the newer Fitbits. There might be some that you could have engraved/personalized. 

Hope this helps! 

Best Answer
Thanks! It's good of you to share.

Carol
Best Answer

Good idea.  Have you also tried other silicone band makers such as Mediband.com which has silicone medical ID, or Handband.com.au who can make specific types of ID bands.

Best Answer

I agree or like a special silicone personizable cover band or protector road I'd has a stainless steel fit bit I'd but I wanted one more discrete with writing on the inside and that's more confortable

Best Answer

Unfortunately, @Sweet_angel0412, many of us are still looking for a better solution. Quite a few have posted their requests to the Feature Request Board. Feel free to add your own request or vote for the ones already posted. If enough of us keep making the request, Fitbit may come up with a solution. In the mean time, I wear a Medical alert necklace. 

Best Answer

That would be okay but I don't want to have to wear more than one thing on my wrist. I obviously wear a fitbit and if fitbit didn't exist I would just wear a watch.

Best Answer

I called roadid.com they have medical alert badges super cheap for the fitbit depending on which fitbit u have

Best Answer

Thanks. I am going to call them.

Best Answer

I also had this issue - I have epilepsy.  I went for a Tagnix medical alert which goes onto my Charge 2 strap with no problems.  They are based in the UK, but ship worldwide as far as I am aware (mine was sent outside of the UK but within Europe), and the service was very quick.  Contact info:

https://tagnix.co.uk/shop/watch-tags/#!/Watch-Tag-Large/p/46727045/category=12128197

Best Answer

Thanks for the update, @JanJanW!

Best Answer
Thanks! Many folks will appreciate your post.

Be well
MizGriz
Best Answer