Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seniors

Hi,  I am 65 years old.  I am looking for friends that are retired and just starting out.  I just got my FitBit for Christmas, as so far loving it.  I would love to have some friends in my age group and fitness level to work with and help to keep me motivated.  

Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132

58 here just started using the Fitbit add me!

Best Answer

Look forward to working with you Freedy! Good luck on your journey! 

Best Answer

Hi I'm 62 and just got my fitbit for Christmas too. I'm OCD with this thing. I have been really a couch potato and this has got me moving. I love watching the logs. I notice it logs steps when I'm on the bike. I also like to see it record my heart rate.  

Best Answer
Hello. I find the same thing. As soon as I put it on I’m aware all day to remind myself to get moving. I’ve been away from it for about a year. I had been reaching 10,000 steps daily and sometimes 12,000. I have to admit I’m only at 2,000 now but am working on it. I have a balance issue and osteoporosis as well as two knee replacements. That’s still no excuse. I work out on a gazelle. Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing. My Fitbit is a flex. Which one do you have

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

I have the Charge 2, love it!

Best Answer

I am 65, going on 66 in September.  I need some friends my age.  I am new to fitbit.  Kay

Best Answer

53 years old. Started using my FitBit Charge2 last December.  🙂

Best Answer
Hello.
I’m 73 and having a problem getting motivated. It’s so much nicer to pole walk in the good weather. I’m from Canada and it’s still very damp here. I have a gazelle to walk on in the house. It’s like a cross country ski machine. Your legs swing and arms move. The only thing I seem to be doing any good at is eating well. I have recently changed my entire way of eating and I must say that I feel so much better. I have osteoporosis and suffer with balance issues. Let me know how you’re doing & pass on any tips you have.

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi Norma,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, just wanted you to know I got this!
I work, so I'll make a longer reply to you this weekend, but wanted to
thank you for the note.

Regards
Karen
Best Answer
Hi Kay!
Sorry for the delay, I'm 66 and still working!
Just wanted to let you know I received this and will touch back in greater
length this weekend.
Thanks for the note!

Karen
Best Answer

I am 65, going to be 66 in September.  I watched my mother in law die from complications with alzeimers disease about 2 years ago.  Now my father in law is in the final stages of Parkinson's disease.  My father had a double stroke that put him in a nursing home in the last 2 years.  On a lighter side, my mother is going on 90 years old and lives independently in her own home.  

Bearing the weight of all these events made me realize that I needed to get up and get moving.  The more moving, the better I feel.  I need to lose some weight, but my biggest challenge is to stop being a couch potato.  

I have made great progress in the first 10 days of receiving my Ionic fitbit.  I love it dearly. It (and people like you) give me inspiration and the motivation to live a better and healthier life.  

Kay

Best Answer

I am new to fitbit too.  Just started using it 10 days ago.  Making wonderful progress.  Love the stats it gives me.  It motivates me.  And, people like yourself, motivate me too.  I am sort of competitive (in a nice way).

Kay

Best Answer

Hi again,Norma!

Wow, Canada, you're about the farthest away fried i've made! I am 66, grew up in Miami, Fl and now live in Tampa for 20+ years. No kids, and my brother is here and my nieces, one of which just had a baby boy. I am so excited about my Fitbit, I stopped smoking after 30 years taking Chantix (quit 2 mos ago) and I gained 23 pounds! I'm 5'10', have always been slender except for about the last 10 years.
My best friend (a youngun just turned 50) got one with her husband and that got me started back on the road to fitness.
I'm a 4 time cancer survivor, ovarian in '97, colon in 2002 and 2015 (also facial melanoma in 2015)
Diagnosed with sleep apnea and heart disease last year. That's one thing about getting older, I feel like the Dutch boy trying to plug up the dike; one thing gets fixed and another health issue springs up!😳
I've been pretty sedentary since my cancers in 2015, so I look at my fitbit as my own personal trainer..I've named her Flora..lol. I have the Charge 2, which I love for all the data it tracks; it really helps me watch my heart rate when walking and helps me not overdo it. I've lost 6.5 pounds since I started 2 weeks ago and also went on a low carb diet, which has increased my energy. I'm shooting to lose 30 lbs more. I'm still working 8 hrs a day, 5 day week, so the increase in stamina really helps. I make sure I get 7 hrs sleep, the fitbit also is really helpful showing me my sleep patterns.
Let me know how your experience with Fitbit has been working so far.

God Bless and keep it up!

Karen

Best Answer
Hi Karen

You sure have been through a lot. Good for you exercising and trying to get fit. I find that I’m feeling better than I have in years. I also am a cancer survivor. I had breast cancer 35 years ago. I had a total hysterectomy as a precaution. I have always been about 25 pounds overweight but at my age I have finally come to the conclusion that feeling great is what’s important. I have totally changed my way of eating. I no longer eat processed food and eat “clean” ( I eat 2 fruits, 1 grain, 4 fats and protein at every meal) per day. No grains at dinner and no eating after eight. This is a new fad in Toronto with over 8 thousand people on Facebook following it. So far I have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks. Don’t you find it is so much harder to lose as we age? My husband has cancer and taking one day at a time. I have two daughters and 3 grandchildren who are all over 20 now. My Fitbit is the flex, I believe it is the first one they put out. I am thinking of getting one that checks your heart beat. Take care and let me know how your doing. I sure would love to live in Florida but health care is a problem in the USA. I’m sending good vibes your way.

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer

What is pole walking?

Best Answer
0 Votes
[image1.jpeg]
It’s like cross country skiing but not on snow. It’s very popular with seniors in Canada

Norma
Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@tangleboxThanks @Norma73. I use the Nordic Poles occasionally because it eases my lower back situation.  These are the ones I use.. It eases the downward pressure on my lower back stenosis..

@tangleboxwrote:

What is pole walking?

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 79 and retired.  Every day is Saturday.  I enjoy an average of 10,000 steps a day.  At my age, I can always use and need a friend.

Best Answer
Wow 10,000 steps. Good for you. How do you do it. On a machine, with poles or just plain old walking. I must say I’m not very active in the winter bit once the weather changes I start to pole walk. I have a balance issue and require a cane, walker or poles. Any tips tp inspir3 me would be appreciated.

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Norma73I'm only 78.5, and younger than @Marathon101 and my daughter is telling everyone I'm 80 next year... She is 50 and likes the way her dad looks..

For inspiration I can only suggest...... keep moving..... and this article helps us sum up the cause and effect.. My wife passes this test... On the phone she is washing dishes, ironing or folding, that's her in my image profile. When I say on the phone I have 6 in-laws on my wife's side who are in there 80's and the phone runs hot.. So hot, we have 3 landlines.... It's amazing when one rings, a couple of minutes later another...

What type of balance issue do you have.?

I did have a lifetime average of 10,000 steps/day until last year and that has dropped to 8,500 mainly because of lower back stenosis. If I have soreness I use the poles if I'm doing a fair bit of downhill walking because that helps my back.. I have no sciatica now because my total hip replacement fixed that 3 years ago.

I only use my legs, no treadmills or gym.. My physio wants me to start using my exerbands.

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer