Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seniors

Hi,  I am 65 years old.  I am looking for friends that are retired and just starting out.  I just got my FitBit for Christmas, as so far loving it.  I would love to have some friends in my age group and fitness level to work with and help to keep me motivated.  

Best Answer
132 REPLIES 132
Hello.

I have had silent mini strokes in my cerebellum which controls balance . It is not limiting me as long as I have support. I just don’t seem to get motivated.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Norma73We have to conjure up our methods of motivation. I tell my self, what's the alternative when you read the next para. You are on top of your issue and all you need is the warmer weather..  Even chair exercises which others in the Forums are doing.. My 54 year old daughter has purchased her standup desk for her home.. She is on her feet most of the day teaching others to sew so she recognizes the possible issues.

In my case my younger siblings have been afflicted with various issues and out of the 5 of us, and me the oldest, I was the one who participated in sport.. I don't think that has anything to do with their problems. Lost my sister with pneumonia, my youngest brother had a stroke at 67 caused my mini peripheral clots, a year later they found he had a rogue gene in his bone marrow causing the clots.. He will enter a nursing home next week at 70...... the other brother with an enlarged heart and recently 2 x stents, and my other sister with heart valve issues.. We can't comprehend the cards we are dealt.

I produced a medical genealogical chart and my doctors could not find a correlation.. Mum died at 91 with some form of dementia which I feel was a form of vascular dementia caused by her micro clots, Dad at 86 a cripple, couldn't walk.. All of my Grandparents died young 67- 77.. So with that, my incentive is to keep the brain active, ensure I walk and keep on my feet..

After my hip replacement I found the poles were a great help.. Even to the stage where my hip surgeon had me "back off"... You Fitbitters #@!$%, he said... and with a possible 10 years life on a hip replacenment one has to be mindful of that.... so I'm motivated to keep going..

@Norma73 wrote:
Hello.

I have had silent mini strokes in my cerebellum which controls balance . It is not limiting me as long as I have support. I just don’t seem to get motivated.

Sent from my iPhone

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

@Norma73I agree with @Colinm39 I was not aware of all the chair exercises out there. But they have them for just about anything you want to do!

I saw one for Chair Boxing the other day. I do Box a lot and if it comes down to it I will buy the chair one if I need to.

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

Nice to hear from a young Lady.

I was training for a marathon 4 years ago.  I had 3 teeth implants (upper front) one morning and that evening I had a stroke.  I feel I was in pretty good shape, for my age, so it could have been worse.  Report says some brain loss, but heck nearing 80, I don't feel I need to be the sharpest knife in the drawer  No more running for me.  Stroke has caused a balance problem but I can live with it.  I only use a cane for balance the first 10 minutes after I get up and at night.  Every day is Saturday so I enjoy getting out.  Hope your weekend is going well.

Best Answer

Keep up the good work! 

Best Answer

Gail 1

Nice to hear from you.  All day's are in the 90's so I get up early to do my walk with a little jogging on good days.  Three days this past month have been below 10,000, but I can live with that.  I hope all is well with you.  Enjoy the summer.

Marathon 101

Best Answer

Norma 73

Nice to hear from you.  My steps, and a touch of jogging, are outside.  If I go out at night, I use poles for balance.  Because of a stroke, I also use poles the first ten minutes every day and going to the bathroom at night.  Being retired, every day is Saturday.  Keep moving; knowing it is good for your health, happiness and having a good outlook on life.

Marathon 101

Best Answer

@Marathon101@Gail1@WendyB@Norma73 @tanglebox and many others in this topic..

Motivation is always difficult... But the alternative is worse.. The five of us are overcoming our afflictions and we know that will improve.. I'm even eating oats with yogurt and 20ml of olive oil.for breakfast.. Just a test because my Cholesterol and Glucose is within limits but slightly high. No trend and my GP doesn't want to do another blood test in 6 weeks time..

I will come online with other gadgets soon because I have given up waiting for Fitbit to release their offerings for HRV, SP02 and AFib.

Yesterday one of Australia's leading cardiologists. discussed this product in the link below and he was happy with the results we will get. It's only $199 in AUS and works on Android and iPhone.

https://www.alivetec.com/

I have also ordered a finger SPO2 device from Amazon $30USD. For me it's to compare my HR because of my missing heart beat and hr  which gets down to 44 at night.. Also to compare Fitbit's future offerings and my Cardio Fitness score..

Smiley HappyAnother way to keep the brain active and stave off potential dementia. My daughter skips one of my birthdays and tells people I'm 80 next year... Smiley Embarassed

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
Best Answer

Keep moving and walk as many steps as you can.  I like to do 12k but have something going on so last few days stepping just 3k for the day.  Either it’s allergy or inner ear. Might need tubes in my ears 🙄 take care. 

Best Answer

I am a 65 year old senior, & I am fairly new to Fitbit. I walk my dog 2 times a day, & I walk 4 to 5 miles a day. I would like to connect with other seniors.      June

Best Answer
0 Votes
Hi June
I’m 74 next month. I don’t have the stamina you do. Good for you. I have balance issues but have not given up. I need motivation.

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Norma, keep up your good work. Keeping active will increase your flexibility, and is good for your heart. I will be 66 this month. Both my parents have had high blood pressure, and heart problems at my age. My father had a major heart attack at 65, and my mother had coronary bypass surgery at 67 years old. I have had a good blood pressure, and pulse, without any signs of heart disease. In my 30’s I was a long distance bike rider, and I was able to ride 50 miles, before working an 8 hour shift as a nurse. I also did roller blading, and I was able to skate up to 21 miles. I have seen the positive results of keeping active. I believe that keeping active, will help me age gracefully. June

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I will be 80 in October.  I had a stroke, with brain damage 4 years ago.  Balance is a problem, especially at night.  I decided to retire as of January 1st.  I started going to the gym as well as walking.  My legs have gotten stronger and I have only fallen once, trying to jog, since January.  My motivation is knowing I am getting stronger and knowing I can do better.  My goal is a marathon in October.  The doctor said it would not happen but we don't know until we try.  Hang in there.  Believe in yourself.

Marathon 101

Cliff

Best Answer
Cliff you are amazing, & an inspiration. I have been retired 4 years, at 62. It is amazing that you worked so long. I can not go far from home, because my mother is 90, & I am her caregiver because she is confused. I am happy to have a dog to walk with. I have never enjoyed running. The last time I ran was in the army when I was in my 20’s. I do want to get back cycling again. I have met a lot of nice people in my neighborhood, from my walking. You have a lot of determination, so keep running, with your goal of running a marathon. I have ridden a century 100 mile bike ride when I was in my 30’s. June

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Marathon101, I love your attitude & determination!  I am rapidly nearing your age, and have had a number of health issues, but I keep very active.  As I was recovering from spine surgery that was necessitated by 3 crushed vertebrae in a bike accident, the doctor told me I might never walk again, but that was then and this is now - I typically walk 5 miles a day in addition to my gardening hobbies. I'm not up to running a marathon, though I ran a number of them in my younger years, but I certainly believe you can if you want to! Keep on Keeping On!

Best Answer
Great

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
You are amazing. Stay healthy and happy

Norma

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes
Larry, I see you are, or were in the Air Force. I was in the Army Reserves in the 70’s, & 80’s. I was active duty in the 70’s for my nursing training, & the VA paid for my RN education. A lot of my determination comes from the army, & the believe that I can do anything if I want it bad enough. I do not like the attitude of civilian doctors. I was told that I had degenerative disc disease of my neck, in my 30’s & that if I rode a bike with dropped handle bars I would not make it to retirement. Well guess what, I proved him wrong. Sorry to hear about your serious bike accident, but it is encouraging to see how well you recovered, & how active you are. You have motivated me, & I hope you get back to running. June

Sent from my iPad
Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, @Junebug624, I am retired AF.  I am a very self-motivated and determined person - my wife refers to it as "stubborn" - and I have never stopped exercising since my days in the military. In spite of a hit-and-run driver nearly killing me, I still love bike riding, too.   When people complain that they can't do long walks, I tell them "then walk as far as you can, and the next day walk a little further."  

Soar With The Eagles.jpg

Best Answer

Larry.  Walking 5 miles is probably 10,000 steps, so with gardening and other activities you are doing well-above average for your age.  I have a good bicycle put I got tired of cars going past me at 30 miles an hour only 3 feet away.  It's hanging in my garage.  Walking/jogging is a little safer.  Friend me, if you like.  Our steps are close.  Have a good summer.

Marathon 101

Cliff

Best Answer
0 Votes