Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A little bit disappointed with Fitbit smartwatch features

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Originally I was going to post this as a review on BestBuy website but i decided against it because I like fitbit and I feel uneasy to leave bad reviews for awesome company. Instead I decided to post this here in hope that Fitbit can read this and perhaps update us on feature plans with Blaze. 

I am long time Fitbit user. I do like Fitbit products and I think Fitbit is a great company with awesome customer service. I was excited about owning Blaze because I could get everything what Fitbit HR offers with addition of phone notifications in attractive packaging.

However my feelings are mixed now once I got Blaze. First Blaze is large but rather attactive looking device.It would be impossible for someone not to notice it on your hand! It really covers good chunk of wrist. The screen is nice and bright with vibrant colors. I have read that the screen is made of Corning Gorilla Glass 3 so it should be scratched resistant. I do get all features of Charge HR plus personal trainer (with FitStar membership at very reasonable $50CAN a year)  and selection of individual workouts for better, more accurate tracking. 

So up to now everything is AWESOME

Now the phone "smartwatch features". Long story short they are dissapointing. 

I understand that Blaze is not positioned as direct competition to other smartwatches like Apple or Androidwear and frankly I do not need apps on my watch however I think it is not too much to ask to get all notifications.

So right now you can get notifications from one (1) app, so if you use both Whatsupp and text messages than you are out of luck because you can only receive messages from one of them. popular messaging apps like Blackberry Messanger (100 million downloads on Google Play) are not supported at all which is another disappointment.

I can get calendar notifications but i cannot receive email notifications. So current options defeated reason of upgrading to Blaze.

Blaze should get email ,phone,text (all major apps),calendar and perhaps (but not necessary at least for me). major social media notifications to be truly useful. Otherwise you are end up going to your phone to check messages most of the time. So why do i need Blaze smartphone features for then.

I know Fitbit blaze is not expensive for "smartwatch" but frankly I would rather pay extra money for the device and actually get everything what is really needed to replace other smartwatches and get the best fitness tracker on the planet. 

Best Answer
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

FWIW on Android there is an app called BitTicker that will send email to the Blaze. 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

it is appleas and oranges.

As an earlier post mentioned.....Apple is a smartwacth with a few fitness functions.

Blaze is a fitness band packaged to look more sleek like a smart watch.  Fitbit has never called the blaze a "smartwatch" (at least that I am aware of).

I don't need apps on my wrist, I just want my tracker to have a couple of little bells and whistles, and not look like a piece of rubber on my wrist like the Charge HR.  Comparing the Apple and the Blaze is really not fair to either.  

Even if I wanted a smartwatch, charging EVERY DAY is kind of a deal breaker.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
46 REPLIES 46

You know, this is a very debatable subject.  Everyone has their opinions, and each will be different.  I myself have been enjoying the Blaze.  It does everything I want/need it to do.  Do I want it to be a smart watch? No.  If I did, I would have bought an Apple Watch.  I don't need all those features - I have my phone to do that.  Am I a hard core athlete?  Again, No.  This device suits my needs and wants to my satisfaction.  

Not trying to turn this into a debate - just to each their own.  Possibly in the future Fitbit will give some more options/features down the road with updates.

Hope all have a great day!

Kelly | Oklahoma
Alta HR, Blaze, Flex 2, Charge 2, Charge, and Aria * IPhone 7+

Best Answer

it is pretty awesome device. as a tracker is one of its kind indeed however i do think that i should be able to see emails and all notifications on it. if i can see text messages, i should be able to see other notificartions as well. i do not need apps on my watch. 

Best Answer

As I read your review I thought of a discussion I have had with several people about the 'Fitbit Blaze' - The answer is simple. 

Fitbit Blaze is a Fitness watch with smart features.

Apple Watch/360/samsung watch is a Smart watch with fitness features. 

If you want all the notification of every app on your phone you should look into buying one of those watches. It is also most likely why the battery life for those are so sad. 

Best Answer

i think what makes smartwatch a smartwatch is ability to put apps on it not being able to receive notifications.i do not have need for apps but i do think that i should be able to receive messages from all sources. right now you can do it with one but you can choose  either whats up or text messages etc. i think fitbit should be able to add option to do it all and included emails. this would make fitbit perfect tracker with smart phone features.

I am not sure about your comment regarding battery life because pebble smartwatches have same 5 day battery life and they can receive all notifications.

Nonetheless Blaze is pretty good. I do like it but i think fitbit should be able to do more here. 

Best Answer

What I don't understand is how people complain about the feature set AFTER they purchase the device.  The feature set is out there, and can be reviewed.  I think it's pretty clear what the device does and doesn't do.  I reviewed all of that BEFORE purchase, and knew what I was getting into.  Did you think it would have email notifications? Did you think it would have social app notifications? 

Best Answer

valid point actually. it does not say anywhere that emails or social notifications are supported but it does say it receives text messages. so i would assume that it is for all major apps, whatsup,bbm,text messages.

I am just saying fitbit should improve on it. 

Best Answer

@Anomoly wrote:

As I read your review I thought of a discussion I have had with several people about the 'Fitbit Blaze' - The answer is simple. 

Fitbit Blaze is a Fitness watch with smart features.

Apple Watch/360/samsung watch is a Smart watch with fitness features. 

If you want all the notification of every app on your phone you should look into buying one of those watches. It is also most likely why the battery life for those are so sad. 

Honestly, Garmin makes better fitness watches AND full smartphone notifications. By better fitness watch, I mean better HR during exercise, swim proof, more detailed fitness info, watch display is configurable to your needs, etc.

Fitbit is sadly behind the times. They use iOS/Android Notification Centers, and therefore automatically have access to all notifications, but they chose to limit it to phone calls, calendar, and texts. Why? We don't know. The Fitbit CEO hinted at improving notifications in recent interviews, its easy to do.

I've got a smartwatch, my phone stays in my pocket. I review and dismiss notifications on my wrist, and stay focused on my job without pulling out phone and getting distracted. Don't knock wrist notifications until you've tried them. And battery life? I get a full day even with 1-3 hours of exercise tracking. And it charges at night with my phone. No problem if I want HR or sleep tracking, just 15-30 minutes charge before bed, and charge again in morning while getting ready for work.

I've tried sleep tracking many times - with Flex and Force - the info Fitbit gives me isn't actionable. I'm a data geek, but sleep tracking seems pointless so I stopped sleep tracking and give my wrist a rest at night (I don't wear my wedding ring to bed either).

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

I have to agree with the OP on this one.  I had a Charge HR which I loved and the only reason I upgraded to the Blaze was for text, email and phone notifications on my wrist since I usually have my phone on silent at work.  Only allowing one text app and no email apps to notify is definitely a shortcoming that I wasn't aware of when I purchased it.  I'm still very happy with it, but at this point, I could've stuck with the Charge HR and been good enough.  Hopefully Fitbit is able to beef up the notifications a bit which would make this a perfect device for my use.

Best Answer

@cochrasc wrote:

I have to agree with the OP on this one.  I had a Charge HR which I loved and the only reason I upgraded to the Blaze was for text, email and phone notifications on my wrist since I usually have my phone on silent at work.  Only allowing one text app and no email apps to notify is definitely a shortcoming that I wasn't aware of when I purchased it.  I'm still very happy with it, but at this point, I could've stuck with the Charge HR and been good enough.  Hopefully Fitbit is able to beef up the notifications a bit which would make this a perfect device for my use.

I am with you, but you already got phone notification on the HR as well.  I like the blaze though simly for the pure look, and the ability to interchange bands so I don't always have a cheap-looking black rubberband on my wrist.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW on Android there is an app called BitTicker that will send email to the Blaze. 

Best Answer

hey thank you for the tip! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue wrote:

Hey I just bought this app and it works like a charm! Thank you. $2 well spent. Now i get true smartwatch LOL!

Best Answer
0 Votes

What's funny is.. none of the retailers here in my area have the Fitbit Blaze out for display. Seriously wtf? People won't even know it's at the stores since it's not out on the shelves. I checked Walmart last night, didn't see anything. I went to Best Buy today and went to the Fitbit section and didn't see one on display and there wasn't any on the shelves, nor were there any price tags or spots for them.  I checked the store website and selected "Store pickup" and they said they were available to buy today so I asked an associate. He said "Oh yeah we have them, we just aren't putting them out" Okay.. what's the point then? I asked to see one and went and got one and it was in the box. I said "Oh darn, I was hoping to see how it looked in person" he was like "Yeah we can't open the box. It's a great device though!" Yeah well.. I can't even get an idea of how big it is or how it looks in person, so disappointing. I know it's not Fitbit's fault, more the retailers. I gues I will try Target and another Best Buy near me to see if they have them out

Best Answer
0 Votes
For me, the call and text notification is all I wanted and needed, hence buying the Blaze and retiring my Pebble watch. Getting every Facebook notification is not a good thing to me and very distracting in my working life. As an on call homebirth midwife I DO however live in constant fear of missing a phone call (responses have to be rapid at times) and the watch really helps with that. I'm happy so far.
Best Answer

Other than the fact I ordered an Xtra Large but was sent a Large, I decided to be very open minded with my first Fitbit.

My observations: Cheap strap, a small screen considering the size of the "watch" face, a general poor tap response, notifications that do not wake the watch up (unless I am missing something). All in all, overpriced and underspecced, but backed up by an excellent Customer Service and a decent App.

I wouldn't recommend the Blaze.

Best Answer

If you want a smart watch with a few fitness tracking features get an apple watch or an android wear watch.

If you want a great fitness watch with a few notification features get a fitbit Blaze.

I only need to know if someone is calling or texting me. If i need to know anything else, i will check my phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rescue141x wrote:

What's funny is.. none of the retailers here in my area have the Fitbit Blaze out for display. Seriously wtf? People won't even know it's at the stores since it's not out on the shelves. I checked Walmart last night, didn't see anything. I went to Best Buy today and went to the Fitbit section and didn't see one on display and there wasn't any on the shelves, nor were there any price tags or spots for them.  I checked the store website and selected "Store pickup" and they said they were available to buy today so I asked an associate. He said "Oh yeah we have them, we just aren't putting them out" Okay.. what's the point then? I asked to see one and went and got one and it was in the box. I said "Oh darn, I was hoping to see how it looked in person" he was like "Yeah we can't open the box. It's a great device though!" Yeah well.. I can't even get an idea of how big it is or how it looks in person, so disappointing. I know it's not Fitbit's fault, more the retailers. I gues I will try Target and another Best Buy near me to see if they have them out

i had the same thing at best buy. i wanted to see it first but they would not do this for me. i've got to say that in my opinion looks way better than apple watch or many android watches. there is not a single tracker that can touch this fitbit in terms of looks. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@bcalvanese wrote:

If you want a smart watch with a few fitness tracking features get an apple watch or an android wear watch.

If you want a great fitness watch with a few notification features get a fitbit Blaze.

I only need to know if someone is calling or texting me. If i need to know anything else, i will check my phone.

i bought app as suggested here called BitTicker and it works like a charm. Now i get all notifications i want on my watch. i do not care anymore if fitbit provides official update or not but in my opinion they should. it is all about competition and there should be option to provide more or less notifications. so users like you chose less options and users like me will pick more options. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ancientferguson wrote:

Other than the fact I ordered an Xtra Large but was sent a Large, I decided to be very open minded with my first Fitbit.

My observations: Cheap strap, a small screen considering the size of the "watch" face, a general poor tap response, notifications that do not wake the watch up (unless I am missing something). All in all, overpriced and underspecced, but backed up by an excellent Customer Service and a decent App.

I wouldn't recommend the Blaze.

designwise i like blaze. it looks different. frankly i prefer blaze design to apple watch. apple watch looks ...average. fitbit took more design risks with blaze and like that.

Best Answer
0 Votes