Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Active minutes and calories

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Fitbit tracked me as having 300 minutes of being active while I was sleeping. The watch was on the nightstand and recorded that. Also everyday I have been starting with 500 calories burned even though the watch is on the nightstand. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, @Dnacho_01 , the calories you are seeing are calculated by the app. and are based on the profile information you enter when you set up your account: your gender, age, height and weight.  These are called BMR calories, amd are the calories you burn just staying alive -- keeping your heart beating, respiration, digestion, even your brain dreaming burns calories.  In fact for most people these calories are the majority burned in the day.  It's counted each day from midnight, so if you wake up with 500 calories burned that is what the app calculates your body has burned since midnight.

Once you are wearing your Fitbit it will add to the BMR calories any calories it detects from activities, giving you your daily total.

As for the active minutes, that is a little harder to explain.  However this can happen especially if the Fitbit is near a source of vibration, which it could detect as activity.  So if there is a fan or dehumidifier or something similar near the Fitbit that can cause this.  In fact, even resting it on a computer processor can create enough vibration to fool the Fitbit into thinking you are active...

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
Thanks for the info, this helps.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
Best Answer