Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze - Cardio Fitness Score Showing as "Range" after 30 + GPS Runs - How Does Elevation Factor In?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hello,

I have been tracking runs using my Blaze and iPhone's GPS since February of this year (2017). For the entire duration, I have kept my Fitbit and phone up to date (current Blaze version is 8.402.1).

I have been running almost every weekend, with ranges of 3.1 - 6.2 miles, and have been running with various levels of intensity (sometimes full cardio, sometimes several minutes of peak, etc.). For some reason, my Cardio Fitness Score is still an estimate (46-50) instead of an exact number (i.e. 47).

In reading other responses to similar issues, I realize that these runs must occur on "flat land" in order for the Fitbit app to use the data for a more accurate score, so I checked the "GPS Details" screen on my computer and confirmed that for many of my runs, the difference in elevation is ±10 feet (begins at 122 feet, reaches 132 feet at 0.5 miles, then goes back down to 122 feet).

Is this the actual reason that I am still seeing a range? I do not have access to a gym and have to run roadside, and it doesn't seem like an elevation increase of 10 feet per mile would impact heart rate or other factors significantly enough to disrupt this function.

Before I realized that there was a "GPS Details" screen, I ran for 10+ minutes today at a 7:14 pace, hoping that running at a more intense pace would trigger something, but I still see a range. The elevation change for this run was +40 feet, so I could understand if that is a factor. Still, I'm disappointed that even this didn't seem to work.

However, my spouse has a Charge 2 and received a precise Cardio Fitness Score after we ran a 5K up a mountainside (drastic elevation change), so I'm not sure why I'm having difficulties seeing a specific score instead of a range. This seems to completely counter the "run on flat land" suggestion that I see some users post.

My GPS/ cellular data seems to be connected for each entire run, and I do not see any breaks in my heart rate for the recorded data, so I do not think that is the problem. I have recorded over 30 GPS runs this year and I have run out of ideas to get a more accurate Cardio Fitness Score.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I've tried looking through the forums but have not found any solution that seems to work for me.

Thanks in advance!

- RunningTiger

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Hi, @RunningTiger, it sounds like you might be using the iPhone GPS from the Fitbit app.  

In order to get a precise cardio fitness score you will need to use the "connected GPS" feature of the Blaze, and you must start the run from the Blaze itself (using exercise shortcut screen) not on the phone.  On the Blaze swipe to the exercise screen and tap.  Scroll until you come to "run".  Tap the gear icon on bottom left and make sure "use phone GPS" is on.  Hit the left button to return to the run screen.  Tap the screen.  The next screen will show that the Blaze is trying to connect to the phone.  When the connection is successful you will see "let's go".  Tap the right bottom and start your run.  You may want to check your wrist occasionally while running to make sure it stays connected for at least 10 minutes. (if it disconnects you will see a phone icon with a red line through it).

Here's an informaton post about connected GPS.  

I hope this helps.  Welcome to the forums!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Julia_G.

Thank you for your response. I am indeed using the "connected GPS" feature of the Blaze as you have suggested.

I have been running the entire process through the Fitbit app (not the phone's GPS app) and perform all controls through my Blaze.

I also use the Blaze to confirm how long I am running (yesterday, my Blaze confirmed that I ran longer than 10 minutes and did not show a "disconnected" icon). To confirm, my Blaze shows "Use Phone GPS" as "On" for the Run feature, and I make sure that the Blaze is connected to my phone before starting any run.

Just to provide further clarification, I followed all of these steps prior to each of the runs described in my initial post. My Blaze and phone seem to be communicating correctly and remain connected for the duration of each run.

Unfortunately, these steps do not seem to be a part of the problem I am having.

- RunningTiger

Best Answer
0 Votes