Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Firmware Release - 17.8.301.8

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Firmware version 17.8.301.8 - Resolves a syncing issue with Apple iOS version 10.2

Workout mode missing? Not a problem! Just follow the steps for adding it back

Hey everyone! Robot Happy

We're rolling out a new update for Blaze, release notes below: 

• In addition to call, text, and calendar event notifications, thirdpartyapps.jpgyou can receive notifications from email and other third-party apps on your tracker.Common emojis also appear. Keep in mind all notifications currently on your tracker will be deleted after the update.
  • You can receive reminders to move throughout the day.
  • Five new clock faces are available. Navigate to your device settings and check them out!

Moment.pngCircuit.pngAce.pngNautical.pngArgyle.png

This release also resolves the following issue:

• Some users reported that auto-brightness was too dim or delayed.

Important to note: A sync is required after a manual shutdown or a battery drain in order to show the correct time on Blaze. This is especially important for your activity tracked by Blaze because you'll want to make sure it's associated with the current date and time.

Andrew | Community Moderator, Fitbit

What motivates you?

Best Answer
895 REPLIES 895

I was having a hard time getting the upgarde to Start, So i turned my Blaze on and off and bingo its updating as i speak.

go to setting to shut down Blaze.

Push  button to restart.... atealeast that what i did.

I am in California

Best Answer
0 Votes

Anyone in Australia got the update yet? I've been waiting for what seems like an enternity now.

Best Answer

Same over in New Zealand , very patiently waiting looking forward to it 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I received the update today. Not sure what the issue is, but the update took about 45 minutes on my Galaxy S7. The initial setup took almost as long, as did my son's with his S6. Is this an Android issue?
Best Answer

null 

Best Answer

Dude. Chill. Fitbit's given perfectly reasonable explanations for why they roll their software out this way.

It seems to be utterly shocking to some people that, yes, companies roll their software out this way. Like all of the time. The reason some companies like Apple don't is because they have a beta program. Fitbit doesn't. All sorts of tech companies use this technique. Heck, when Apple wasn't the single biggest company in the history of humanity, they used this technique for iOS updates and the like. 

This is a perfectly reasonable, cost effective way of managing software. The thing that makes this so ironic is that if Fitbit had initially released their software to all of the customers, we all would be swimming in a very bad bug right now. What would the unbearably loud response from the forums be?

"[insert explitive of your choice here], Fitbit, why didn't you test the flipping watch better?!?"

Look. The update is being rolled out as we speak. Fitbit isn't an anomaly for using this method of seeding out firware. 

I disagree with the way Fitbit's been advertising these features for like, ever, and some comments from the mods make me think that Fitbit noticed how dumb that was. But, guess what, too late for that at this moment, and now people are getting their firmware. 

Patience is a virtue. Don't complain about what you can't change. 

I can't wait for the firmware update though. I've been feverishly checking my dashboard on all of my devices, thinking that somehow if I shake the dashboard hard enough, something will snap and I'll get my update... Once again, I am compelled to ask if there are intervals that Fitbit pushes it's updates out at, or if it's random, or once per day, or what?

Best Answer
Ok I connected with chat to delete my old Fitbit account because I had made a new a few months ago and wanted the old on gone. Curious I asked if having this old account deleted would would interfere with me receiving the firmware update. She proceeded to take me through lots of troubleshooting trying to force update my tracker. In the end I was told by this agent Fitbit is asking for devices to be returned for investigation. She claims that my device is defective since it wouldn't respond to the forced update. Maybe I'm on the wrong thread and my apologies if so but I'm just wondering has anyone else has to send in for a replacement due to the same or similar reasons? I've only had my Blaze two weeks and I'm just not sure it's worth the trouble and wonder if it would be easier to just return the device all together and buy another one.
Best Answer

Agree with oBoy , amazing how many people are loosing the plot over the up date , im keen and cant wait for it but really it aint the end of the world , agree patience is a virtue good things take time and in the end rather wait for a perfect update that works than a update that dont 

Best Answer

Patience struggles.

But talk about first world problems right?

Best Answer

@thesuperzman wrote:

Well congratulations FITBIT - you have lost a customer. This is absolutely pathetic. Your excuses about rolling out slowly to ensure quality delivery is BS.  I would never get away with it with my customers.

You either don't have the bandwidth or capability to do it the right way. On top of that, your absolute dead silence for two weeks is even worse. Further, lack of clear direction when the roll-out will be complete or even regular updates as to the percent population that has received it is incredulous.

I am now on day 29 of owning a fitbit.  Mind you, with the full expectation of the upgrade. My decision to return must be made tomorrow.  Without the update, and quite frankly inaccurate step counting, I have ZERO choice but to return it. I will be going to Apple and the Apple Watch 2.  While their diagnositcs in Health aren't is good. I'll survive.  I can trust they will keep their customers informed and continue to regularly update.  I'm fearful that Fibit cannot or will not update in the future and, even if they do, no guarantee there will be a timely mitigation to any problems. I gave it as long as I possibly could. But you let me, as well as many others down. I will absolutely make sure everyone knows how the technology side of Fitbit operates.

Man this is just a ridiculous post...

Best Answer
Finally got mine today . Be sure to update over wifi, I was out when mine started and took over an hour, but once I walked in my house it finished up quickly.
Best Answer
0 Votes

oBoy wrote:

I agree with you that we could NOT make a change, but fitBIT COULD.

If they change their mindset, their WAYS in distributing the firmware more effectively, more efficiently, improving their manpowers, their servers capacity, etc. in order to meet customers' high demand.

Certainly, a modern company could not survive without A CHANGE in world of competition.

It is now the time for fitBIT to make more investment rather than eagerly generating benefits for Christmas and New Year season.

This firmware rollout is frustating for us as end-users, but inevitably very embarassing for fitBIT as the leading tracker company.

Best Answer

Do you know when the update option first appeared, or did you just see it then? I'm sick of checking the app every 10 minutes especially if they only push once a day or something. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I had forgotten about it and was going to sync before taking my husband to physical therapy and there it was (about 2:00 pm US central standard time).
Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

...That being said, we'll definitely be reassessing how we announce updates in the future, based on the commentary we've seen in this forum over the past week.

I thought that this previous comment has suddenly become relevant again. See it for yourself on page 9.

Best Answer

@MatthewFitbit wrote:

Hopefully that makes the rationale clear. If you have additional questions about our release process, I welcome you to send me a PM.

We do get the rationale for the scaffolded rollout, Matthew. In most cases, that’s not the issue. This update was promised far enough in advance and in such a key context that some of us made purchasing decisions based on it. Had the firmware update been announced at the same time as the initial rollout or had there been a preview release for a few people interested in the new features, things would have been quite different.

If it took four days to do 30% of the rollout, it might mean as many as twelve days for the rollout to be complete. Again, things would be different had we been told that the rollout could take up to two weeks, that the random algorithm didn’t take any factor into consideration (it’s pretty common to have those rollouts happen first in smaller install bases or in places where servers and support are more likely to be available).

None of this is your fault, Matthew. In fact, it isn’t anyone’s fault. But even without the breathing app, we can all calmly agree that this particular firmware update isn’t going so smoothly with the community as it’s going on a technical level.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@oBoy wrote:

It seems to be utterly shocking to some people that, yes, companies roll their software out this way. Like all of the time. The reason some companies like Apple don't is because they have a beta program. Fitbit doesn't. All sorts of tech companies use this technique.

@oBoy

Fitbit had a beta program for this Blaze firmware update:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Blaze-Firmware-17-8-301-7-Thanks/m-p/1576238/highlight/true#M3...

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

Finally got the update it's still updating but will report back with any issues.

Best Answer

@oBoy wrote:

I disagree with the way Fitbit's been advertising these features for like, ever, and some comments from the mods make me think that Fitbit noticed how dumb that was.

Overpromising and underdelivering might be the crux of the matter. It does sound like it was ill-advised to announce this update before the rollout process was really set up. Some kind of beta release might have helped catch the bug in the (in)famous 17.8.301.4 version. There could be ways to bring community members on their side in the whole battle over fitness trackers…

Wisely said. Easier said than done?

I can't wait for the firmware update though. I've been feverishly checking my dashboard on all of my devices, thinking that somehow if I shake the dashboard hard enough, something will snap and I'll get my update... Once again, I am compelled to ask if there are intervals that Fitbit pushes it's updates out at, or if it's random, or once per day, or what?

Same here. Even though we realise how these rollouts work and understand the virtue of being at peace with things we can’t change, the rollout process has some strange effects on us. Your behaviour, like mine, is a sign of something. Now, if they could also release the breathing app for the Blaze, maybe we’ll be more zen when the next update comes along.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@bbarrera wrote:

Fitbit had a beta program for this Blaze firmware update:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Blaze-Firmware-17-8-301-7-Thanks/m-p/1576238/highlight/true#M3...

Interesting! Still not clear on why that beta didn’t catch the bug, but it does help provide a bit more context to comments about “we roll out this way to prevent bugs”. Such rollouts are indeed very common, especially for online services, but this specific instance sounds like something may have been rushed… maybe the initial announcements about new features.
Best Answer
0 Votes