Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze Water Resistance

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Time and time again we have asked you people to make the device Water Proof.

Why can't you get it through your thick skulls that there are water sports/activities.

Can I wear my Blaze while swimming?

Fitbit Blaze is rain, sweat, and splash proof. We recommend that you do not swim or shower while wearing Blaze.

Moderator Edit: Edited post title for clarity.

Best Answer
364 REPLIES 364

@Gonfreaksss That's an interesting suggestion, but then how would you wear it once it was in the waterproof casing? On your wrist? In a wristband? Anyway, I will pass that suggestion along and make sure it gets heard. Thanks for the feedback.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

Thanks Eric.  I think on the wrist would be fine.  

The mere fact that Fitbit can say the Blaze can be customized to be waterproof will be a huge.  Many people that wear Fitbits simply want their activity tracked... so being able to wear a Fitbit while swimming without having to manually guess and log the activity will be a great bonus.   

Best Answer
Please remember that just because you could wear it in a waterproof manner doesn't mean it would suddenly be capable of tracking anything meaningful while swimming. Manual entry of the activity would probably still be necessary.

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@MikeF wrote:
Please remember that just because you could wear it in a waterproof manner doesn't mean it would suddenly be capable of tracking anything meaningful while swimming. Manual entry of the activity would probably still be necessary.

I undestand your points @MikeF, but the current technology used wthin the Fitbit trackers is similar enough to that used within the Misit Shine and the Moov such that the movements recorded by the 3 axis accelerometer within the trackers can be used to detect the changes in movement associated with turning at the end of a length as a minimum. In the case of the Moov they may even be able to automatically detect which stroke you are swimming.

This should not be a hardware change once the tracker is waterproofed, but a firmware change although this would not be cheap to develope as it would be a whole load of new algorythms to provide useful information from the accelerometer measurements.

The touch screen would not be usable as it is capacitance based, but the buttons could be used and if the waterproof housing was small enough, and it could be, it cold be housed into a larger strap like dive watches aften are.

I make these suggestions from many years of experience in mechaincal engineering of defence electronic equipment.

@ErickFitbit I do accept however, just because it can be done, does not always mean it will be done. Business cases and alike have to be made and approved first.

| Fitbit Sense 2 Aria
| Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (One UI 4.1 (Android 12))
| Windows 11 (32-bit Laptop)
Best Answer
@mbrett You clearly do understand my points 🙂 and I agree with your assessment. I wasn't ruling out the possibility of swim tracking with Blaze, just making sure that people were considering the requirement for changes beyond the physical that would be needed.

(And I come from many years of software and systems engineering of defence electronic equipment).

Mike | London, UK

Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, Charge, Flex 2 - iPad Air 2, Nokia Lumia 925 (Deceased), iPhone 6

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@MikeF wrote:
@mbrett You clearly do understand my points 🙂 and I agree with your assessment. I wasn't ruling out the possibility of swim tracking with Blaze, just making sure that people were considering the requirement for changes beyond the physical that would be needed.

(And I come from many years of software and systems engineering of defence electronic equipment).

@MikeFSounds like a small world then. It's when we find out we have worked on the same platform in the past. Smiley Very Happy

| Fitbit Sense 2 Aria
| Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra (One UI 4.1 (Android 12))
| Windows 11 (32-bit Laptop)
Best Answer
0 Votes

Even if the device does not track Water Activities/Sports (which many other products on the market do), it's the hassel of having to remove a device you spent a great deal of money on because you're worried that you will possibly destroy it. Out in the water I often just want to see the Time. I honestly like Fitbit, and want them to produce a great product. This post was created to gather attention on a topic which has been brought up in the past, many times, but has obviously been ignored (hence the tad bit of frustration in the initial post). We the "People" are their customers, and I am quite sure many of us take showers on a daily basis and have experienced this issue first hand @MikeF. We don't really care if Fitbit never produces a water-proof device, those of us looking for this feature simply just won't purchase another model. The product isn't being compared to a normal watch, but just the fact something much cheaper than the Fitbit can provide the same feature we are looking to see @Dominique. Matthew, I do thank-you for your explaination of why this feature doesn't exist today and if it's that difficult to combine features, why not just develop a waterproof model? @MatthewFitbit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes, why not a waterproof model w/o the altimeter?  

Best Answer

Why not go all the way - altimeter and 'waterproof' - the high-end competition have sport watches with a barometric altimeter and water rating of 5ATM or 10ATM which makes them suitable for swimming, snorkeling, diving into water, and of course showering. Most of us conversationally equate that to 'waterproof' - although they are not suitable for scuba diving. And those watches have multisport features that are unmatched by rest of market.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
Here is the standard for 5 and 10 atm rating.

5ATM - Water tested to 50 meters (165 feet). Suitable for showering or swimming in shallow water.

10ATM - Water tested to 100 meters (330 feet). Suitable for swimming and snorkeling.
Diving is out
Best Answer

That is a lower standard than for Garmin devices.

Garmin's 5ATM water rating includes these uses:

• Splashes
  • Rain or Snow
  • Showering
  • Swimming
  • Diving into water
  • Snorkeling

Garmin also states "IPX7 Withstands incidental exposure to water of up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes" which is the IEC 60529 definition of IPX7 rating.

Apple states "Apple Watch is splash and water resistant but not waterproof. You can, for example, wear and use Apple Watch during exercise, in the rain, and while washing your hands. Submerging Apple Watch, however, is not recommended. Apple Watch has a water resistance rating of IPX7 under IEC standard 60529. The leather bands are not water resistant."

Fitbit states "Surge has been tested up to 5 ATM meaning it is sweat, rain and splash proof." Really? That sure looks IPX7 to me.

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer

As is exemplified from the last few posts, it's worth noting that there is no industry standard for the ATM water resistance rating. Fitbit tests its trackers to the actual specifications listed on the Product Page, but we don't have insight into how other companies handle similar tests, so the comparison is difficult to gauge meaningfully.

Remember that submerging a tracker at 50 meters is completely different from swimming with it at 50 meters - moving the device underwater puts far more pressure on it than simply submersion, which is what we are testing with our rating.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner interesting in that Apple also rates their watch as IPX7, and since the middle '60s there has been a federal law prohibitng a watch rated as "Waterproof" they must be rated "Water Resistent"

Best Answer

I noticed the product specs just state "Splash and water resistant".  Can you provide the ATM rating if it is available?  Is it 5 ATM like the Surge, 3 ATM like the charge HR, or something else?  Also, why is FitBit so vague with showering?  They say they don't recommend it because it's not good for your skin, but they do not mention anything about whether the device would have a problem with it or not.

Best Answer

I don't have the manual or published specs in front of me yet, but the Fitbit Blaze is about as water resistant as any of our devices, and should put up a good fight against just about everything minus full submersion @jbrian00

Speaking personally, my trackers have all come into contact with water to varying degrees, and I don't think I've ever had a problem. Like we mention in the help content, however, it's probably best not to test that. 

Community Moderator - English/EspañolEmerson | Community Moderator - English/Español

I run all over SF. What's your story?

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner

I agree, being a teacher means a lot of water activities in the Summer and while at most it's just sprinkler or a little wadding pool I don't trust my Fitbit getting wet. I know they say it can handle it but I've heard so many conflicting reports. It will be a hassel taking it on/off everytime we do something where it can get wet and I'll loose all those steps and active mins also.

It would be nice if Fitbit released a fitbit that can handle some water. I hear so many reports about Fitbits breaking or not working after some water splashes, heavy sweat, washing hands etc. I don't even want to take a chance.

I don't need diving or laps but a Fitbit that I know 100% will not break if I get it a little wet from sprinklers or a little shallow water.

Best Answer

@matt9013 I took Blaze out in the pouring rain yesterday for about 45 minutes, uncovered sleeve, it did well. No issues here. You can always rely on our 1-year limited warranty if anything happens to it under normal circumstances such as rain and sweat.

Erick | Community Moderator

It's all about the food! What's Cooking?

Best Answer

@ErickFitbit

Cool, Maybe I'll just take a chance and hope for the best or rely on the warranty like you said. Don't think it will be getting that wet. At most a little submerged in a very shallow pool but even that I doubt. Mostly sprinkler I'd say.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have been showering daily with my Flex for over 2 years with no ill effects to my Flex. I also occasionally swim with it. Nobody could be less careful with the thing than I am. Just sayin...
fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer
0 Votes
ErikFitbit, how is pouring rain different than a shower? Would you say the Blaze has the same level of water resistance as the Flex?
fitbit flex user
"I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance....." from "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
Best Answer