Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze inaccurate heart beat issue

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Because of a new BP medication that I am now taking, I started really watching my heart beat and resting heart rate. I have noticed that lately, the Blaze will go up to 105 bpm just by walking over to the restroom at work. Yet, if I physically take my pulse, my heart beat isn't nearly that fast. In fact, there have been times when I can tell that my actual pulse is much lower than what the Blaze is telling me it is. For example, if the Blaze says my heart beat is 117, I can check my pulse and find out that it's really around 70 - 75 beats. 

One day at the doctor's office, the Blaze said my heart beat was 117; the doctor took my pulse and it was really 92. Still high, but again, doctor's office and I had just come in for the appointment and was running late.

Conversely, one day over lunch, I was walking over to the library (and I was booking right along) and my Blaze said my heart beat was 59! Well, that's not right!

I will be on the treadmill, walking at 4 mph and Blaze says my heart beat is around 96 - 97. Yet, two hours later, I walk 250 steps and the Blaze says my heart beat is 112 and I'm not walking as fast as I did on the treadmill.

My resting heart rate stays between 52 and 58; it will increase if I'm warmer at night (electric blanket) or if I haven't drunk enough water during the day, or something similar. Then it will go back down. I'm really not worried about RHR.

I am worried about the heart rate during the day. I know for a fact that the Blaze is not keeping an accurate account of my heart beat. One day, things will be fine and the next, the Blaze is way high with heart beat, even though I'm doing the same things at the same rate. And if I take my pulse physically, I can tell that the Blaze isn't being accurate, especially when I'm walking. When I'm lying in bed and take my pulse, then it is fairly accurate. But when up and moving around, something isn't right.

What can I do to get the heart beat more accurate on the Blaze? Is there anything? Thank you.

ETA: This morning, at 10:00 I walked 300 steps. The Blaze said my heart rate was 103 beats per minute. I just came back from walking 300 steps at 11:00. According to the Blaze, my heart rate never went above 81 beats per minute. Yet, it was the same route I take every hour at work and the same time period, same pace, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

It's great to see you around @PamSue and thanks for all the information.

Regarding to your heart rate data, I recommend taking a look at this post, where you will be able to see some things that might be affecting this reading and some tips to improve it.

I hope this helps, let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Thank you for replying to my message. My apologies for not seeing this sooner; I've been very busy since the holiday and haven't been on the internet that much.

Yes, I did check to make sure I was wearing my Blaze properly. And I've done a Restart. All to no avail. The other morning I was at 4 mph on the treadmill and the Blaze was registering about 104-107 bpm. That's probably about normal for me. Three hours later, I walked to the restroom, just a walk, certainly not at 4 mph; the Blaze registered around 120 bpm! Further, when I checked on my phone, the phone app didn't even show that it ever went above 110! That's been happening, too. The Blaze will say my heart rate is 120 to 124, but the phone doesn't show the same thing. 

Yesterday, according to my phone, I had 7 minutes of Cardio was in Fat Burn for 2 hrs, 1 minute,.with a peak of 114 at 11:50 a.m. I spent most of yesterday at my desk working on a project, only to use the restroom a couple times. There is no way, I was moving fast enough to justify 114 bpm, especially when it's not registering that high on the treadmill at 4 mph. . 

Further, if my heart beat was really as fast as what the Blaze is saying it is, wouldn't I feel out of breath? I don't. Not at all. And when I check my own heart rate, using a 15-second timer and then multiplying by 4, I'm not even close to what the Blaze is saying. 

I don't know how to say this....if I'm just sitting here at my desk (like now), my heart rate is 72 on the Blaze. That is accurate because I checked it, using a timer. But as soon as I get up and walk, even slowly, the Blaze skyrockets. But I can tell the Blaze is not accurate by taking my pulse manually. I hope that makes sense. 

Thanks for any help. Again, I am wearing the Blaze properly. And I have reset it as well. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hmmm, I'm not sure what happened, but I think the board ate my post.

Thank you for replying to my problem and I am sorry I didn't respond sooner. I've been very busy at work and didn't get on the internet. Anyway, I did read your post @AlejandraFitbit and I know I'm wearing the Blaze properly. In addition, I've also Reset the Blaze, hoping that would help. I'm still having trouble. 

On Wednesday, Nov 29 at 6:00 a.m., I was on the treadmill for about an hour, and finished up at 4 mph; the Blaze reported my heart beat was around 100 bpm. That's fine and I expected that. However, around 9:25 a.m., I walked over to the restroom at work, just a mosey, not even a walk really, and the Blaze was considerably higher for heart beat. I don't understand how that can happen when I'm not walking nearly as fast as I was on the treadmill.....at 6:00 a.m. on the treadmill at 4 mph, my rate was 100 bpm; at 9:25 a.m., my heart rate was 106, for a mosey kind of walk. This is not good.

I used a 15-second timer to check my heart rate myself, to compare it to the Blaze and found that my heart rate was really about 87, not the 106 the Blaze is telling me. At 11:25, again, just going back to our kitchen, my heart rate was 109. No, it wasn't.....it was around 90 bpm. 

I don't quite know how to say this, so please bear with me. When I'm sitting at my desk, the 15-second timer multiplied by 4 seems to be accurate with the Blaze. However, when I'm out walking, the Blaze is way faster than what my manual pulse-checking is. The Blaze on my phone has told me that I've spent 4 minutes in Cardio and there's just no way. SImilarly, walking back to the restroom should not have given me 1 hour, 11 minutes in Fat Burn, no matter how many times I've walked. Not for as slowly as I was walking. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. Walking every hour for 250 to 300 steps is giving me heart beat numbers that are way out of range for my speed of walking. And again, those numbers are not accurate.

Further, although the Blaze will tell me that my heart rate is 117 bpm, when I go to my phone to look at my heart rate record for the day, no where does my phone say that I was even close to 117 bpm. Anywhere. The record might show 108 or a similar number, but not 117, even though that's what the Blaze is telling me. So the Blaze and my phone must not be synching properly. Does that make sense?

Again, my thanks for responding. And again, I'm wearing the Blaze properly and have even Reset it. I'm still getting those really high heart rate numbers and for no reason. The numbers are not even close to being accurate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

FWIW, I just came back from my 250-step walk for the hour between 3 and 4 p.m. I actually walk about 500 steps. 

The Blaze said my heart rate was 112 bpm. When I checked, using the 15-second timer and manually checking my pulse and multiplying, my true pulse was 72 bpm, a far cry from the 112 on the Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes

This morning, I was walking on the treadmill. When I first started out at 3.4 mph, heart rate was 65 bpm. About a minute later, the Blaze's heart rate monitor went up to 137 bpm, where it stopped and (I am assuming) re-calibrated. Started up again, went up to 145 bpm, where it stopped again and re-calibrated. Started back up again, went to 92 bpm and stayed there.

At 3.4, heart rate was 137 bpm, recalibrated, went to 145 bpm, recalibrated, then down to 92 bpm.

At 3.5, heart rate was 92 bpm.

At 3.7, heart rate was 97 bpm.

During the hour I was on the treadmill, the Blaze app heart rate on my phone never went above 103 bpm. So the 137 and 145 bpm never showed on the phone app, but were definitely on the Blaze itself.

Walking into work, the Blaze shows a heart rate of 122 bpm; the phone shows a heart rate of 98. Now, I walk fast, but 122 bpm?

And if this isn't resolved, if it continues to show a really high heart beat (that is false), is that going to eventually affect what the Blaze shows as my resting heart rate? 

Would somebody please help me? What do I have to do?

Best Answer
0 Votes