Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze not lighting up when notification received

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

My Blaze does vibrate when I get a notification but it doesn't light up.  Shouldn't it do that?

Best Answer
0 Votes
80 REPLIES 80

I have to really give my wrist a good shake for it to light up

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Nancy625 Have you seen this thread? https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Blaze/Quick-view-and-Bluetooth/m-p/1209066

Some good tips on there from @Rich_Laue and @FerdinandFitbit which might help.

Best Answer

@Nancy625 Quick view does seem to work, just not enough for screen to light up with notifications/alarms. All this being said, I am still very pleased with the product. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi everyone!

QuickView and notifications working together might be a little tricky to figure out. It's a combination of factors that will give place to notifications showing on the display... let me explain further:

For QuickView to work, you don't only need to turn your wrist. If your hand is parallel to your body, it will not light up if you turn your arm. You have to actually raise your arm to have it in an horizontal position and this should activate the display. In the case your arm is already in an horizontal position, a good wrist twist will activate it.

Now, if we add an incoming call or a text message to the equation, if your arm is still, your Blaze will only vibrate and you will need to push a button on the tracker to activate the display and show the notification but also if you have your arm parallel to your body and you feel your Blaze vibrating, you will need to raise your arm and bring it to an horizontal position for the display to activate and show the notification without pushing any button and the same thing if your arm is already horizontal and you receive a call or a text message, you will need to give your wrist a turn to activate the display and the notification will show up.

Hope I explained myself about how notifications and QuickView work together. If you have any more question, let us know and we'll be glad to help! 🙂

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer

l really like the screen but as far as ease of use, i might go back to my surge

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you @FerdinandFitbit this is exactly my experiance. Arm raised and parallel to the florr, Blaze facing ceiling,  twist wrist and it lights up. Having fogured this out, I'm now able to turn the Blaze on with one continuous motion.

I found that after a notifacation that simply raising the arm turns the display on

If a user is still unsure I suggest placing the Blaze on a table,  now lift it up while rotating the screen towards you till the display is perpendicular to the floor.  The screen should light.  Rotate the watch away from you and it will turn off.

So as @FerdinandFitbit explains, i found as the arm at the shoulder is raised, the elow goes to a 90° angle, now twisting the upper arm so the lower arm is parallel to the floor. The Blaze is now coming close to the same orentation as it would be while placed on the table. Now twist the wrist so that you are able to view the screen. For me this motion is the motion i usually raise the arm to view a watch.

Best Answer

My quickview is still hit and miss. I wear it with face on inside of my wrist and thought maybe that was issue but I don't think it is. It just has a mind of it's own 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

As explained above quickview is designed to have the watch horizontal with the screen facing up, then rotate it to a vertical possition.

Ok i just did a test,

• placing my Blaze on the table face down, so that when lifted the face is upright.
  • waited for the display to turn off
  • Tilted it up and see that the face does light up.

Ok lets try it,  

• the Blaze is on the inside of my arm
  • I raise the arm up and parallel to the floor, with the Blaze facing down.
  • Twist the arm to see the clock
  • It works
  • Try again, and again
  • It doesn't always work,
  • I notice that going from a horizontal to facing down possition  it always turns on. 
  • Twisting it back to read and the face always turns off.

So to me it seems that in the inside of the wrist might be the problem.

Best Answer

@Rich_Laue Thanks so much for your input. Today was the first day I had quickview on all day and discovered that it drains the battery. This is actually fine by me. I was only experimenting. I never used quickview with my Charge and I don't mind having to tap the screen on the Blaze to see notifications or an incoming call or the clock or whatever. 

With anything in life, we take what works for us and discard the rest 🙂

Best Answer

Pressing the back button also lights up the face. 

Best Answer

I've also found that tapping on the display about two or three times will wake it up. I find it very helpful when I don't really want to twist my wrist.

Best Answer

@FerdinandFitbit wrote:

I've also found that tapping on the display about two or three times will wake it up. I find it very helpful when I don't really want to twist my wrist.

Didn't knew.. hidden secrets? Smiley Surprised

Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

what about when the silent alarm goes off to wake me up? All the videos show the alarm going off with a active screen?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great to see you around @jim518.

Yes, I've noticed that it's the same thing for alarms too and also for the Stop watch and the Count Down features. Whenever they take place, the Blaze will always vibrate if the display is off and turning your wrist/raising your arm will activate it or pressing the button. Also tapping the display multiple times will make the display to turn on.

Best Answer

So, anything that requires three paragraphs to explain is, in my mind, a failed implementation.

Just make an option for the screen to come on when a notification is received. That seems like sucha no-brainer I'm at a loss to understand why the option is unavailable.

Best Answer

I second you on this but if you want an answer is simple, if they gave you this option everyone would would select it, because its common sense, however if this was enabled, your screen would be on... all the time... if you are an actively social person, which would basically drain the battery way faster than they want it to drain, this would cause mayor upheaval in the forums by customers feeling duped as they expected a product that had a battery life of days and got one with hours.

This is clearly a situation where at the end of product design the design team in charge of battery life noticed it would not have the battery life they expected, so they were scrambling to cut battery useage any way they could, and they figured in all of their inteligence that cutting this off would save roughly anywhere from 30-50% of battery, and went ahead with it, this way the watch would meet the original battery life envisioned by the main designers. and only be a "minor" inconvenience to customers, however the idiot that suggested this has clearly never used a smartwatch in his life, as screen light up on ANY notification is basically smartwatch 101 in any brand or manufacturer.

That is aside the fact that whomever designed this thing to be removeable in order to CHARGE it should be should be taken out to the parking lot and shot, im sure if the screen would work as we want it to, the battery would last less than a day, which would put them in a really bad situation PR and Marketting wise, since they already advertised battery life as superior than their competitors.

I come from a combo of pebble watch and Charge HR, pebble on left hand, Charge on right, because it gave me the flexibility to have the best of both worlds, 5 days battery life on both devices on an active lifestyle, now the blaze comes out, and i IMMEDIATELY buy it, only to find it uses the same useless and awkward charging cradle the old nike fuel gps watch used to use, (which in a practical enviroment is uselless, tried it and never worked properly).

The pebble lasts a whole week without charge, and this is from a person that has at least 100 notifications or more a day, the e paper screen is ALWAYS ON, you dont have to flick a wrist to turn it on, if a call came in, it vibrated and automatically turned on the light (like it should), you could customize to give you weather etc, and best of all the pebble was FULLY submersible up to 10m and didnt require a cradle to charge.

What im going with this is i love my fitbit charge, best thing ever designed, (xept for it not being completely waterproof which still baffles me, as it would be easily doable) also fitbit has great CR service, it is beyond my comprehension how fitbit, having competitors pumping out stuff like the new pebble color, could seriously make such a under impressive device.

I am dissapointed at fitbit for letting this product reach market.

As you perfectly put it, a product that needs 3 parragraphs to explain its most basic feature of operation, its not fully waterproof even tho its a sports watch and marketted as such, and requires disassembly of the product to do the most basic operation of it (charging), is a product that should have never left the drawing board at the company, whomever greenlighted this thing to market should seriously be fired, i know i would have been if this had happened at my company.

Dear Fitbit, please try it again, make it charge like the pebble does with a simple magnetic charge connector, use a color always-on epaper screen (again like the pebble) for best experience and increased battery file and loose the "touchscreeny" ness and dissassembly-to-charge ness, if you bought a fitbit you didnt buy it expecting touchscreen, you bought it because expect perfect funtionality, long battery life, and ruggedness to survive an active lifestyle, like your charge hr did, have any of your designers ever tried "swiping" while running? clearly not, this is why when active, buttons are king, when you are running, trying swipe is a really bad idea, you always end up clicking or swiping different things. im just counting the days until im using this thing and during a hard sport the actual watch cube will pop out and get damaged, if i wanted a "delicate and fancy watch that didnt last a day worth of battery" id buy an apple watch, so please dont try to copy the apple device.

Again fitbit i am deeply dissapointed, i am going to return this product and keep using my pebble/charge hr combo until you get it right.

For the record, this was an Im angry but still love you/get your stuff together rant, not an i hate you never want to see you again rant, and yes it does make a difference. just wanted to make sure to say it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry for me I would not want the Blaze to turn on with every notifacation, there is to many texts I get at times that I don't need to read at this time. The screen turning on would be a waist of battery, besides lifting my arm up does turn it on.

Best Answer

I agree with Rich, I would not want it to light up at every notification.  I wouldn't want it to light up in a movie theater, in a business meeting, at the dinner table, etc...  A vibration telling me I received a notification, so that I can check it at an appropriate time, is much more logical to me and not to mention saves battery life.  

But I also agree, that the option should be there for the people who want it.  It should be a simple check-box in the settings.

Fitbit Blaze - iPhone 6S
Avid White Water Rafter/Kayaker, Hiker, and Scuba Diver.
Best Answer

Same problème !!!

Just make an option for the screen to come on when a notification is received. That seems like sucha no-brainer I'm at a loss to understand why the option is unavailable.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Mhmm.... Ok....

The screen turning on would be a waist of battery ?!? It's joke ??

What a difference between wrist up to turn on the watch? And automatically switch screen on when a notification is coming?

In both cases, the watch lights on.

Best Answer
0 Votes