Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blaze not recording active minutes from workout

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

For the past couple of weeks my Blaze has not counted any active minutes for recorded workouts. I've had two 55 minute workout sessions (weights & cardio) that have failed to add any active minutes to my day - zero.  They show up as counting toward the weekly exercise goal but fail to add any active minutes to the day.  But yet a 10 minute walk does get recorded.  This doesn't make any sense. Any suggestions?

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I have gone into the app and found that the trackers calculate active minutes using metabolic equivalents (METs). METs measure energy expenditure of the activity or exercise intensity. A MET of 1 is a body at rest. Active minutes are earned when the MET is at or above 3. And the tracker will only log active minutes if you have 10 minutes of MET 3 or above activity. So, in short, I will have to work harder when I bike. I actually find it hard to believe I am not at a MET 3 with my biking but I will try to ramp it up today. My calories burned for a 50 minute bike ride is in the 160s so not very much.

It looks like if you record workouts manually entering calories is the way to achieve active minutes. Using an online estimator for calories may be the way to go if you are looking to get active minutes.

Hopefully that helps! 

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
22 REPLIES 22

I don't have an answer for you, but I have the same question. I done two bike rides where my watch shows around 13 minutes of activity, but the fitbit app shows 50 minutes. I too would like to understand the discrepancy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same is happening with me. And if I go in and manually put in a hike or my work out it takes away a whack of my actual steps! This is brutal! I bought this to use as a help but this past week nothing is working. I'm not even getting notifications of my messages I have turned on to receive. What's up fitbit??!!! Annoyed!!

Best Answer

Since active minutes are based on calories,  could someone post a screen shot of the calories during the exercise? This is usually where the start of your answer will be found.

Calories are in a big way based on the heart rate, was the heart rate being recorded correctly?

Best Answer

Thanks Rich - I'll try to do that next time.  As far as I can tell the heart rate was recorded accurately, don't think that is an issue. I understand the point about calories but I can't imagine that my heart rate is higher on a regular walk than when I am doing weights with cardio.

Best Answer

I have gone into the app and found that the trackers calculate active minutes using metabolic equivalents (METs). METs measure energy expenditure of the activity or exercise intensity. A MET of 1 is a body at rest. Active minutes are earned when the MET is at or above 3. And the tracker will only log active minutes if you have 10 minutes of MET 3 or above activity. So, in short, I will have to work harder when I bike. I actually find it hard to believe I am not at a MET 3 with my biking but I will try to ramp it up today. My calories burned for a 50 minute bike ride is in the 160s so not very much.

It looks like if you record workouts manually entering calories is the way to achieve active minutes. Using an online estimator for calories may be the way to go if you are looking to get active minutes.

Hopefully that helps! 

Best Answer

Thanks so much - I'll give that a try.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I experimented today by riding faster in order to keep my heart rate up. For a 42 minute bike ride Fitbit recorded 40 active minutes. My average heart rate was 135 and I burned 311 calories.

Compare that to yesterday where for a 50 minute bike ride Fitbit recorded 13 active minutes. My average heart rate was 104 and I burned 169 calories.

The route is 10 miles and was pretty much the same for each day (variation is immaterial). The route is flat.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

So the gist is that in order to record active minutes we need to have a greater calorie burn and higher heart rate. Thanks for the help.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Has anyone noticed the app initially recording active minutes that suddenly disappear? I played golf (walked 18 holes). Initially the app showed 137 active minutes, but when I opened it back up later theu were gone. Not showing up on my watch either.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It's great to welcome you @VSalt.

I would like to know if you are manually logging any type of activity that might be taking away your active minutes, like walking or running? If you are manually logging these activities, delete them and see if your information goes back to normal.

Let me know the outcome. Smiley Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
That was it exactly. Thank you!

Irresponsibility - no single raindrop believes it's to blame for the flood.
Best Answer

You are welcome @VSalt, I am glad to hear that your issue has been resolved, if you need anything else, do not hesitate in posting it.

Keep the stepping up! Woman Very Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am not logging activities manually  but am still getting 0 minutes a day active. My husband and I have been together the last two days every minute and he's got over 347 minutes active and I've got 0. This is not possible.  What can I do?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Jsaville870 did you read the information in the accepted solution above? 

One thing you can do is make sure Fitbit has the correct weight, height, gender, etc for both of you. 

Best Answer

Who want ms to manually enter calories when I invested money in a device to do it for me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@DjLetigre when you say nothing at all was recorded, are you saying that no record of the event was recorded? 

What mode was used to record the event? 

@Hollidaz2 what is up? Or what issues are you having? 

Best Answer

I am having the same issues and not entering activity manually. It just stopped tracking. It will show up in my fitness pal but not the tracker itself or the app.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Recording my activity and shows in my exercise that I have worked out. Also my calories are not showing that on day correctly but overnight seem to reset to correct figures. None are manual recording. And my height, gender and weight are set up in my profile. I have just switched to blaze from Alta and not worked since I change correctly? Hope someone can help

Best Answer
0 Votes

How is this listed as "solved???!" Isn't the whole point to have a device that records a WORKOUT as "active minutes?" Right now I'm annoyed that the "solution" is to manually enter the activity. Why use the workout function if it's NOT going to count as "active minutes." 

Whoever the "Product Owner" is for this feature ... should be fired! 😞

I would include a copy of my screen shot of my workout ... but, your "reply" function doesn't support that, either 😞  

Best Answer