Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calories burned in workout-- way too high?!

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

So I've had Fitbit products for about two years, but I just got the Blaze, my first with a heart rate monitor, last week. I've been doing some walking and I feel like the amount of calories burned always seems way too high.

Today, I went on a walk for 32 minutes and it says I burned 470 calories. I always tracked walking as more like 6-7 calories per minute, nowhere near 12-14. I will say that I put a lot of energy into my walk, with an average HR of 141 and peak of 165. Even talking into account my BMR and calories burned at rest, making it more like 420 calories, doesn't something seem off? Not sure, as most people on the forums seem to maintain HRs of 80-90 when walking.

The tracker does seem to be more accurate when I'm less rigorous with my walking (EX: walked around the mall yesterday and it says I burned 178 calories in 30 minutes). I'm just not sure what to track my walks as in MyFitnessPal or what to make of the Fitbit's calorie burn. I have everything on my profile (height, weight, gender) set correctly. Any thoughts? 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

A warm welcome to the Community @Sarah1017 and thanks for the information provided about your calories burned, I recommend taking a look at this post where one of our Fitbit friends is providing a really good information about this.

I hope this helps, let me know how it goes. Woman Wink

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

Hi @AlejandraFitbit! Unfortunately, the discussion you redirected me to doesn't really have anything to do with my question. I'm saying that, when I work out, the number of calories burned just seems a bit high. When I walk for a half hour, it might say I burned 400 calories. If I do 45 minutes on the elliptical, it says I burned 600 calories. It just seems too high, as, even factoring in the calories I burn at rest, this would mean I'm burning upwards of 800 calories an hour working out.

Best Answer

Thanks for the information @Sarah1017. Could you please tell me how are you logging these activities? Are you manually log them or are you selecting the exercises directly from the tracker? 

Hope to hear from you soon. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer

@AlejandraFitbit I'm selecting the proper activity from the tracker (walk for walking, elliptical for elliptical).

Best Answer
0 Votes

Similar problem with my calories burned (Fitbit shows less calories burned). I select the type of exercise, workout, finish the workout and sync with the phone. I get around 130 cal burned for 40 min of weight training. When I log the same activity in My FitnessPal app, I get around 250 cal burned. I assume that Fitbit should be more accurate since using the real time hearth rate, pace etc. However, since the number of calories burned is so small I checked with other websites when you can add the average and top HR (years, height, kg, etc) and they give similar results to MyFitness Pal app. 
Is there a solution for this? I read somewhere in the forum that on your profile on computer (dashboard) you can see the accurate calories burned, and the app on your phone has the problem showing them. 

However, I have "accurate" calories burned only for the period when Fitbit and MyFitness Pal are linked. When I look into older activities I still have less calories burned for the same time as the newer. 

I bought Fitbit Blaze to motivate me and show me real stats of calories burned when working out (maybe upgrade to % of fat burned etc. in future), not to just get notifications of steps and badges.

Solution would be really helpful

Best Answer
0 Votes