Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging with a battery pack. . Why not?

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I got my fitbit Blaze a few days ago and I'm really liking it so far. . So anyway on the charging help page it says "Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge" and I just wondered why not a battery pack? I'm just curious why not and what could happen if I tried? I'm going camping in the summer and I don't think it would last the entire trip without a charge at some point.. would it really be so bad to plug it into the battery pack for a bit?
Best Answer
14 REPLIES 14

Using an unpowered USB hub I can see. I use an old USB 1.0 powered hub, not hooked up to amy computer, have all 4 Fitbit chargers plugged into it. Everything is there and can't be lost.

As for the battery pack, this would depend on how it works. Your Fitbit has its own charging control circuit, and I have one battery pack that won't work simply because there Fitbit does not pull enough data. The charger thinks the device is charged so out turns off.

Other than that I can't see a problem. 

Best Answer

@Cubeyz A warm welcome to the Community! I'm happy to hear that you're enjoying your Blaze. We recommend to use just your charging cable and plug it into your computer or other low-energy device. We don't recommend to use a battery pack because it may damage your tracker. 

If you charge your Blaze, it will last up to 5 days. What I usually do is that I charge it at night or when I'm watching tv so I don't lose my steps Robot Happy

@Rich_Laue Thanks for your input. 

Hope everything goes well with your camping! 

Want to get more active? Visit Get Moving in the Lifestyle Discussion Forum.

Best Answer

I have the same problem....i go into the back country for at least 15 days....what do you recommend i do?  Is there a battery pack you recommend?  There is no possible way to bring a computer on a horse.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If it was me I would try your battery pack while your still at home. I find the cheaper ones work better. The better ones tend to turn off when the charging rate gets low, this keeps the tracker from getting a good charge. 

There are some battery packs that have a solar cell for charging. 

Best Answer
Thank you 

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Cubeyz,

I have several devices besides my Blaze that charge by USB. I also have several types of battery packs. I have noticed that some devices charge differently on some battery packs. I have yet to charge a Blaze on any of them. My guess is that the statement is to protect the company in the event that their device isn't compatible with some battery pack on the market. They likely don't want to deal with customers complaining if there is an issue.

The biggest issue that I see is a battery pack with to low of a charge left will provide too low a voltage for the device to charge and may put it into an unknown state causing it to stop working. I have seen this with a different type of device. For that device, the fix was to let all power drain, after which it could be charged and worked normally. With some of the charging issue reported by other users, I doubt that this fix is likely to work if a battery pack causes an issue on a Fitbit tracker.

If you want to use a battery pack, my suggestion is to choose a high capacity one. I think it is least likely to cause an issue, especially if you don't run it close dry.

Good luck and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Rich_Laue,

For camping, I like your solar cell idea. It should help to avoid the chance of a potential problem of low voltage when a battery is to low on charge.

Keep up the good ideas and have a Terrific day!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I was concerned to see the following in this post. 

"We don't recommend to use a battery pack because it may damage your tracker." 

If this is indeed the case it should be more strongly worded on the instructions!! 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't see a reason why a cheap one will not work.

The better ones turn off when the current gets low, if the tracker doesn't pull enough current then the charging will not continue.

5 volts is 5 volts

Best Answer

Have tried to charging my Charge 2 on two separate external battery packs and found that neither will charge.  Shows to be charging but after about 12 to 15 seconds it stops like it's not longer connected. 

Honestly, instead of Fitbit saying that 'using an external battery pack to charge the device is not recommended" it would be more fitting to say "external charging is not supported on the Charge 2".  Not sure about other Fitbit devices but that's my personal experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@SunsetRunner I answered the reason your question in my last post above your post.

The reason it doesn't work is because of the safety circuits in the portable power pack.

When the phone that is being charged starts to get full, the charging current slows down. Your power pack then turns itself off.

Your tracker does not pull enough current to keep I running. 

When Fitbit says not to use it? I have no idea, 5 volts is 5 volts and the tracker has it's own charging control circuit.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My Fitbit Versa charges fine via my powerpack. I have 2 power-packs - both are the same brand. Charging works better on the higher capacity one. 

My flex2 doesn’t seam to draw enough to keep charging. Unless I keep turning the power pack “on”. This gives it enough power to make it last another day. 

My old Charge HR behaved similarly to the Flex2. 

PS I have not observed any depleation is battery life charging the Versa from the power-pack. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

It doesn't say why. 

Which brand powerpack is it? Is it still working out for you?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Don’t don’t use solar and battery packs only charge as recommended by the instructions my watch tracker has just packed up after going away and charging via solar. Rather go away on holiday switch off your watch and enjoy. 

Best Answer
0 Votes