Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Elliptical exercise discrepancy

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I do 16k on my cross trainer. Fitbit is set to elliptical exercise setting. Fitbit counts less than 5k distance and reckons I’ve done less than 5,000 steps to get to my 16k distance.

something is wrong with the elliptical settings - anyone else see this, it’s not very motivating 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Fitbit is rarely going to get elliptical distance to match what machine says.  There are lots of assumptions, which Fitbit has no way of knowing, built into the machine to get distance.  One of the obvious ones is stride length on the machine, and how the machine translates one foot turn into distance - is it just horizontal distance traveled, or somehow take into account up and down motion too.  And then there is the posibility of tension setting/gears.  If the machine can adjust difficulty, Fitbit has no way of knowing this.

But steps should be just based of wrist movement.  Does your wrist go front and back or up and down with each cycle?  Or is wrist held steady?  Or can you switch back and forth?

Despite these, calories would be based on heart rate, so should be good regardless of distance or step count.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks for your prompt response
Stay safe
Andy

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes