Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erroneous tracking

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.
I was driving home from Southern California and my Fitbit though I was walking and now says I have walked 10,000 steps today which I haven't. Can this be fixed?
Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I would like to add to the others concerns about tracking. I climbed 20 flights on the stairmaster and five steps in my building  and my Blaze records my having done only 6 floors. I walk the same distance as I used to using my FLex and the Blaze picks up fewer steps. It also counts arm movements alone as steps. I usually take 2500 steps to a mile but the Blaze needs many more steps to a mile. I am wondering if it was worth upgrading tot this device

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi there @lsi @Moo318. It's great to see you guys around!

Your tracker is a smart device that has been designed not to pick up your steps in these activities. It has been tested against driving, buses, trains, and other public transportation and should not give you extra steps when you’re traveling. On bumpy roads you may get extra steps but these should not make a big difference in your overall stats.

If you notice that the difference is very big, I would recommend restarting your trackers by pressing and holding the left and lower right buttons for 10-12 seconds and this will make your trackers to restart. 

It is not possible to delete steps and floors, but you can achieve the same result by negating them:

1. Log into your fitbit.com dashboard.
  2. At the top of the screen click Log > Activity.
  3. Find the data you want to negate by selecting a date range.
  4. In the activity menu, type in "Driving" and enter the duration and start time.
  5. Click Log Activity. Your steps, floors, and calories burned will decrease for the time period you specified.

Now, @lsi. For stairs, using a stairmaster will not give you more floors. 

Fitbit trackers that count floors have an altimeter sensor that can detect when you're going up or down in elevation. Your tracker registers one floor when you climb about ten feet at one time. It does not register floors when you go down.

Fitbit trackers do not count elevation gains on a StairMaster, inclined treadmill, or other stationary exercise equipment because your body does not change in elevation by 10 feet.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you need anything else!

Ferdin | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Help others by giving votes and marking helpful solutions as Accepted

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your comments on altitude and stairs. This morning I walked 3.5 miles. I know that as the sidewalk has markers every half mile. My BLaze only registered 2.2 miles. It also registered only 5, 200 steps and I know I take 2500 steps per mile. What do you suggest? Thank you

Best Answer
0 Votes

@lsi wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I appreciate your comments on altitude and stairs. This morning I walked 3.5 miles. I know that as the sidewalk has markers every half mile. My BLaze only registered 2.2 miles. It also registered only 5, 200 steps and I know I take 2500 steps per mile. What do you suggest? Thank you

Undercounting steps by a large percentage has been an issue since April when the current firmware was introduced. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Vote on it?

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/counting-steps-more-accurately/idi-p/1009751

Aria, Fitbit MobileTrack on iOS. Previous: Flex, Force, Surge, Blaze

Best Answer
0 Votes