Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fitbit Blaze step count inaccurate

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hey there,

Today was my first full day rocking my Blaze. I went to an outdoor festival and had some solid step count, however, when I got home and checked my step count I noticed that the blaze tracked about 1/4 the steps I actually took. My iPhone health app logged about 10K and my Fitbit did about a 1/4 of that (2500). Also I noticed it did an auto workout and thought I had rode my bike. I think this is due to my sons stroller I was pushing. Any suggestions on how to calibrate? If I go for a run and use the GPS- will that help? Thanks!

Best Answer
496 REPLIES 496

@kathysjourney i hope not i know several with the Blaze and their step count tests show within 2%.

I do remember when the surge was off for a few people Ms the long awaited update fixed it. 

While this is affecting some, it is not affecting all., and that is what makes it harder to find a solution. 

Best Answer
Yes the Blaze step counter is fairly inaccurate. I replaced my old Charge HR with another Charge HR and a Blaze on the same day. I wear both around the house and the Blaze averages 80-100 steps less per 1,000 steps. Doesn't seem like much but when you're walking 10,000 plus steps daily, this misses up to 1,000 of them. I'm past the return period by a couple weeks with Amazon otherwise I would have returned the Blaze and stuck with the Charge HR. Waste of money in its current form.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have the two units setup to different Fitbit accounts, and friended each other. This way you can follow the two units on the leader board, plus able to compare monthly totals. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hello all, I hope you are doing fine. If your Blaze is not being accurate, I recommend restarting your trackers. After the restart process, please test them. If you keep seeing that your information is not being recorded properly, feel free to contact our support team since they have the proper tools to see the information that your tracker is registering. For a faster response you can contact them via phone or chat.

Let me know the outcome. Woman Happy

Alejandra | Community Moderator, Fitbit

If you like something I recommended, I encourage you to mark that reply as "Best Answer". 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

No they're both set up under my one Fitbit account.  I don't really want to create another Fitibt account. But I do wear them both on the same arm, with the exact same settings and that's when I see the side-by-side step count discrepancy with the Blaze.

Best Answer
0 Votes
I put my Blaze on my dominant right arm (set to dominant) and the accuracy
has increased to almost 90% which I can live with, still disappointed with
the silent alarm being so weak
Best Answer
0 Votes
I thought I was going mad that the steps were not accurate after upgrading from my Charge HR to a Blaze so glad I've now seen these posts. I did try contacting support within few days of getting my Blaze to report the problem and from the responses you wouldn't think it was a known issue. Just the standard recalculate stride length (which only impacts distance not steps), reset etc. I am disappointed in the accuracy especially as it seemed fine with my Charge HR.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It's amazing how many people are still complaining about the accuracy of a device intended for baselining your workouts.  Did you all really think you would just strap this on and it would know how to adjust it's self to your stride no matter how tall or short you are?  This is new technology and it's only 200 bucks.  It's sports gear this will no more be accurate than the best football thrown by the worst quarterback.  I owned a great baseball glove when I was in little league and it still didn't improve my hitting or make me faster.  I have a Fitbit Blaze it's a guide for my workouts. I make sure I do my 10,000 steps a day instead of sitting stagnant in my office chair.  I make sure to get my hear rate into the healthy zones.  I record my food consumption on the app and it's stopped me from eating crap.  If want perfect accuracy I can hook you up with some pro athletes and their 10,000 dollar monitors.

Best Answer
Not looking for perfect accuracy but expected it to be as accurate as my previous Fitbit, which it isn't (and it cost more) 😞
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm complaining because I just bought a Blaze and Charge HR on the same day and wear them on the same arm to verify accuracy, (not all the time) and the Blaze is wildly inaccurate. My first Charge HR, which I just replaced with these two, was accurate like my second Charge HR, which I compare to the steps from GPS apps on my iPhone. I'm not expecting miracles, just consistency from one Fitbit to the next, regardless of model, for something as simple as counting steps.

Best Answer

I can't speak for everyone else, but my issue is that it doesn't count the steps accurately.  That's also the title you replied to.  It has nothing to do with stride. In fact, my strides were pretty accurate because I callibrated with the gps.

On my left hand I lose 15 to 25 steps per 100.  That's whether I count to 100 or 500 without looking at the watch.  On my right hand I'm within a couple steps either way.  Fitbit has now sent me my third bit.  They are trying, but it's odd that my first Fitbit worked accurately and then stopped.  Maybe it's my left arm?  Who knows.  

Your post is condecending and I'm not looking to insult people on a fibit board.  I'm glad you make sure you do your 10,000 steps.  That's what I'm looking for my Fitbit to help me with.  I'm hoping my $200 is enough to get me that benefit.

Best Answer
I understand what you're saying, but $200 I work hard for my money and I don't want to waste on equipment that doesn't work. As for accuracy why would I pay more money for a product from a company that states and based its reputation on its great technology and not be upset when it doesn't work properly.I understand that it's no way that it can count for every step but the blaze is so inaccurate all I have is a $200 digital watch I could get that at Walmart for ten bucks.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

It has a warranty you could take it back and get a refund.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If your not happy then take it back and get a refund.  That will send the loudest possible message to the Fitbit folks.  From what I've read here it sounds like a technical glich that many people aren't will to accept and that Fitbit can't fix.  I don't think there is going to be a download update that can get you what you want.

Personally I would like a diving Fitbit that counts flipper kicks.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Heck yeah, it has a 45 day warranty. I thought it had passed. It was only the Amazon return period that had expired. Done and done. Thanks for the heads up.

Best Answer
0 Votes

lol. Cool story, bro. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit One was perfectly accurate (like I never counted more than one step different from it), and cost a lot less money. So Fitbit is capable of making an accurate device. I'd think that "wow, it's 3% off" is not a big deal. But when it's 20% off or more ... that's a big deal. If I walk normally, swinging my arms normally, it will record about 650 steps per 1,000. If I keep my Fitbit-wearing arm perfectly still, it works. It's a little far off for a device that its competitors can do a better job on for the same sort of price point.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The One is monitoring the uo/down motions of your body in response to your steps, the arm mounted units are. Looking for the natural arm movements that happen while the feet are walking.
Oh take a walk across a miss covered field or a heavily passed rug, i find the one misses steps where as the Blaze doesnt.
Best Answer
0 Votes

Exchanged my Fitbit forthe  Blaze upgrade? . Walked on treadmill this a.m. After one mile Fitbit Blaze step count was completely wrong. I have set my stride at 18 inches, know the routine and find that fitbits, in general, do a poor job of recording steps.

I am considering returning for a refund. Poor product and...made in China. Booooooooo.

I am very disappointed for $200.00.

Help

Best Answer
0 Votes

I bought a Blaze and a Charge HR on the same day. The Blaze was horribly inaccurate compared to the Charge HR. Fitbit customer support was nice enough to send me a new Blaze after I called them out on how inaccurate my Blaze was compared to the Charge HR. Now I have 2 new Fitbit Blazes and 1 new Charge HR. I wear all three on the same arm, with the same settings, all day long. I wish I could say my Blazes were within 2%, but they're missing 20-30% based on what my Charge HR picks up. Also, I'll randomly count out 200 steps periodically and the Blazes both miss 40-50 steps, and the Charge misses one or two. The Blaze needs improvements or retirement.

Best Answer