Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS and upgrading

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi, quick question. I currently have a Blaze and was going to upgrade to an Ionic. Not sure if I should though. My query relates to GPS and battery life.

I am going on a long hike this year that will see me on the move for about 12 hours a day for about 10 days. I have a large power bank so can recharge each night, but want to record my route with GPS.

It seems the Ionic can only last 10 hours max using GPS so guessing this is no good? As far as the Blaze goes, if I use the GPS from my phone will this prolong the battery on the Blaze over the 10 hour mark??

Any opinions on how to overcome this gratefully received. Ideally would like to track everything all the time I'm moving.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Have you tested recharging with a power bank? I ask as fitbit do not recommend using these. They say:

"We recommend plugging your charging cable into a USB port on your computer or other low-energy device. If necessary, you can use a UL-certified USB wall charger. Don't use a USB hub or battery pack to charge, and only use the charging cable that came with your device."

taken from: https://help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/1799/

I'm not sure what the issue with power banks is but it would not be good to discover it didn't work on your first day of the hike.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Argh! (and other pirate type noises). No, I didn't know that... I know my phone charges OK. So I guess the question is then, if my phone is used for GPS and the Blaze is connected to it - will this run the Blaze down quicker or will it still last circa 4 days? I'll probably be able to do a mains charge every 3 or 4 days which the Blazes does with ease atm not using GPS. 

TY for the response Steve

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry but I can't help with the GPS / battery question as I've never made use of GPS for my hiking. Hopefully you'll get that answered soon.

Best Answer
0 Votes