Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate step counting

Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

I have the Blaze. I am having ht opposite issue. The thing tracks steps while I am driving I the car, typing in my computer, it is rediculus. Today, I specifically counted my actual steps to 2419. As of right now, the blaze has me at 5542. I have tried to reset it and it still happens. How does this get corrected.

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Best Answer
0 Votes
14 REPLIES 14

@Jimmoran3 welcome to the forums! Actually, all Fitbit trackers have a finely tuned algorithm for step counting. The algorithm is designed to look for intensity and motion patterns that are most indicative of people walking and running.  When working at a desk, cooking, or doing other arm movements, the Blaze on your wrist can pick up some extra steps if it thinks you're walking. Many of these situations—such as working or cooking—do include a few steps in-between stationary periods so the tracker tries to give you credit for those steps. You can definitely negate those extra steps by doing the following:

1. Log into your fitbit.com dashboard.
  2. At the top of the screen click Log > Activity.
  3. Find the data you want to negate by selecting a date range.
  4. In the activity menu, type in "Driving" and enter the duration and start time.
  5. Click Log Activity. Your steps, floors, and calories burned will decrease for the time period you specified.

Also, it's important to specify whether you wear the tracker on your dominant or non-dominant wrist:

• The dominant wrist setting decreases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any over counting of steps when your body is not moving.
  • The non-dominant wrist setting increases the sensitivity of step counting and should reduce any under counting of steps. Non-dominant is the default.

I really hope this helps! Cat Wink

PS. You might have noticed that I moved your post to the Blaze board as this was originally posted in the Charge HR board. In here, you'll be able to find more relevant info related to your tracker.

Cat Very Happy

Mariam | Community Moderator, Fitbit

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

@Jimmoran3
@MariamV

Just to let you know I don't have this issue in cars, trucks. boats, locomotives and of the like. I leave the whole thing alone. 

Owns both an Alta and a Blaze. Crew Commissioner for the LSPD (Los Santos Poilce Crew) in Grand Theft Auto Online (Xbox One). CEO of 666 Industries (Grand Theft Auto Online). Addicted to Member Berries.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Driver8666 thanks for sharing! Please let us know what you do while driving, so we can all learn new practices. That's what the community is all about, sharing knowledge and solutions!

I'll be looking forward to your new comments! Cat Happy

Did you receive the answer you were looking for? Mark the post as an accepted solution! 🙂

Best Answer

@MariamV

I did nothing. I heard of people's counters going up while driving or on a bus or train, so I tried mine in the cab of a locomotive. If it counts the steps in a locomotive, then it'll do the same in a bus or car. The locomotive was doing 90mph, which is the maximum speed permitted in a GO Transit MPI MP40PH-3C. Blaze was facing out towards the window on the side and I took a note of the steps before and after. Didn't move. I sat in the conductor's seat. A friend of mine that's an engineer allowed me on just to test this theory. 

Which means I don't have the issue of the Blaze counting steps when in a car, bus or train. Some people have had that issue, but I haven't. Sorry to say. 

The only thing it did count was it added a flight of stairs since the ladder on the side goes straight up and you're sitting pretty high up in any case. If you've seen a wide nose locomotive on BNSF or Union Pacific, that's how high it is off the ground. 

Owns both an Alta and a Blaze. Crew Commissioner for the LSPD (Los Santos Poilce Crew) in Grand Theft Auto Online (Xbox One). CEO of 666 Industries (Grand Theft Auto Online). Addicted to Member Berries.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Driver8666 thanks for getting back to me! That's pretty interesting, you know! I've googled the Union Pacific and it's definitely very high from the ground. Cat Surprised

union pacific.jpg

Thanks for sharing the results from the theory you tested! And i also see you mentioned that a flight of stairs was added, you can negate this info by doing the same process for when you negate steps. More info can be found here where my friend @EdsonFitbit provides instructions for doing this. 

Hope this helps! Cat Tongue

Best Answer
0 Votes
@MariamV

I didn't alter the steps, I left it as it is because of the altimeter. Had I did that climbing stairs, it would've amounted to the same or more.

I still don't have the issue though.
Best Answer

@Driver8666 it's great hearing back from you! Cat Wink well yes that's true! 

Hope to see you around more often!

Best Answer
0 Votes
@MariamV

I never alter anything on my device unless I have to.
Best Answer
This was very helpful. I am tempted to set my blaze to dominant to make it less senstive even though I wear it on my non-dominant wrist. What di you think?
Best Answer
0 Votes

@Driver8666 I see. Yeah, that's reasonable. Cat Happy Hope to see you around more often sharing best practices with the rest of the Community!

@DavidSma thanks for stopping by! Are you experiencing extra counting of steps? Let me know. Yeah, you might wanna try if it works setting your tracker on the dominant wrist and then posting back with the results! Let me know how it goes. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi again,

I tried setting my Blaze to dominant wrist while wearing it on my non-dominant wrist.  It still seems to be over-counting steps while I am inside my house.  Logged over 500 steps this morning in about 2 hours of just taking a few steps here and there in the house.  Also, the stairs problem persists.  Logged 27 flights yesterday which is, I'm sure, way more than I actually climbed.  

I am now just shutting down my Blaze when I am inside.  A little discouraging.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey there @DavidSma! It's great hearing back from you. Cat Happy I see... Just out of curiosity, have you tried restarting your Blaze? If not, then I suggest trying the following:

1. Press and hold the Back and Select buttons (left and bottom right) until you see the Fitbit logo on the screen. This should take less than 10 seconds.
  2. Let go of the buttons.
  3. If your Blaze doesn't work normally, use the instructions in How do I turn off my tracker? to turn Blaze off and back on again.

Give that a try a couple of times and then let me know how it goes. I'll be around! 

Best Answer

Thabnks!!  I'll give it a shot.

Best Answer

@DavidSma you're more than welcome! Cat Wink sure thing, give it a try and let me know how it goes. I'll be around! 

Best Answer
0 Votes