Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inaccurate treadmill distance reading

ANSWERED
Replies are disabled for this topic. Start a new one or visit our Help Center.

Hi gang, just got finished running a 5k on the treadmill. I selected the exercise treadmill option before I started, and hit the stop button just after I finished. The treadmill itself recorded three miles run in 24 minutes, but the Blaze only recorded 1.7 miles. Anyone know why? This isn't a deal-breaker or anything...I really like the watch, but that's a pretty big disparity.

Best Answer
103 REPLIES 103

I agree @Wigs4 and do the same math.

CorrectStride = CurrectDistance/CurrentFitbit distance * CurrentFibitStride

This is the programmer in me.

Isn't it neat how easy simple math works?

Please note that if the speed of the treadmill changes, so will the stride.

Best Answer

It would be useful to have a setting in the app to set stride length for the treadmill exercise and continue with automatic stride length on outdoor runs using GPS. Currently you can only have automatic stride length on or off. Because I’m mostly running on the treadmill at the moment I’ve set my own stride length so I’ll have to try and remember to turn this back on if I go for an outdoor run. Surely it can’t been too difficult for the developers to offer a different stride length for treadmill exercise? 

Best Answer

On treadmill desk at work. Distance was 5.4 miles. Versa recorded only 1 mile. I went to manually enter in the distance and when doing so Fitbit added to my step count, which was more than I actually stepped. Very disappointing. Any suggestions?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Set up your stride correctly.

When manually adding a distance, Fitbit users the users stride to guess at the steps taken. If the stride is not set to the users stride then the steps will be off.

As for the treadmill, have you confirmed that Fitbit is counting the steps correctly?

Fitbit will then use the stride setting to fires at the distance.

If the users stride setting is to short, then the distance reported will be less while on a treadmill

If a users stride setting is to short, then the steps reported when adding a manual distance will be to many. 

You direct want to check the accuracy of the steps recorded, keep hands of the support bars, then we can set the stride. Unfortunately as the speed changes, so does the stride.

Best Answer

Hi I’m new to the Fitbit only have it 3 weeks was very impressed week one it was very accurate/ now not so much. I use a treadmill a lot- and the Versa is WAY off I did 2.5 miles yesterday and it only logged 0.9! I have also had an issue when Put on first thing and walking just a few steps it says” congratulations you’ve completed your 250 steps this hour! I’m very disappointed with this- I think I will return it.

Does anyone know why when using the excercise icon it does not log distance at all- what’s the point of using the treadmill excercise option if it dosenplog distance- it won’t count toward your daily total!?!?

Moderator edit: merged reply

Best Answer

Not sure I totally buy into this.  I do a steady, brisk walk both outside and on the treadmill.  Up until about 1 1/2 - 2 weeks ago, the counts were very close.  Not exact but close enough.  Now, I'm losing about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile when I walk on the treadmill.  I NEVER hold on to the bars as I know this effects the distance on my Blaze.  I've tried rebooting to no avail.  I'd like to have the freedom to use my treadmill when I need to, but it's frustrating not having good stats.  Any other ideas?

Best Answer
I am very frustrated with the inaccurate mileage calculation on my versa. Again today I walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill, my Versa logged my distance as 0.9.  that's not a few steps off that's WAY off..    this device wasn't cheap, and for it to be that far off is not acceptable.
The thing I really don't understand is why no one form FItbit is responding to these issues???
Best Answer

With the treadmill your Versa had absolutely no way to measure distance. The user is not really moving,  but the ground under the user's feet is what moves. 

Fitbit counts the users steps by looking at the motion of the arm that the Versa is on.  Then takes the steps recorded ans multiplies or by the users stride setting. 

If the difference is of the first step is to look at the record steps counted.

Once we have confirmed that the steroids are being counted properly it is a simple formula to get the users real drive setting. 

Above I mention that steroids are counted by looking away the motion of the arm? This means that is the arm is resting on the sort,  along with how burning only 60% of the calories,  the lack of atom movement may cause the Versa to miss steps.

To sum up when it comes to treadmill distance,  talking about miles without mentioning the steps recorded,  will not give enough information for a constructive response. This is because your Versa had no reference point to measure distance will on a treadmill

Best Answer

Hi @CM6106 and @IreneGa, it’s nice to see new members around! Hi @Rich_Laue, thanks for stepping by and sharing detailed information about how the distance is measured.

@CM6106, there are some factors that may affect the distance recorded by your device, for example, if you're holding the bards of the machine or not moving your arms as if you were running on the ground. Also, you can try the following:

1. Restart your Versa by holding the left and bottom right buttons for 10 seconds. You should see the Fitbit logo.

2. Verified that your personal information (age, gender, height and weight) is correct.

3. Adjust your stride length in the Fitbit app.

@IreneGa, thanks for checking our suggestions as well for trying to restart your device. Just to confirm, are you using the Treadmill option that is in the exercise section on your tracker? Also, has your step count been recorded accurately?

I'll look forward to your response.

Best Answer

I have the same problem.I just walked 2 miles on the treadmill and my fit bit tracked 1.25. I don't like this

I'm trying to get the right amount of excersise in and relying  on my fit bit won't help

Best Answer
0 Votes

With the treadmill we don't want to look at the distance reported until we look at the step count accuracy and the stride setting. 

Why, because while on a treadmill Fitbit is not able to monitor the belt to are walking on. Fitbit takes the step count and the stride setting to come up with a distance. 

If the distance reported is wrong then the step count is off or your stride setting is off. 

Best Answer

Same thing happened to me this morning too!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mrea421 how accurate is the step count, because the user does not move while on a treadmill, the distance is a virtual distance. 

Best Answer

I don’t like running five miles and having my watch register over a mile less than my treadmill. I do not hold onto the bars. This is a huge deal for me. This is my third Fitbit and probably my last.

Best Answer
0 Votes

As mentioned above @PGTW your Fitbit has no way to measure the virtual distance while on a treadmill. The body doesn't move but the ground does. GPS is of no use and Fitbit will take the steps counted and multiply these by the assumed users stride. If the distance is off the it is rather the steps counted in-accurately, the stride setting wrong, or both. 

Unfortunately unless the tracker can talk to the treadmill this wl be an issue with every brand. 

Best Answer
The Fitbit is reasonably accurate on a treadmill if you don’t hang on to the bars. It needs you to swing your arms. I put mine in my pocket... works for steps but does not read heart rate 💔 🏃‍:male_sign:

Sent from David's Ipad
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am a runner. I prefer to run outside but in the colder weather I use the treadmill. The treadmill is reading 3 miles and my fit bit Versa 2 only records 2 miles . I do not hold the rails , and I keep my arms at a 90 degree angle. What gives? Is this on going issue going to be resolved?

Best Answer
0 Votes

Are your steps counted correctly? 

Your using the treadmill mode? 

Is your stride set for the speed the treadmill is running at? 

The bodies stride changes with the speed of the treadmill, you may need to adjust the speed so that your stride matches outside. 

In short it isn't always easy for Fitbit to count virtual distance. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I am using treadmill mode. How do I set my stride?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Mine doesn’t work properly, either. I’ve written in for 2 years, but no answer...

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes